Thread: AT&T Post Paid to Prepaid

Feedback Score

AT&T Post Paid to Prepaid

Spouse and I have been AT&T postpaid customers over 15 years. Want to switch to prepaid multiline account because of significant cost savings. Plan to go to local corporate store to complete transaction. Need advice on best timeframe to pursue transaction.

I have an iPhone 6 and plan to purchase iPhone X equivalent newer 2018 model when they become available in September. Spouse will take my iPhone 6. My postpaid account billing period ends Sept 2.

Is it wise to make the switch this week with our current phones or wait until after I get the new iPhone and spouse takes over my old phone? When purchasing the new phone (outright purchase), do individuals with postpaid plans have priority in regards to availability over those on prepaid plans?

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
    Last edited by jagator; 08-27-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Last year was the first time in years where you could buy any iPhones outright (SIM FREE) at an Apple store on launch day, and that was the 8/8+.

Some people apparently luck out if they get in line at Apple store, but in general you need to be postpaid to get it at launch.

This year, the 5.8" iPhone might be the easily available one, based on rumors. The 6.1 is reported to be behind schedule, and many who like the big one might make that tough to get early.

It may be better to just go prepaid now, and wait until the new phone because available. If you can just buy it SIM-Free, you don't have to worry about getting it unlocked for future use, in case you ever go Verizon/T-Mobile.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kevink1. Made the switch this morning at local corporate store. Will purchase the new iPhone 5.8" sim-free when it becomes available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I tried to avoid buying the new phone (I also have the 7+, but never really became comfortable with the size carrying it around). Then finally decided to get the new phone and moved to ATT postpaid. Then just 2 weeks later the SIM free model became available. Just waited, and I could have just purchased it outright instead of making payments for a couple months then paying it off.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Since AT&T Mobility does not prorate the final bill, you should switch just before the new billing cycle begins to get your money's out of the final bill.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Since AT&T Mobility does not prorate the final bill, you should switch just before the new billing cycle begins to get your money's out of the final bill.
    Yes, I was aware of their terms and that is exactly what I did.

Feedback Score
    Actuslly, I was pleasantly surprised last year when I noticed they did prorate my final bill when I migrated from post to pre. I’m assuming since it was a migration and not a cancellation is the reason.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Verizon did that once for me moving from prepaid to postpaid. I wasn't expecting it, but saved about $10 or so.

Feedback Score
    I'm happy to report, AT&T Mobility may have changed their terms as my final statement noted a credit balance. Talked to Customer Service and they said I should receive a check within 90 days.

Feedback Score
    Received my refund a few days ago. Good service.