Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Annoyance with sub average coverage-II

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Annoyance with sub average coverage-II

    Something went wrong with the original thread on this. This series of recent articles is a good place for the original poster to look for an explanation of the original poster's concern:

    AT&T: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    Sprint: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    T-Mobile: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...e-coverage-map
    Verizon: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...n-coverage-map

    Geographic Coverage (native)

    Verizon: 81%
    AT&T: 66%
    T-Mobile: 58%
    Sprint: 29%

    To see all the coverage maps together go to https://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml

    When comparing these numbers you have to realize that they don't include roaming coverage. On postpaid service, on all the carriers, you'll get some roaming, depending on whether or not the carrier is willing to pay for it. In some cases you'll get voice and text roaming, but no data roaming. For example, Sprint has the smallest native network, but Sprint customers can roam onto Verizon in most areas where Sprint does not operate a network (but not in areas where Sprint does operate a network and coverage is just sub-par). On prepaid, whether through an MVNO or directly from the carrier, roaming is usually much more limited if it exists at all, and on some MVNOs you can pay for voice roaming, but not get data roaming at all. The lack of roaming may not matter as much on a Verizon MVNO, but if you do any road trips it can matter a lot on T-Mobile and Sprint, and to a lesser extent on AT&T.

    Geographic coverage doesn't tell the whole story. Within covered geographic areas, there are always areas where you can't get a signal. The legacy carriers have had an advantage, in most places, for two reasons. First, in most areas, the legacy carriers operate at 800MHz which has much greater range than 1900 MHz, though there are exceptions, such as in Florida, where AT&T ended up with both the A & B sides of 800 MHz due to a series of mergers and acquisitions. Second, the legacy carriers were able to install cell towers before communities placed limitations on placement.

    You will often see claims that things will improve for the second-tier carriers as they deploy new low-band spectrum, and that's true. But for right now, if you want good coverage, you need to choose your carrier carefully. In the previous thread, some people insisted that they don't care about "gaping holes in coverage" but obviously the original poster did care.

    To keep this thread civil, please refrain from accusations of posters being employees of competitors, and please use referenced facts to support your position.
    Last edited by smsgator; 08-29-2018 at 06:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    556
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    They moved it, and I don't know where.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    1,622
    Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Something went wrong with the original thread on this. This series of recent articles is a good place for the original poster to look for an explanation of the original poster's concern:

    AT&T: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    Sprint: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    T-Mobile: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...e-coverage-map
    Verizon: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...n-coverage-map

    Geographic Coverage (native)

    Verizon: 81%
    AT&T: 66%
    T-Mobile: 58%
    Sprint: 29%

    To see all the coverage maps together go to https://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml

    When comparing these numbers you have to realize that they don't include roaming coverage. On postpaid service, on all the carriers, you'll get some roaming, depending on whether or not the carrier is willing to pay for it. In some cases you'll get voice and text roaming, but no data roaming. For example, Sprint has the smallest native network, but Sprint customers can roam onto Verizon in most areas where Sprint does not operate a network (but not in areas where Sprint does operate a network and coverage is just sub-par). On prepaid, whether through an MVNO or directly from the carrier, roaming is usually much more limited if it exists at all, and on some MVNOs you can pay for voice roaming, but not get data roaming at all. The lack of roaming may not matter as much on a Verizon MVNO, but if you do any road trips it can matter a lot on T-Mobile and Sprint, and to a lesser extent on AT&T.

    Geographic coverage doesn't tell the whole story. Within covered geographic areas, there are always areas where you can't get a signal. The legacy carriers have had an advantage, in most places, for two reasons. First, in most areas, the legacy carriers operate at 800MHz which has much greater range than 1900 MHz, though there are exceptions, such as in Florida, where AT&T ended up with both the A & B sides of 800 MHz due to a series of mergers and acquisitions. Second, the legacy carriers were able to install cell towers before communities placed limitations on placement.

    You will often see claims that things will improve for the second-tier carriers as they deploy new low-band spectrum, and that's true. But for right now, if you want good coverage, you need to choose your carrier carefully. In the previous thread, some people insisted that they don't care about "gaping holes in coverage" but obviously the original poster did care.

    Note: For some reason, I now get an "invalid thread" error on the original thread with this title, not just that the thread is closed. Not sure what went wrong.
    Seriously? this is just baiting another argument. The reason the original was moved/deleted is because it got out of hand. I cannot see this thread going any different and I hope it will be shut down also.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,135
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seems simple to me. If I was annoyed by my carrier's coverage, I would change to another that didn't annoy me. Fortunately, Tracfone, Freedompop and Tello allowed me to evaluate all of the Big-4 for cheap.

    Verizon is the only carrier that has signal inside my house and best overall coverage. They get my money for now. I do not worship the cult of Verizon. They are just as evil as the others and cable companies.

    Gaping coverage holes are not acceptable to me. I used Sprint for two years. I know gaping coverage holes.

    T-Mo has no signal in the house or even at a window where AT&T and Sprint work. T-Mo is not very good around town either. That is in my, not major metro, but not rural, corner of the country. T-Mo does work well for a lot of people and they are building like crazy. I look forward to the day when they could be a viable option for me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,993
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE & 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Whistleout has some good data, and the coverage percentages are important, but like you say, there is more to the story. On T-Mobile's map, i've found that "fair" coverage does not translate into anything usable. There are a couple of spots i frequent that are in such an area and because of that i keep a pre-paid Tracfone (AT&T). Having said that, in areas where T-Mobile is good, generally they are very good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,165
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Seriously? this is just baiting another argument. The reason the original was moved/deleted is because it got out of hand. I cannot see this thread going any different and I hope it will be shut down also.
    Yep, the AT&T and Verizon people that pump those networks non-stop just won't stop attacking the T-Mobile board and baiting for another argument to start. As soon as they are banned some create a new account and go right back to destroying any conversation about T-Mobile on this board and baiting arguments.

    Please delete or move this thread.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,882
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Yep, the AT&T and Verizon people that pump those networks non-stop just won't stop attacking the T-Mobile board and baiting for another argument to start. As soon as they are banned some create a new account and go right back to destroying any conversation about T-Mobile on this board and baiting arguments.

    Please delete or move this thread.
    I agree this thread is a joke and nothing more than attacking TMobile and trying to get people to argue. I know it probably sucks to work for Att and Verizon but the employees should have better stuff to do than to bait TMobile users

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,298
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    They moved it, and I don't know where.
    It was banished to the Lounge for bad behavior. Basically, the title's a troll magnet.
    Donald Newcomb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It was banished to the Lounge for bad behavior. Basically, the title's a troll magnet.
    On Usenet their are alt.fans groups where people get together to lavish praise on a product, company, author, etc.. It's an appropriate venue for people to talk about how great something is without interfering with legitimate discussions. Is that what the "Lounge" is supposed to be?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Yep, the AT&T and Verizon people that pump those networks non-stop just won't stop attacking the T-Mobile board and baiting for another argument to start. As soon as they are banned some create a new account and go right back to destroying any conversation about T-Mobile on this board and baiting arguments.

    Please delete or move this thread.
    It's entirely reasonable to discuss the pros and cons of a carrier on these forums, including coverage, pricing, features, data rates, ping times, equipment, etc.

    My advice: don't ever get emotionally attached to a corporation. Well except for Costco.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Seems simple to me. If I was annoyed by my carrier's coverage, I would change to another that didn't annoy me. Fortunately, Tracfone, Freedompop and Tello allowed me to evaluate all of the Big-4 for cheap.

    Verizon is the only carrier that has signal inside my house and best overall coverage. They get my money for now. I do not worship the cult of Verizon. They are just as evil as the others and cable companies.

    Gaping coverage holes are not acceptable to me. I used Sprint for two years. I know gaping coverage holes.

    T-Mo has no signal in the house or even at a window where AT&T and Sprint work. T-Mo is not very good around town either. That is in my, not major metro, but not rural, corner of the country. T-Mo does work well for a lot of people and they are building like crazy. I look forward to the day when they could be a viable option for me.
    I would contend that most people would want to know about coverage prior to signing up with a carrier, and not keep moving from carrier to carrier. There are expenses in changing carriers even when there is no contract involved because the equipment is often not the same unless you have something like an unlocked iPhone from Apple or Verizon, or an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7,8, or 9 from Samsung or Verizon, or a handful of other quad-carrier unlocked phones.

    Furthermore, it's just not possible to check all the places that you are likely to want to have coverage. Checking home and work is easy, but for most people, they go beyond those areas. That's why the tests and surveys from various entities are performed, so you can make an informed choice. Every time someone mentions these tests and surveys they are accused of being employed by a competing carrier, though of course this is not the case. When they don't like people citing surveys and studies they demand that a thread be removed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Seriously? this is just baiting another argument. The reason the original was moved/deleted is because it got out of hand. I cannot see this thread going any different and I hope it will be shut down also.
    To keep this thread civil, please refrain from accusations of posters being employees of competitors, and please use referenced facts to support your position.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I agree this thread is a joke and nothing more than attacking TMobile and trying to get people to argue. I know it probably sucks to work for Att and Verizon but the employees should have better stuff to do than to bait TMobile users
    To keep this thread civil, please refrain from accusations of posters being employees of competitors, and please use referenced facts to support your position.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    6,977
    Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Something went wrong with the original thread on this. This series of recent articles is a good place for the original poster to look for an explanation of the original poster's concern:

    AT&T: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    Sprint: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...t-coverage-map
    T-Mobile: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...e-coverage-map
    Verizon: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...n-coverage-map

    Geographic Coverage (native)

    Verizon: 81%
    AT&T: 66%
    T-Mobile: 58%
    Sprint: 29%

    To see all the coverage maps together go to https://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml

    When comparing these numbers you have to realize that they don't include roaming coverage. On postpaid service, on all the carriers, you'll get some roaming, depending on whether or not the carrier is willing to pay for it. In some cases you'll get voice and text roaming, but no data roaming. For example, Sprint has the smallest native network, but Sprint customers can roam onto Verizon in most areas where Sprint does not operate a network (but not in areas where Sprint does operate a network and coverage is just sub-par). On prepaid, whether through an MVNO or directly from the carrier, roaming is usually much more limited if it exists at all, and on some MVNOs you can pay for voice roaming, but not get data roaming at all. The lack of roaming may not matter as much on a Verizon MVNO, but if you do any road trips it can matter a lot on T-Mobile and Sprint, and to a lesser extent on AT&T.

    Geographic coverage doesn't tell the whole story. Within covered geographic areas, there are always areas where you can't get a signal. The legacy carriers have had an advantage, in most places, for two reasons. First, in most areas, the legacy carriers operate at 800MHz which has much greater range than 1900 MHz, though there are exceptions, such as in Florida, where AT&T ended up with both the A & B sides of 800 MHz due to a series of mergers and acquisitions. Second, the legacy carriers were able to install cell towers before communities placed limitations on placement.

    You will often see claims that things will improve for the second-tier carriers as they deploy new low-band spectrum, and that's true. But for right now, if you want good coverage, you need to choose your carrier carefully. In the previous thread, some people insisted that they don't care about "gaping holes in coverage" but obviously the original poster did care.

    To keep this thread civil, please refrain from accusations of posters being employees of competitors, and please use referenced facts to support your position.
    You're making a good point here, that if Tm coverage map indeed does incorporate roaming coverage in their maps, I wonder which carriers are providing this roaming coverage. It ain't Tm, duh, so must be att or vzw. So in essence they're claiming other carriers coverage as their own then, right? Except, Tm and metros coverage maps are apparently identical, at least m in the south East.

    Imo,but when reports issues with any carrier, some members appear to take personal offense,as if the issue is ' their fault,which of course it isn't.
    This is like getting annoyed with the weather man for giving a bad weather forecast.

    As is said before, Tm has improved tremendously, but to denigh their issues is like hiding your head in the sand. The issue will still be there until Tm has the time and money to catch up.

    Maybe I need to state this a little more clearly. I'm not here because I dislike Tm. I'm here to learn from other members about their experiences with the network, as i sometime question keeping an obviously less than average coverage. I could give a flying horse as to thier personal opinions, as I'm interested in facts. If my questions offend you personally, it is not my intention to do so. You can just ignore them or block me.

    My Tm service is great at my home,and I use Tm the majority of the time, but to my great frustration, if I move a mile in most directions from a good signal area, the signal often drops to nothing. This annoys the heck out of me, almost as much as others trying to blame me for pointing out these obvious deficiencies, and them using the fanboy term. Thankfully,there are a few honest observers here who often are helpful and provide useful info which is very useful and appreciated by a lot of others.

    I'm not anti Tm. I just wished they'd get off their butts and address these issues, maybe the network as good as they' their ads claim, but realistically I realize it's a complicated and very expensive issue.
    Last edited by plane; 08-29-2018 at 07:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,986
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I would contend that most people would want to know about coverage prior to signing up with a carrier, and not keep moving from carrier to carrier. There are expenses in changing carriers even when there is no contract involved because the equipment is often not the same unless you have something like an unlocked iPhone from Apple or Verizon, or an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7,8, or 9 from Samsung or Verizon, or a handful of other quad-carrier unlocked phones.

    Furthermore, it's just not possible to check all the places that you are likely to want to have coverage. Checking home and work is easy, but for most people, they go beyond those areas. That's why the tests and surveys from various entities are performed, so you can make an informed choice. Every time someone mentions these tests and surveys they are accused of being employed by a competing carrier, though of course this is not the case. When they don't like people citing surveys and studies they demand that a thread be removed.
    With that information would it be fair to create similar threads in the VZ/AT&T/Sprint sub forums? As a Cricket/ VZ MVNO evangelist Mr. Councilman, wouldn't that be more appropriate anyways?

    Surely losing coverage in certain locations is not a T-Mobile specific phenomena. I'd argue that because this thread is not about losing T-Mobile coverage at a specific location but rather the insinuation figuratively and literally that:

    a) T-Mobile is an also ran / second rate / "second tier,"/ sub par carrier
    b) T-Mobile users on this board who disagree with the bad coverage label are somehow brainwashed and fall for the lies and propaganda
    c) T-Mobile users must without a doubt purchase a spare phone from Red Pocket or Page Plus should they dare leave any urban area

    Since we're applying huge over generalizations and painting the entire country with a specific narrative that doesn't apply to T-Mobile specifically I'd argue that these type threads belong in The Lounge. I'd say it's just my opinion but apparently from the response here it's a shared opinion.

    What would be appropriate would be a discussion about losing T-Mobile service or experiencing poor service at a large public venue, a major highway, a busy intersection, heavily traveled routes for railway and/or busfare. Maybe even a popular campground or hiking trail?

    Continually harping about your perception of what we can't fix and our continued assertions that geographic expansions are happening makes us all look silly and is a complete waste of our existence.

    Unless you're trying to sell us something that I'm not aware of.....let's give it a rest Steven.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 10:39 PM
  2. For Those Annoyed with the A540's Current Firmware
    By Bonka in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2002, 08:16 PM
  3. what's up with the analog coverage in the metrorail?
    By j'vai in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 01:25 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 09:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks