Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does Sprint have the worst band management?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Is it just me or does Sprint have the worst band management?

Hey all;

Iíve noticed that Sprint has been popping up 800 sites all over the place, including now my closest serving sites.

That said, they still arenít much use ó my phones cling to a useless Band 25 or even 41 signal before it kicks over to Band 26 ó then it jumps right back. LTE on Band 26, while technically there, is useless. I find my phones like to cling to Band 41 well past when itís unusable ó it will show 1 bar and pages do not load (waiting for reply).

Whatís even weirder is that at my office most times it will be unusable, while for an hour or so it will camp on Band 26 and be fine. Before the Band 26 antennas went up, I actually had more useable Band 25 service there... itís now weaker than before.

Iíve noticed that T-Mobile phones are much better about finding and hanging on to Band 12 when they lose Band 2 and 4 ó and keeping it until 2 and 4 are available again. It just seems like Sprint has it set just a bit too aggressively at kicking to 25 and 41 ó even when those bands provide no service.

Iím sure itís not my phone ó it does this on both my iPhone X and Galaxy S8 Active.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!
    Nat

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post

That said, they still arenít much use ó my phones cling to a useless Band 25 or even 41 signal before it kicks over to Band 26 ó then it jumps right back. LTE on Band 26, while technically there, is useless. I find my phones like to cling to Band 41 well past when itís unusable ó it will show 1 bar and pages do not load (waiting for reply).
    I find the direct opposite happens. I have a Magic Box in my house, which claimes to cover up-to 30000 square feet. I get 3/4 bars on my iPhone when connected to it one floor down, with data speeds ranging from 10-15 Mbps. But as soon as my phone detects band 26, band 41 is dropped in favor of dial-up data.

It just seems like Sprint has it set just a bit too aggressively at kicking to 25 and 41 ó even when those bands provide no service.

Anyone else notice this?
    Sprint does this as Band 26 is only 5x5, 3x3, or possibly 1.25x1.25 I think in certain areas. They set a higher priority to Band 41 and 25 as they are much larger pipes capable of carrying a lot more data, easing congestion on 850 for those who really need it.

At least, thatís how itís supposed to work.

Feedback Score
    According to posts elsewhere (which I cannot find again now), they are redesigning the network band architecture right now in preparation for VoLTE soft launch next month.
    Supposedly voice is being consolidated on band 26, both VoLTE and CDMA voice.
    Some LTE data traffic will be moved band from band 26 onto AT&T temporarily. They are using the old WiMax designation for AT&T roaming (!) temporarily so that this will have priority in phones.

This is obviously somewhat garbled but the net of it is that this will not be at its end state until VoLTE is launched.

Here, all voice seems to have moved onto 800 MHz and is vastly improved - no more dropouts.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-23-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This happens to me all the time! We have one band 25 site serving my neighborhood, so itís always super congested. The only way to get band 26 is if you walk into my kitchen, and itís actually much faster since itís less congested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    This happens to me all the time! We have one band 25 site serving my neighborhood, so it’s always super congested. The only way to get band 26 is if you walk into my kitchen, and it’s actually much faster since it’s less congested.
    Does your phone have band 41?

Also on Samsungs you can disable band 25 (or any other bands) on the engineering menus..
    Last edited by comintel; 08-23-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have just the opposite issue. I end up parked on B25, and it won't go back to B41. They're not nearly aggressive enough with their band management in my experience.

EDIT: Clarity

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Overall Iíd say a low signal Band 25 is a bit more useful than Band 41... for example Iím sitting in my office right now, and my Galaxy S8 Acive is sitting -126 on Band 41... which means the data is useless ó it sends a request to a server and never gets a reply ó I feel the downlink may receive but the uplink is useless. If it flips to Band 26 it jumps to -105 which is completely useful...

The issue is that just because it can see a signal doesnít mean it is useful or even functional at all. Is there a way that the phones only register once they send a data packet and get a reply?

N

Feedback Score
    Overall Iíd say a low signal Band 25 is a bit more useful than Band 41... for example Iím sitting in my office right now, and my Galaxy S8 Acive is sitting -126 on Band 41... which means the data is useless ó it sends a request to a server and never gets a reply ó I feel the downlink may receive but the uplink is useless. If it flips to Band 26 it jumps to -105 which is completely useful.
    With a Samsung deceleration, you should be able to easily disable any LTE bands you donít want to use at a given time.

Open the dialer, and enter ##DATA##, click ďEditĒ, enter MSL ď000000Ē, then click ďLTEĒ.

Disable any band thatís causing issues for your particular setting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE_A View Post
    With a Samsung deceleration, you should be able to easily disable any LTE bands you don’t want to use at a given time.

Open the dialer, and enter ##DATA##, click “Edit”, enter MSL “000000”, then click “LTE”.

Disable any band that’s causing issues for your particular setting.
    And then exit the dialer normally and reboot for it to take effect as it does not take effect immediately.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    According to posts elsewhere (which I cannot find again now), they are redesigning the network band architecture right now in preparation for VoLTE soft launch next month.
    Supposedly voice is being consolidated on band 26, both VoLTE and CDMA voice.
    Some LTE data traffic will be moved band from band 26 onto AT&T temporarily. They are using the old WiMax designation for AT&T roaming (!) temporarily so that this will have priority in phones.

This is obviously somewhat garbled but the net of it is that this will not be at its end state until VoLTE is launched.

Here, all voice seems to have moved onto 800 MHz and is vastly improved - no more dropouts.
    That is an amazing strategy. The old Nextel Band for LTE Voice only. People who rely on 800 in weak areas get to use AT&T for data. Would be great to have a source for this.

Last edited by techfranz; 08-25-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does your phone have band 41?

Also on Samsungs you can disable band 25 (or any other bands) on the engineering menus..
    It does but it doesnít reach my house. I have to walk a bit up the street before I can get really great speeds with it and CA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    It does but it doesn’t reach my house. I have to walk a bit up the street before I can get really great speeds with it and CA.

I am not sure a Magic Box repeater would work for you then with that weak a signal unless you are lucky, but you could discuss it with tech. suport and see what they think if you have not done so.

If you already have wifi it may not be worth the trouble.

Also these boxes do not do anything for Voice and are out of stock in any case for another short while I think, while supposedly awaiting the arrival of stock of a new model.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-25-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Device(s)
    A640
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately the always redesigning something (good excuse) and next month already here...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ymmy View Post
    Unfortunately the always redesigning something (good excuse) and next month already here...
    September is indeed here, and, from what I see in other forums, VoLTE is on schedule and ready to begin soft roll out, starting with a number of Android models, well within this month, in some areas, as was discussed.

Anything can slip but right now it seems that is not expected.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-17-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I am not sure a Magic Box repeater would work for you then with that weak a signal unless you are lucky, but you could discuss it with tech. suport and see what they think if you have not done so.

If you already have wifi it may not be worth the trouble.

Also these boxes do not do anything for Voice and are out of stock in any case for another short while I think, while supposedly awaiting the arrival of stock of a new model.
    The new model 3 is supposed to have WiFi fallback if it canít repeat the existing cellular connection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast