Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yup, Iíve seen them on the maps! Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Is this a small cell, wifi AP? It's located at the Saddledome Scotiabank in Calgary.Name:  20191109_225433.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  42.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Looks like a Cisco WiFi access point.
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produc...ies/index.html
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    There are new antennas mounted on top of Nobletonís 2nd water tower...the one located north of Mactaggart Dr. on the west side of Hwy 27. The other water tower (farther south on Sheardown Dr.) already has Bell and Rogers antennas...Iím talking about the other water tower farther north). The equipment looks like Bell (Huawei) but Iím not 100% sure. Bell, Telus, and Rogers phones donít perform particularly well north and east of that area, so they could be Freedom antennas. Having said that, the site hasnít been registered in the ISED database, which might mean that itís not online yet...so thereís still the possibility that itís a Bell site.

Can anyone confirm?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It could potentially be Rogers eNB 33939. Rogers still uses Huawei for 3G, the 4G should be Ericsson (they look like plain white rectangles). Likewise, many smaller providers also use Huawei for rural access (like Xplorenet)

Feedback Score
    @zivan Rogers is 100% Ericsson in Ontario.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ah ok, my mistake, in the west they are still deploying Huawei 3G even on brand new upgrades, at least they were a few months back when I visited one.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Iíll try to get a closer look and take some pics next time Iím up that way.

Rogers has gotten very aggressive with new site builds in the last few months. Theyíve been filling in coverage gaps nicely in more and more semi-rural areas (outside the suburbs but not quite fully rural)...even in areas where Bell/Telus coverage is low. Interesting times!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Cell tower maps that pull data from the ISED database have recently been updated (as of Dec 4th) to show a bunch of Telus sites in the GTA. Theyíre all 1900MHz with channel widths of 2.5MHz. Does anyone know what these are? The old CDMA networks have been decommissioned so there shouldnít be any CDMA data in the database, but then again I wouldnít be surprised...

Feedback Score
    Those are 5 MHz B25 cells. Bell has deployed them in GTA, don't know why they show up as Telus.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I canít believe how bad the data is represented in the db.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Update on that Nobleton water tower. I was up there the other day. Appears to be a Freedom site. They had a short monopole site slightly south and on the east side of Hwy 27, next to a school. That monopole is no longer there so Iím assuming theyíve relocated to the water tower. The equipment on the water tower looks identical to the equipment on a brand new tower that was just constructed on the north-west corner of Rutherford and Weston roads in Vaughan, which is also a new Freedom site. Nokia radios and antennas I believe.

If Iím correct about the water tower site, then Nobleton residents now have stellar Freedom coverage and very mediocre Bell/Telus/Rogers coverage.

Freedom has also gotten very aggressive with expansion recently...new sites popping up all over the place.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    I think China is the only country that has real 5G deployed so far. These units can be found in offices and major hotels:

Name:  IMG_2078.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  19.3 KB

They are about the size of a home router and you might find several in a meeting room. An interesting feature is that they can host a private network as well as the usual public network. So if this is a China Mobile install, users on China Unicom can use the 5G features at their workplace. (the admin would enable this)

This is an 8K monitor streaming from a 5G node at the Huawei R&D centre in Shanghai:

Name:  IMG_2080.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  61.0 KB

You can see the bit rate in the lower left of the screen. It as varying between 150 and 300 while I was there.

Feedback Score
    It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a Huawei Lampsite radio or picocell with a 5G sticker on it. But what do you mean by China being the only country having real 5G? Are you talking about SA? I don't think they have SA yet. Korea and US have NSA already, as do a few other countries.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 12-26-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    I donít think the 5G deployments in the US are offering anything substantial yet. At best, Verizon has some spots where you can look at your screen and say wow Iíve got 5G but itís not really useful for anything other than speed tests to show your friends. T-mobile to its credit has a much wider coverage but doesnít really offer anything more than a 20% faster data rate on a narrow bandwidth. These arenít fulfilling the promise of 5G.

Sorry I am not familiar with the progress in South Africa but think itís great if they are moving 5G along.

China has useful 5G today and offers a wide variety of handsets and other devices to take advantage of it.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast