Thread: Question about unlock iPhone 5s on Tmobile

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question about unlock iPhone 5s on Tmobile

I have an unlocked iphone 5s I want to use just for facetime. Can I get by with just the $3 per month plan or do I need to have data. I know ipads don't need data plans but I've heard iphones do. Just need to be clear before I decide what to do with it. Thanks!

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLaserman View Post
    I have an unlocked iphone 5s I want to use just for facetime. Can I get by with just the $3 per month plan or do I need to have data. I know ipads don't need data plans but I've heard iphones do. Just need to be clear before I decide what to do with it. Thanks!
    The $3/month plan does not include cellular data so you will need to add a data pass or use wifi for FaceTime. I don’t understand your comment about iPads.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've read ipads don't need a data plan to use facetime over wifi but iphones must have a cell plan to use facetime. Thats all I can tell you because thats all I know from all I've read. Thats another reason I posted here because I didn't know how it all worked. I just wanted to know if the $3 plan on Tmobile would allow facetime to work without actually having data on the plan. I'm not a techie so thats all I can say.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    one article I read said ipads do not need a cell plan but iphones must be "activated" on a cell plan but it did not say that cell plan had to include data so thats what I'm trying to find out... is the $3 per month tmobile cell plan going to allow me to use facetime over my wifi since it would be an activated phone... just without data.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4s W10M, Alcatel Pop 4+
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop LTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLaserman View Post
    one article I read said ipads do not need a cell plan but iphones must be "activated" on a cell plan but it did not say that cell plan had to include data so thats what I'm trying to find out... is the $3 per month tmobile cell plan going to allow me to use facetime over my wifi since it would be an activated phone... just without data.
    If you confirm that facetime will work on an activated iPhone without data, you could also look for a gold rewards SIM on the used market - just $10 per year to maintain...
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Shouldn't all apps work over WiFi without wireless data? If that is the case, why would you need an activated sim with cellular service?

Or does FaceTime need to be attached to a phone number? Then just get a Lycamobile sim. Add $10 and it never expires as long as you make a call or text every 90 days.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by munkala; 08-25-2018 at 03:19 PM.