Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    600 MHz auction will take place next month. What are your thoughts on how to use this spectrum?

It can be used for LTE on B71. Or NR on n71.

Most operators will get 5 or 10 MHz. In that scenario, keeping in mind that NR is only 10-15% more efficient than LTE, does it even make sense to launch NR on such a narrow channel?

Would you rather see 5G sooner, even if it means it'll be slower than LTE today? Or would you rather see the real deal 5G with multi gigabit speeds?
    Personally, I think it is efficient to deploy it as n71 because you still need lowband for a 5G network...I don't see it being used as 5G until the networks are desnified...definitely helps out in rural areas.

Does B71 require new panels or can it be activated on Huawei & Erricson RAN? Excited to see 600MHz be deployed.

Will it be able to aggregate with B12 and or B5? Very excited to see what B71 does to the networks as I desperately need it here as B12 just doesn't stretch far enough in some areas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Agree it will eventually be needed for 5G coverage. I was more concerned with people's expectations for throughput when they are on 5G. Most people would expect it to outperform LTE, and in this case it wouldn't!

B71 requires new radios and antennas. The RAN can aggregate any combos, but the phones usually don't support CA with 2 low bands due to large antenna requirements.

B71 propagation is very similar to B12. I don't think you'll notice any improvement. The frequency is almost the same.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Agree it will eventually be needed for 5G coverage. I was more concerned with people's expectations for throughput when they are on 5G. Most people would expect it to outperform LTE, and in this case it wouldn't!

B71 requires new radios and antennas. The RAN can aggregate any combos, but the phones usually don't support CA with 2 low bands due to large antenna requirements.

B71 propagation is very similar to B12. I don't think you'll notice any improvement. The frequency is almost the same.
    So is B71 even needed for LTE as we don't need it to take usage off B12....because there is none...but it would be nice having another low band channel at 5 or 10MHz.

Also, do you think we'll see much more substantial data (50-200gb) allotments or even UNLIMITED for 5G? The networks now can handle unlimited from my testing. So tired of paying outrageous prices for next to no data...sucks for us nerds who love running network speedtest's.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I think its definitely needed for LTE in the West (at least a sliver for VoLTE), as there are large swaths of major highways not covered by any signal. This lower frequency, combined with the fact that its generally deployed as 4T4R, should allow for improved rural coverage even when compared to 700MHz bands.

Feedback Score
    Hmm. B71 uplink is from 663-698 MHz, while B12 uplink is from 699-716 MHz. They're basically adjacent, so I wouldn't expect much better propagation with uplink, which is always the limiting factor for rural coverage.

4T4R remains to be seen, especially for LTE. It's a big investment for the operators and unclear if they're going to deploy it that way.

My gut feeling is 600 MHz will be deployed for NR only as n71. I just don't know if that will be enough to launch commercial 5G service without having another high capacity band to complement it.

Feedback Score
    Don't they have 2300 MHz that is not in use that could be used as sub 6 5G? Or some 3500 MHz?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes they do, but currently that spectrum is only allowed for fixed devices (i.e. wireless home CPE). It is not licensed for mobile usage.

ISED will repurpose the 3500 MHz spectrum in 2020 and allow mobile usage at that time.

Feedback Score
    Yes they do, but currently that spectrum is only allowed for fixed devices (i.e. wireless home CPE). It is not licensed for mobile usage.

ISED will repurpose the 3500 MHz spectrum in 2020 and allow mobile usage at that time.
    I know that Xplornet uses 2.5 and 3.5 GHz for their Home LTE fixed wireless, as I installed these services starting last year..

Feedback Score
    Yeah definitely! Bell also offers it in certain areas, on LTE:
    https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Wireless-to-the-Home

These types of services (fixed wireless) can be migrated to 5G today without requiring new licenses from ISED. But the timeline for mobile 5G is still uncertain in Canada.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I have seen that Band 30 WCS out in Winnipeg on Telus, is that the same? Was able to aggregate it with 4, IIRC.

I wonder about Band 71 in a capacity sense, to offload some users off 700 mhz, which can be fairly slow now in some areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    I have seen that Band 30 WCS out in Winnipeg on Telus, is that the same? Was able to aggregate it with 4, IIRC.

I wonder about Band 71 in a capacity sense, to offload some users off 700 mhz, which can be fairly slow now in some areas.
    Definitely should help. I find Band 12 ONLY sites suffer...hard to get over 10mbps unless you're facing the site. 5MHz is crap...

Feedback Score
    My phone sits more.on band 5 than band 12 when I'm in rural areas, or even buildings in urban.

I see that pattern in AB and BC.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6