Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: All T-Mobile has to do is NOT be Verizon

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Fire departments are supposed to have (or employ) people who are experts on communications. My bet is that these experts consulted with all the carriers about options and prices and presented a list of options to upper management, including the costs, benefits and problems associated with each and management picked one. They are now trying to deflect criticism for the choice they made.
    Yup. I've been in a few LARGE corporations where plans are ugly gruesome and attempt to be set for 'typical' use cases. I.E. My work plan was set up on AT&T and still has a 500 minute voice cap and 3GB data cap. Previous company I worked for had over 10,000 lines on AT&T, and would typically hang the devices at the store when they looked up my plan.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I worry about Verizon... When GM made the switch to AT&T I knew there was something more to it... then others followed suite for 4G LTE. In more then some area's T-mobile just needs to carefully plan for a good coverage layover esp with 5G around the corner. Late 2018 hopefully there will be more phones that support b71 etc... this will be key to sticking it to big red
    Verizon LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Big Red has little to worry about on the wireless end. As a 'whole' VZ is has shrunk a bit, while AT&T has grown (as has T-Mobile).
    VZ has lost a lot (sold) of its landline business, and I don't mean just rural. In places like SoCal (Los Angeles), they sold off their complete FiOS business to Frontier. In general, its not a horrible business decision if they want to focus on wireless.
    AT&T / T-Mobile and Sprint are going the other way, and expanding with media and IoT. AT&T bought Time Warner and now pushes TV over wireless (its inevitable), T-Mobile has Netflix and Sprint has Hulu. Verizon has ... 6 months of Apple Music ? Verizon has a good network, but beyond that, its becoming the 'dumb pipe'.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    In Oklahoma for work and Verizon is out completely. My coworker had to borrow my TMobile line so not sure what's going on with Verizon service. It seems to be out completely in Oklahoma City

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    In Oklahoma for work and Verizon is out completely. My coworker had to borrow my TMobile line so not sure what's going on with Verizon service. It seems to be out completely in Oklahoma City
    It happens to everyone, even Big Red.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    The CDMA twins, sprint and verizon, they both use horrible tactics, they ignore unlocking rules and create their own and their lawyers say they are entitle to create their own unlocking rules but can't site anything in CITA that explains where they get that from.
    I really hope CDMA dies horribly. The only way they survived thus far has been anti competitive behavior, like locking phones, MSL locks, UICC locks, DSU locks, bootloader locks, etc.. Requiring contractual obligations without a contract, lol! Seriously.
    You people are going on about how they treated first respondents, they treat everyone this way. They treat their customers like criminals and trash.
    Oh heaven forbid if they treat everyone equally like trash, that just can't be tolerated. There has to be class structure right?
    The only real way to make them compete with each other is to make it unlawful for them to lock stuff, no more subsidy crap, and no more forcing contractual obligations to get your device un-hostaged.
    They have used the land line legal excuse for a long time now, that is why the land line business died it got infested with lawyers, LOL!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Yeah I saw that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com..._outage_82318/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Fire departments are supposed to have (or employ) people who are experts on communications. My bet is that these experts consulted with all the carriers about options and prices and presented a list of options to upper management, including the costs, benefits and problems associated with each and management picked one. They are now trying to deflect criticism for the choice they made.

DR, carriers aren't exactly forthcoming on throttling/deprioritization and the effects there of.

In my experience, the reps ALWAYS say "it happens some places, but I've never seen it happen here"

The reps NEVER say "It could very well mean your data connection will be UNUSABLE".

I count Verizon reps as those in my experience who have followed the rule (along with T-Mobile and others). Based on this less-than-honesty, I would say the first responsibility for this problem is the likely misrepresentation by a Verizon rep doing the hardsell to get the FD
    signed up.

On the matter of throttling and deprioritization, the carriers aren't very often helpful for someone in a company or agency making an "informed choice" as a customer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    DR, carriers aren't exactly forthcoming on throttling/deprioritization and the effects there of.

In my experience, the reps ALWAYS say "it happens some places, but I've never seen it happen here"

The reps NEVER say "It could very well mean your data connection will be UNUSABLE".

I count Verizon reps as those in my experience who have followed the rule (along with T-Mobile and others). Based on this less-than-honesty, I would say the first responsibility for this problem is the likely misrepresentation by a Verizon rep doing the hardsell to get the FD
    signed up.

On the matter of throttling and deprioritization, the carriers aren't very often helpful for someone in a company or agency making an "informed choice" as a customer.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...cane-response/

Verizon has denied that its throttling has anything to do with net neutrality but admitted that it failed to follow its own policy of "remov[ing] data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations."

Verizon called the error a "customer support mistake," but Santa Clara County officials rejected that excuse.

Verizon also said it "made a mistake in how we communicated with our customer about the terms of its plan." The fire department was using an "unlimited" plan that got throttled after 25GB of usage each month.

But the throttling during the current wildfire response caught firefighters by surprise. Emails submitted in court show that fire department officials thought they had worked out a solution with Verizon to remove throttling after similar incidents in December and June.
    This whole thing SCREAMS of the same thing everyone here has gotten over the years from the cell phone carrier, the cable company, etc. They make promises over the phone then ignore them and end up changing your account such that the phone rep meets a quota, makes a commission, whatever.

In other words, these people do whatever they want and then, IF they get caught--and that's a big IF--they beg forgiveness.

And of course, you and me catching them is far, far easier for them to blow off then this public relations nightmare they're in.

They've been caught screwing around, undeniably.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...cane-response/

This whole thing SCREAMS of the same thing everyone here has gotten over the years from the cell phone carrier, the cable company, etc. They make promises over the phone then ignore them and end up changing your account such that the phone rep meets a quota, makes a commission, whatever.

In other words, these people do whatever they want and then, IF they get caught--and that's a big IF--they beg forgiveness.

And of course, you and me catching them is far, far easier for them to blow off then this public relations nightmare they're in.

They've been caught screwing around, undeniably.
    Kind of what it looks like to me also. Verizon seemed to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and had to backtrack

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Kind of what it looks like to me also. Verizon seemed to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and had to backtrack
    Kinda. They did state that the fire departments were on an unlimited plan that had throttling at a specific amount.
    Where it went wrong - from what I read, was that the call to remove caps due to the emergency wasn't performed (or performed immediately). VZ backpeddled as this was first responders and they would eat it due to bad PR.
    Safer for them to do a small write off for this - even if they weren't in the wrong - which they 'partly' were.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Where it went wrong - from what I read, was that the call to remove caps due to the emergency wasn't performed (or performed immediately). VZ backpeddled as this was first responders and they would eat it due to bad PR.
    Safer for them to do a small write off for this - even if they weren't in the wrong - which they 'partly' were.
    How many thousands of stories like this do we have in our recent history, where the phone/cable company bills entity XYZ for millions of dollars and insists that they be paid, and then they back off ONLY after having their dirty laundry aired in public??

And you missed this CRUCIAL part of the story:

Emails submitted in court show that fire department officials thought they had worked out a solution with Verizon to remove throttling after similar incidents in December and June.
    I have absolutely NO doubt in my mind that the fire department had a CLEAR understanding of the situation that Verizon promised--and that Verizon simply blew smoke and told them anything they wanted to hear to get them off the emails, and once off the emails, Verizon did absolutely NOTHING of what they committed to.

Usually this is a phone conversation which is harder to track, but emails? I would LOVE to see those emails. We all know what they'll reveal.

And after deliberately doing nothing of what they committed to, Verizon claims innocence.

Feedback Score
    More on this subject:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/...fighters-data/

Verizon will lift all data caps on public safety workers on unlimited data plans in California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii immediately after the company dramatically slowed down data speeds for Santa Clara County firefighters helping to battle the Mendocino Complex Fire.

After a maelstrom of criticism, including from California State Assemblymembers who convened a hearing on the matter on Friday,Verizon will allow public safety workers including firefighters in the four states to have unlimited data with no price increases and data slowdowns, also known as throttling, the company said in an announcement Friday.

Verizon also apologized for its mishap with Santa Clara County Fire Department, in which an employee did not remove the throttling despite requests and even suggested the department pay more for a better data plan during the fire.

“In supporting first responders in the Mendocino fire, we didn’t live up to our own promise of service and performance excellence when our process failed some first responders on the line, battling a massive California wildfire,” said Verizon’s senior vice president of public sector Mike Maiorana in a statement.
    Oh, I'd say they lived up perfectly to their internal promises of service and performance.

Now, please excuse me while I go shower the BS off.

The removal of data caps will apply to basic public safety workers such as firefighters, police officers, and Emergency Medical Services personnel. Verizon extended its public safety worker classification to other federal justice agencies, including the FBI, CIA and the Secret Service, according to Tami Erwin, executive vice president of operation for Verizon Wireless.

However there is a caveat to the new plan: public safety workers would be throttled if they exceeded their contractual data cap for the third consecutive month. If exceeded for the third straight month, data speeds would be reduced to 3G speeds, according to Erwin.
    Yes, because the fires in California have expiration dates on them.

This is the perfect time for Legere to go low key, step in, and quietly offer true unlimited service along with whatever else it takes to ensure that such public servants/first responders actually have the service they need to get the job done (mobile trucks, balloons, whatever). That would be a fist for Verizon to sit on.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    VZ has/is/will always be full of bullocks!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    VZ has/is/will always be full of bullocks!!!
    Yeah I prefer TMobile and At&t over Verizon any day

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast