Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 147

Thread: LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    420
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    0

    LTE (and 5G) knowledge sharing

    Why is TELUS so upset with upcoming 5G technology? What is this Edge Computing they talk of? TELUS wants to move servers from the data centres of other companies into their own offices across Canada? This would give us consumers faster and more reliable data access while TELUS takes “a cut” of the action?

    5G Technology Has ‘Let Us Down,’ Says Telus Chief Technology Officer:

    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/telus-5g/
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Funny to hear Telus CTO saying that with 5G "we ... don’t make more money".

    MEC can allow some latency-sensitive and bandwidth-intensive content to be deployed closer to end users. Imagine for example, the Game of Thrones latest episode being loaded at edge nodes upon release. If lots of users plan on streaming this episode on their mobile device, MEC would save tremendous backhaul and IP transport resources for the operators. Telus could even partner with HBO to take a cut of the action, as you said.

    This is just one example. I'm sure creative people will come up with more useful scenarios in the coming years. For now, don't expect MEC to be ready for prime time. It is still years away to be useful.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    524
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Seems to me this is default Huawei reselection settings, as it used to do the exact same thing with Rogers when they had Huawei RAN here. Basically, signal quality on B7 would be so low that you would miss calls/have unusuable data, and eventually the phone would figure this out and drop to 3G.

    Interestingly enough, with the Rogers Ericsson swap, it now is very hard to get onto B7 and it will very easily drop down to low band even with decent B7 signal.

    Hopefully Telus can tweak this to find a happy medium.
    Interesting fact.



    Today I disabled band 2, 4, 7 and my phone connected to band 66 15 MHz on Virgin. I didn't know Telus was also broadcasting band 4 as band 66. Cool to see.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    524
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Is there a site there, or is that your location? It looks like you're right between 3 different sites, so that would explain the poor SINR. As for RSRP, adding the second B7 would have reduced the available power for the first B7 channel, so that might be the reason. This is because a single RRU is usually used for both B7 channels. The first B7 might've been at full RRU power, and adding the second B7 required reducing the power to make room. Do you know how much your RSRP has changed for B7 specifically (before vs after)?

    You could go to your phone's menu, since you have a Samsung, and disable B7 LTE completely. Dial (*#2263#). Make sure to apply the changes. Any time you want to do a speed test, go and enable it again. That should help, but unfortunately you're in a really bad location right now
    I only left active band 5, 12, 13, 17. My battery live has improved a lot. I can live with slow internet but with much better signal and battery life.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,624
    Feedback Score
    0
    5G release date on Bell?

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Your guess is as good as anyone's!

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,346
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Funny to hear Telus CTO saying that with 5G "we ... don’t make more money".

    MEC can allow some latency-sensitive and bandwidth-intensive content to be deployed closer to end users. Imagine for example, the Game of Thrones latest episode being loaded at edge nodes upon release. If lots of users plan on streaming this episode on their mobile device, MEC would save tremendous backhaul and IP transport resources for the operators. Telus could even partner with HBO to take a cut of the action, as you said.

    This is just one example. I'm sure creative people will come up with more useful scenarios in the coming years. For now, don't expect MEC to be ready for prime time. It is still years away to be useful.
    If these carriers want to 'make more money', then they need to effectively replace Cable/xDSL services (including 'TV') with something over wireless. Similarly, in more urban areas, and in the not too distant future, every type of IoT, smart grid, driverless vehicle, etc. will need something better than what exists today. Canada may have high speed, but its data is crazy expensive. I pay $30USD for 'unlimited' which works out to 50GB of full speed LTE, and 'deprioritized' beyond that. Similarly, Netflix is included, as is unlimited voice/sms, including Canada.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,624
    Feedback Score
    0

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    If these carriers want to 'make more money', then they need to effectively replace Cable/xDSL services (including 'TV') with something over wireless. Similarly, in more urban areas, and in the not too distant future, every type of IoT, smart grid, driverless vehicle, etc. will need something better than what exists today. Canada may have high speed, but its data is crazy expensive. I pay $30USD for 'unlimited' which works out to 50GB of full speed LTE, and 'deprioritized' beyond that. Similarly, Netflix is included, as is unlimited voice/sms, including Canada.
    OH Canaduh.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    956
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    Interesting fact.



    Today I disabled band 2, 4, 7 and my phone connected to band 66 15 MHz on Virgin. I didn't know Telus was also broadcasting band 4 as band 66. Cool to see.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    They have B4 MFBI-ing as B66 and native B66 here (forgot it was either 10 or 15 MHz). Not allowed to connect to the native B66, however.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    Feedback Score
    0
    The AWS-3 part would be 10 MHz.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Do you see providers deploying 5G NSA first then SA? Which Option type are they looking to deploy first? To me it seems most logical to go with Option 3 or 3A.
    Now it's looking like the industry has settled on 3x, followed by 2. There won't be any interim options. Pretty much all operators and vendors are aligned on this globally.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    524
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey Sheytoon, is bell doing 5 CA anytime soon?

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry I don't know. And I wouldn't be able to talk about it before it's announced anyway. Are the speeds not fast enough today?

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    524
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Sorry I don't know. And I wouldn't be able to talk about it before it's announced anyway. Are the speeds not fast enough today?
    I just see Telus adding more and more antennas here in Calgary, now pretty much every tower has 5 to 6 sets of antennas.
    And as soon as SNR is at or below 10 speeds really degrade.
    Also, my phone is always with the same CA, as I turn not a few bands I discover that the tower is broadcasting a lot more bands.
    Before we had 2 4 5 17. Then they added 2 bands 7. Now I can see in the same tower, 2 4 5 7 7 13 17 66.
    My phone pretty much sits on 2 4 7 7. Rarely I see 2 4 5 or 2 4 12/17.

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    956
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've seen 900Mbps+ speed tests from a few places worldwide, so not fast enough

    Is there even any other band which can be added to 2-4-7-7? Last I checked, there was not in recent 3GPP releases...only way to get more bandwidth is to move to contiguous carriers and involve LAA B46.
    Some valid combos that might be possible in Canada for 100MHz of spectrum:
    2A-2A-66A-66C
    2A-2A-66D
    2A-46A-46C-66A
    2A-46D-66A
    4A-46A-46D
    7A-7A-46D
    46A-46D-66A
    46D-66A-66A
    46E-66A

    As you can see, the combos not involving LAA are basically impossible for any carrier with current spectrum holdings.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Nascar i736 - I have one and i'm sharing the pics with you people.
    By gastonrey in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 10:04 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 05:05 PM
  3. Found this humorous and thought id share
    By ephyouckay in forum Nextel Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 10:40 PM
  4. HELP! someone with alot of bluetooth and PPC knowledge!
    By trekcomp99 in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 01:22 PM
  5. free and clear america share plans?
    By Kane3030 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 01:02 PM

Bookmarks