Thread: Moto E5 Plus 8.1 update?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Moto E5 Plus 8.1 update?

thinking of LG stylo 4 or moto e5 plus...

was leaning more for the E5 plus cause of the extra 1GB of RAM and bigger battery.

ive been reading and i know that motorola is slow with updates but did this phone just hit the market, why the hell does it still have 8.0 which was release 1 year ago...do they have plans to keep this up to date with at least 8.1 ?

Feedback Score
    Don't buy low end phones and expect updates.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Don't buy low end phones and expect updates.

dont reply with dumb answers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    dont reply with dumb answers
    Take your own advise.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    any real answers?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    any real answers?
    You are asking people here about Motorola's plans for a specific model- you know as much as anyone else here. I suspect that the updates of LG stylo may not be much better than the E5 plus. Also, updates are very overrated; they are often pushed to appease customers rather than any serious thought or effort put into software updates. At least that has been my experience with Samsung.

I would go with the phone that appeals to you now. I find the E5 plus a good phone- looks good (saw in the store), has great features for the price and lot of bands too (if you travel overseas, for roaming). Big battery, good s/w (close to stock android). Also, has a plastic body (and back) that looks like glass. I don't like glass because it may break more easily if dropped.

For any use other than gaming, the processor is adequate with E5 plus but for gaming, it may be inadequate. If you need the stylus, maybe the LG is for you but you can always buy a stylus and that should work on any touch screen phone, incl E5 plus.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    You are asking people here about Motorola's plans for a specific model- you know as much as anyone else here. I suspect that the updates of LG stylo may not be much better than the E5 plus. Also, updates are very overrated; they are often pushed to appease customers rather than any serious thought or effort put into software updates. At least that has been my experience with Samsung.

I would go with the phone that appeals to you now. I find the E5 plus a good phone- looks good (saw in the store), has great features for the price and lot of bands too (if you travel overseas, for roaming). Big battery, good s/w (close to stock android). Also, has a plastic body (and back) that looks like glass. I don't like glass because it may break more easily if dropped.

For any use other than gaming, the processor is adequate with E5 plus but for gaming, it may be inadequate. If you need the stylus, maybe the LG is for you but you can always buy a stylus and that should work on any touch screen phone, incl E5 plus.
    yea some are over rated...i mean if the software update fixs the bugs then yea i would like that support..i wont be updating pass 8.1 cause 9.0 no longer supports call recording, which is needed for me

no gaming just normal phone use...thanks for the info i guess ill just go with the E5 Plus

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    yea some are over rated...i mean if the software update fixs the bugs then yea i would like that support..i wont be updating pass 8.1 cause 9.0 no longer supports call recording, which is needed for me

no gaming just normal phone use...thanks for the info i guess ill just go with the E5 Plus
    The best predictor of future behavior is past and current behavior. In the past, Moto has not upgraded E Series phones. The E4/E4 Plus was released on android 7.1 and moto already confirmed that it will not receive android 8. The G Series generally are updated. Moto does quarterly security patches and you should expect those. Do not expect that the E5/E5 Plus will ever see android upgrades to 8.1 or 9. My recollection of the E5 was that moto was using an older linux kernel that was 32bit. It has been EOL'd but they have backported a lot to it for security. Like the G6 it runs very smooth though.

Another device to consider would be the Moto G6. It runs VoLTE and Wifi calling on T-Mobile and is 249 at BestBuy. It has bands 2,4,12 and 66 for T-mobile (sadly it does not have band 71).
    Last edited by cyberstoic; 08-27-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score

If you are concerned with security, do no install apps outside of google play store (avoid side loading). Play automatically scans all apps during install and update. For extra security, you can try AVG antivirus, Avast antivirus or McAfee or Norton. I believe that free versions of these are available in the play store.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    The best predictor of future behavior is past and current behavior. In the past, Moto has not upgraded E Series phones. The E4/E4 Plus was released on android 7.1 and moto already confirmed that it will not receive android 8. The G Series generally are updated. Moto does quarterly security patches and you should expect those. Do not expect that the E5/E5 Plus will ever see android upgrades to 8.1 or 9.

Another device to consider would be the Moto G6. It runs VoLTE and Wifi calling on T-Mobile and is 249 at BestBuy. It has bands 2,4,12 and 66 for T-mobile (sadly it does not have band 71).
    really not even 8.1?...hmmm idk i should be ok with 8.0, my LG is running 7.0 so itll be a good upgrade in OS i hope..i like 6.0.1 better than 7.0

also ill be getting the phone for free, i would never pay money for this phone since the lack in support

Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    If you are concerned with security, do no install apps outside of google play store (avoid side loading). Play automatically scans all apps during install and update. For extra security, you can try AVG antivirus, Avast antivirus or McAfee or Norton. I believe that free versions of these are available in the play store.

no one said any about security, i said only thing i worry about is bugs in the OS where a update is needed to fix it
    this isnt my first android..been in the cell phone "game" for many years now but thanks for trying to help

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    The best predictor of future behavior is past and current behavior. In the past, Moto has not upgraded E Series phones. The E4/E4 Plus was released on android 7.1 and moto already confirmed that it will not receive android 8. The G Series generally are updated. Moto does quarterly security patches and you should expect those. Do not expect that the E5/E5 Plus will ever see android upgrades to 8.1 or 9. My recollection of the E5 was that moto was using an older linux kernel that was 32bit. It has been EOL'd but they have backported a lot to it for security. Like the G6 it runs very smooth though.

see here - https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade to see what phones will get android 9