Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Piranha Mobile Thread 2018

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles 2018 Piranha Mobile Thread 2018

Well, since Piranha Mobile seems to back: Here is this years thread.

After receiving the SIM today. You log in and:

Linking & Activating Your SIM Card
    1.To register your SIM card you will need the ICCID and the PUK, found on the back of your SIM card.
    2.Enter the information into the required form fields.
    3.Select the Country for your SIM number and click LINK ACCOUNT.
    4.Remember only one number per SIM allowed.
    5.If successful you will receive an activation message on screen with your new number.
    6.Next go to Your SIM Accounts and add air time credit to your SIM to finalize activation.
    Choose a country for your phone number.

I was given a 213 area code----the area code I was born in.
    Note sure if they chose it intentionally or what.

Took no more than two minutes.

Feedback Score
    213 Area code for me also.

Finally got a chance to play around with Piranha data and ran into some problems. It seems that even though the SIM has a U.S. number and you are physically located in the U.S., some U.S. based sites such a Pandora will not not allow access since "roamingplus" is a foreign access point.

Also Piranha is limited to 3G and, least in my area, speeds are pretty slow. Using the Speedtest App my download speed was 1.45 mps and upload was 0.37 mps.

BTW I have found the current Piranha technical support response time to be greatly improved over the old system.

Feedback Score
    For anyone interested, the "2017 Piranha Mobile Thread 2017" thread is at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...le-Thread-2017.

Bob317, do you remember if the old Piranha SIM was limited to 3G/H/H+, and whether or not it also had the foreign SIM issue? It seems like it was the same, but I don't remember for sure.

I know the FreedomPop Global SIM has the same speed limitation and foreign SIM issue.

Feedback Score
    Not 100% sure but I seem to remember using T-Mobile 4G with the old SIM, at least until Piranha went exclusively with AT&T. T-Mobile was faster and had better coverage than AT&T in my area.

Never ran into a problem with a foreign APN with the old SIM but then I never used data all that much with the old card. I do remember that with the old card the carrier came up as AT&T or T-Mobile on my notification bar but with the new card it comes up as "AT&T-ROAMING".

BTW received this reply from Piranha:
    Name:  piranha7.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  8.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Bob317. Please keep us posted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    For anyone interested, the "2017 Piranha Mobile Thread 2017" thread is at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...le-Thread-2017.
    RFK posted in the Piranha 2017 thread:

"Bad thing: I can not send text message (SMS) from Piranha SIM (US or UK number, does not matter) to US numbers (T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless). 10 c deducted from balance but no message received. Inbound text messaging works."

I'm having the same issue - message appears to be sent, it's charged for, but is never delivered. I was able to resolve this issue with a previous sim by manually setting the smsc #. That solution isn't working this time around. Has anyone got outbound sms working on AT&T?

Feedback Score
    I have a Canadian number and I can confirm that texting is working for me.

On a different note, I have yet to see a 50 cent/month billing yet for my Canadian number.

Feedback Score
    My luck ran out. They are now billing me for the Canadian number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
    My luck ran out. They are now billing me for the Canadian number.
    I don't know how you use that Canadian #, but you can get a free Canadian # from TextNow, which uses their app for VoIP calling and texting, and then just use it via WiFi or cellular data.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...for+voip+calls indicates that TextNow VoIP uses about 0.30MB/min.

I still mostly use GV+Hangouts over data for almost all my calls and messaging, but sometimes it's also helpful to have a Canadian phone #.

Feedback Score
    The purpose of the Canadian or US number is to lower the costs for the person who is calling you. As explained in the 2017 Piranha thread, the UK number assigned to you by Piranha is actually a Jersey number which incurs very high fees to someone who calls it from North America. I did a test call from my home phone and was billed 46 cent/min. Normally, a call to the UK would cost only 2 cents/min.

Having no-charge incoming calls in the US is great for you, but you don't want to punish your caller with a large bill.

Feedback Score
    What does "SIM Status" with a red "X" mean on the Your SIM Accounts page? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What does "SIM Status" with a red "X" mean on the Your SIM Accounts page? Thanks.
    Not sure, but probably not good. Checked my account this morning and it shows "data on" in green and a green check mark in the SIM status column. Still have something like a $30 balance with them.

Regards,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob317 View Post
    Not sure, but probably not good. Checked my account this morning and it shows "data on" in green and a green check mark in the SIM status column. Still have something like a $30 balance with them.

Regards,
    Thanks for the reply. I still have over a $15 balance, so I guess I need to pop my Piranha SIM into a phone soon to see what's up. Thanks again.

Carrier(s)
    Currently: at&t
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I currently only have a "UK" number as I was planning on only using the SIM for outbound calls, but was thinking of requesting a US number so people can call me.

I tried making a call for the first time this week to an online meeting system, WebEx, but the call was all garbled both times I tried calling and it seemed because it was garbled the system wouldn't take any button/tone presses. So I was unable to join a meeting using this line.

Just to verify whether it was a one time issue, I tried calling my CC company yesterday and again the system wouldn't take any button/tone presses and transferred me to an agent. The agent stated I sounded all garbled and asked me to call from another line.

I was wondering if this is because I have a "UK" number and whether it would make a difference if I had a US number, or whether this is an issue with Piranha Mobile? I'm thinking if this is a Piranha Mobile issue there's no point in getting a US number and it would be better to look for another provider. Thanks in advance to the community.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by altNz View Post
    I currently only have a "UK" number as I was planning on only using the SIM for outbound calls, but was thinking of requesting a US number so people can call me.

I tried making a call for the first time this week to an online meeting system, WebEx, but the call was all garbled both times I tried calling and it seemed because it was garbled the system wouldn't take any button/tone presses. So I was unable to join a meeting using this line.

Just to verify whether it was a one time issue, I tried calling my CC company yesterday and again the system wouldn't take any button/tone presses and transferred me to an agent. The agent stated I sounded all garbled and asked me to call from another line.

I was wondering if this is because I have a "UK" number and whether it would make a difference if I had a US number, or whether this is an issue with Piranha Mobile? I'm thinking if this is a Piranha Mobile issue there's no point in getting a US number and it would be better to look for another provider. Thanks in advance to the community.
    When Piranha was out of service for several months I got a Koko mobile sim card instead. Can do USSD call back in countries where direct dial won't work with providers like Piranha. Replacement Piranha sim chips are in a landline cellular box and a spare cell phone for my father... don't depend on Piranha like I used to. Switch to Koko or one of the other Piranha competitors?

Sent from my BV8000Pro using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast