Thread: Moto G 1st gen upgrade?

Feedback Score

Moto G 1st gen upgrade?

I've been using a Moto G XT1028 1st gen 8 GB for 4 years and while it's been a great phone it has become pretty slow. I don't use many apps but I do use the web a lot and it would be nice to have a decent camera and a bit more storage. I want to continue with pay-as-you-go plans and I'm thrilled to see that 4g is now an option. I need to be on the Verizon network because of where I live. It would be nice if the phone could work in Ontario too (I don't even know if that's possible). Cheap is nice, $50-120 is very reasonable, but I might be willing to spend as much as $200, if it's really worth it.
    I'd appreciate your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I picked up a slightly/gently used Moto Z Play for around $140 off of eBay. Ordered from PPC a $1 LTE SIM card, and activation was simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMI View Post
    I've been using a Moto G XT1028 1st gen 8 GB for 4 years and while it's been a great phone it has become pretty slow. I don't use many apps but I do use the web a lot and it would be nice to have a decent camera and a bit more storage. I want to continue with pay-as-you-go plans and I'm thrilled to see that 4g is now an option. I need to be on the Verizon network because of where I live. It would be nice if the phone could work in Ontario too (I don't even know if that's possible). Cheap is nice, $50-120 is very reasonable, but I might be willing to spend as much as $200, if it's really worth it.
    I'd appreciate your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Moto E (4th Gen.) XT1768 16GB Smartphone (Unlocked)
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...6gb_black.html
    $129.99, Free Shipping, No Sales Tax (For Now) Except NY & NJ

That phone will work on all 4 major US networks, all US MVNOs, and just about any GSM network worldwide, including Ontario, as long as you have a SIM card that includes service in Canada.

I don't know if that's the cheapest price at the moment, but B&H is reputable. If you buy it elsewhere, just make sure it is the TRULY unlocked and universal version, model XT1768, and has no carrier or MVNO branding.

Perhaps someone else will have other suggestions, but the Moto E4 XT1768 is a very solid budget universal unlocked phone!

Feedback Score
    I also vote for an unlocked Moto E4 as a real value. The E4 Plus has some better features. After a not-so-good experience with the G4 Plus, my G5 Plus is a wonder. E4/G5 also have the fingerprint sensor, which can be used for a slick single navigation key. I got the G5 on eBay as a new "open box" for the astounding price of $94 with a one day coupon.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Is it possible to buy a sim card that would allow me to make calls while in Canada? When I look at the Page Plus website all I see are plans that would allow me to call Canada with the call originating in the US. I travel to Canada a couple of times per year and it would be nice to at least be able to make emergency calls while there.

Feedback Score
    I had a detailed reply typed, but the forum lost it!!!!!

I don't have time at the moment to recreate it.

But, briefly...

Not through PPC.

Suggestions for occasional/emergency Canadian usage with non-expiring balances:

truphone.com/us/consumer/sim
    piranha-mobile.com

Device(s)
    Moto G5+ XT1687, 2*Moto E4 XT1768
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Page Plus, Freedompop-ATT
    Feedback Score
    If you can find a US Cellular branded Moto E4 (XT1768) , someone on xda-developers discovered that these appear to be fully unlocked for carrier selection, also eligible for bootloader unlocking (unlike the Verizon-branded ones) if you're interested in rooting, and are available for much less - I paid about $77 with shipping for a new, sealed-inbox one from eBay last week, and had no problems switching my Page Plus service to it.

The only downside is that these do come loaded with a small amount of bloatware from USC, but most can be uninstalled, and the rest disabled. Be sure to disable the bundled "Mobile Data Manager" or "Mobile Security" (possibly two similarly named apps) before going off Wifi, since one of these will try to use up a lot of cellular data for some reason - I guess trying to contact USC. It chewed fhrough about 100MB on mine before I noticed this -- but my PPC balance also ballooned from ~$111 to $658(!) after the 3G-to-4G switch, so I didn't mind too much

Unlocking your bootloader via the Motorola site will allow flashing the normal, carrier-neutral version's firmware in place of USC's if you'd like, but this isn't necessary at all to get the phone working perfectly on Page Plus / Verizon, so I haven't bothered. I did unlock it to get root access, flashing Magisk and the no-verity-opt-encrypt script since I wanted to use several root-only apps, but this isn't required either for normal phone operation.

Feedback Score
    That's true about the US Cellular branded Moto E4 (XT1768). I have one that I got new from eBay for $50 that I keep for a backup. They were also available from https://www.walmart.com/ip/U-S-Cellu...lack/601306780 for $69, but now appear to be OOS. However, I didn't experience that mobile data usage issue, thankfully.