Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying an AT&T Prepaid simcard and refil at AT&T store. Some questions...

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruudzaan View Post
    I did read aobut callingmart, and they have some fun deals. What keeps me from doing it, is that I did read some stories that people did not get their pincodes for example. Or pincodes that were already used.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    My beautiful response disappeared!

CallingMart is wonderful. Are you sure the stories are about CallingMart?
    There was an issue with Callingmart last year however it was specific to Pageplus PIN's & Callingmart quickly corrected the issue for those affected. If I remember correctly Callingmart said it was an issue with one of the vendors they use to obtain PIN's. I believe it was a one time thing & I don't recall ever hearing of any other issues with Callingmart.

I have also been using them for years with no issues. I purchase PIN's from them every month for myself, my Mother & my Mother In Law.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...at-CallingMart

Feedback Score
    Now the point of this post:
    Please verify or others here affirm or reject this:
    Even if you have a "year expiry" it will cease when your balance gets to zero.
    50+50=100 100-100=000000
    I am curious about that as well

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    According to AT&T Prepaid Terms of Service your account will not be canceled until 60 days after your refill's expiration date.

In other words, if you add a $100 refill your balance will be be zero and your account inactive after 60 days on the $50 plan but your phone number is retained and your account can be reactivated by adding sufficient funds to pay for service anytime within 425 (365+60) days of the initial $100 top-up.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 08-24-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Corrected my erroneous answer after reading AT&T's ToS.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    I did read aobut callingmart, and they have some fun deals. Buy a refil of $100 and just pay $95 for it. Even a few dollars less with a coupon.
    What keeps me from doing it, is that I did read some stories that people did not get their pincodes for example. Or pincodes that were already used.
    Other responses have covered those issues, but I'd guess at least half the people at this forum use CallingMart and haven't had a problem. If you're buying from outside the US and using a non-US bank credit card that might be an issue; I run into problems periodically with getting credit card approvals from non-US credit cards. OTOH I believe they accept PayPal which would address the credit card issue.

The short of it is that with your situation it's a one-time savings and your peace of mind may be worth giving up that $5-10 + taxes discount.

I was told that both my Samsung Galaxy S8 and my wife's iPhone 6 have the right LTE bands, eventhough they are models for the European market. Perhaps you could shine a light on that as well.
    Because there are so many variants of each phones, the best thing to do is to Google the model number. For example, don't search for "Note 8", search for "SM-N950UZSAATT " which is a model numbers of an AT&T Note 8.

On a separate note, heads up to Yeswap/Dennis (who replied above) for his site PrepaidPhoneNews which is a great site for, uh, prepaid phone news. I'm not affiliated but I've read it for several years.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Lately when I travel to the US, I drop into the first AT&T store I can fine and sign up for their 8GB prepaid plan for $40. with auto renew. $50. without auto renew. You can log into your account after you leave the store and opt out of auto renew. I got my SIM card free in the store. I just told them I was visiting and used my hotels address. I had no trouble or hassle.
    FIDO Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    Lately when I travel to the US, I drop into the first AT&T store I can fine and sign up for their 8GB prepaid plan for $40. with auto renew. $50. without auto renew.
    Good idea, get the autopay discount right off the bat and just pay the taxes/fees with the initial fill. Opt out of autopay then do the plan change about 28-29 days in. Also saves the cost of the SIM. I'd still recommend finding a corporate store over an authorized retailer if it's feasible.

Feedback Score
    1) purchase the SIM/plan at an ATT corporate store. Purchase elsewhere and you will be looking at a minimum of 9.99USD per SIM

2)make sure the service is setup before you leave the corporate store. If your lucky they should give you a SIM for free when you top up.

3)Register your number on https://www.paygonline.com/websc/loginPage.html

4)before leaving the US check that the login works above so that you can manage your account when your not in the US. This will make it possible to change you plan, it seems a bit pointless paying 50USD for a plan that you won’t use when you can retain the number on 25 cent plan.

5)You can usually top up with a foreign credit Card online. By using a foreign credit card I’ve noticed that you don’t get charged sales tax.

6) Pretty much all IPhones from the 6 will work across the US on ATT LTE wise (provided there unlocked). The IPhone SE does have different LTE variants though.

7)Unlike TMobile US, ATT prepaid doesn’t work in Europe. There will be no way to access your account apart from logging in online or calling ATT customer services. ATT doesn’t offer WI-FI calling too on the prepay service. ATM TMobile do offer Wi-Fi calling so you can use the inclusive minutes to call the US in your plan without surcharge whilst logged into Wi-Fi worldwide.

Feedback Score
    All the answers helped me a lot and I already would like to thank all contributors.

So, with all this knowledge, I will go to a offical AT&T store (I found them with the store locator on the site of AT&T).
    Before I go, I will make an online appoitment.
    There I will buy a card and put $100 on my account.
    This way my account will not expire for a year plus 60 days.
    Before I leave I will make sure that the card works both in my Samsung Galaxy S8 and in my wife's IPhone 6.
    Also I will check on my account that everything is set up right, and that the expiration date is a year from then.

Then for the first 8 days or so, I will go to the $2 a day plan. First few days we will just relax, go to the parks and later to the beach.
    There is big chance we will not call anybody or will be called.
    So we will not pay anything. Besides that, we can buy the 100Mb/$1 plan.
    If we activate it on mondaymorning, it will expire tuesday evening late/midnight (if I understand the rules of AT&T well enough.

After 9 days I will go online and change to the 8GB/$50 plan.
    Just before leaving the US, I will make sure that this plan is switched off as well.
    Perhaps I can do this already 1 day before, but I want to make sure that we still have internet untill we are boarded.
    I don't want the 8GB/$50 plan automaticcaly to re-new.

Is everything I wrote here possible, or did I miss something?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    All the answers helped me a lot and I already would like to thank all contributors.

So, with all this knowledge, I will go to a offical AT&T store (I found them with the store locator on the site of AT&T).
    Before I go, I will make an online appoitment.
    There I will buy a card and put $100 on my account.
    Before I leave I will make sure that the card works both in my Samsung Galaxy S8 and in my wife's IPhone 6.
    Also I will check on my account that everything is set up right, and that the expiration date is a year from then.

Then for the first 8 days or so, I will go to the $2 a day plan. First few days we will just relax, go to the parks and later to the beach.
    There is big chance we will not call anybody or will be called.
    So we will not pay anything. Besides that, we can buy the 100Mb/$1 plan.
    If we activate it on mondaymorning, it will expire tuesday evening late/midnight (if I understand the rules of AT&T well enough.

After 9 days I will go online and change to the 8GB/$50 plan.
    Just before leaving the US, I will make sure that this plan is switched off as well.
    Perhaps I can do this already 1 day before, but I want to make sure that we still have internet untill we are boarded.
    I don't want the 8GB/$50 plan automaticcaly to re-new.

Yes, what you wrote should work.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Depends on if I understand you or not.
    The expiration will be 365 days from the $100 deposit. No "plus 60 days."

Feedback Score
    Yeswap told me a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    According to AT&T Prepaid Terms of Service your account will not be canceled until 60 days after your refill's expiration date.

In other words, if you add a $100 refill your balance will be be zero and your account inactive after 60 days on the $50 plan but your phone number is retained and your account can be reactivated by adding sufficient funds to pay for service anytime within 425 (365+60) days of the initial $100 top-up.
    And when I look in the terms of AT&T I also understand that there are an extra 60 days after the expiration day.
    AT&T PREPAID accounts for phone plans, except Emergency Phone, will be canceled 60 days after expiration.
    But perhaps I do understand it in a wrong way.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like both are accurate. During the 365 days, assuming money remains, you can use the phone. If you don't add another payment before day 365, your account remains, and you can keep your number. Just lose your money, I assume.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Yeswap told me a different story.
    And when I look in the terms of AT&T I also understand that there are an extra 60 days after the expiration day.
    AT&T PREPAID accounts for phone plans, except Emergency Phone, will be canceled 60 days after expiration.
    But perhaps I do understand it in a wrong way.
    You are OK then.
    I was thinking you wanted to keep the phone active.
    If you are comfortable with the drop dead date for the phone then fine.
    You would lose whatever balance remained, however.
    But if the balance is zero, you will not lose much.

Feedback Score
    Almost one year later.
    We did make the trip (wonderful by the way)
    Got ourselves a simcard, put $ 100 on it.
    Got a $ 50 plan and some $ 1 days for the remaining time.
    Everything worked fine.
    We ended the plan and took the card out.

Unfortunattely we could no re-visit the US last spring.
    but it will be this fall.
    Almost exactly a year after we bought the sim card.
    There is still something like $ 40 on the card.
    What would be the best thing to do?
    We will stay in the US probably september and october.
    Should I put another $ 100 on it and get another year?
    Or just take a refill of $ 25 and then add 3 more months (If I am correct)

Thanks again for all the answers in the past and in the future.
    It helped us a lot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2