Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do "good" phones do that cheap phones don't do?

Feedback Score
    Back in 1996, I was young and dumb and actually spent $1353 on an analog Motorola StarTac 8000 when it first launched.

It was really a status symbol until Motorola decided to release their cheaper StarTac versions like a year later.

Now in 2018, I prefer to spend no more than $200 on an Android. $1300 in 1996 had a lot more purchasing power than today. So a $1450+ iPhone is cheap compared to a StarTac flagship of yesteryear.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I think apple global smartphone market share is 18%.

Some apple phones cost $1000 now.

One reason I think a lot of people buy apple is because it is like a status symbol because people will think you are rich if you use one. It is cheaper than buying an expensive sports car to make you look rich.

Another reason I know some people buy apple is because they are not very computer savvy and they think it is easier to use.
    While I have never owned anything apple, I can certainly see the appeal. And while there are certainly people like you describe above, there is a legion of reasons that people may choose to own apple. There are many others that buy them because they like apple. They buy them because they are invested in the apple ecosystem. They buy them because they are easy to use. They buy them because they offer a premium experience and generally support their phones for years. They buy them because there are many many accessories for them and they generally transfer from device to device. Lots of reasons other than self importance and snobbery.

I think maybe years ago people may have thought of them as status but where I am in Chicago, they are ubiquitous.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Back in 1996, I was young and dumb and actually spent $1353 on an analog Motorola StarTac 8000 when it first launched.

It was really a status symbol until Motorola decided to release their cheaper StarTac versions like a year later.

Now in 2018, I prefer to spend no more than $200 on an Android. $1300 in 1996 had a lot more purchasing power than today. So a $1450+ iPhone is cheap compared to a StarTac flagship of yesteryear.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Ha ha I did the same thing a few years earlier than you but I got the Motorola MicroTac Elite. It has a built in answering machine!

Sent from my SM-G960F using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am an apple and android user and calling apple an status symbol is an but stupid , The reason I use apple is because the last longer and hold better value, hell I have an old iPhone 5s that’s still works good compared to an android phone which doesn’t last long or hold value long

Sent from my iPhone XS Max
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    I said a lot of people buy apple because it is a status symbol not everyone so of course a lot buy apple for other reasons that have nothing to do with showing off.

Also using apple as a status symbol to show you have money works good because it is subtly because you just show your phone while using it.

Another reason a lot choose the iphone is because of some technology it has. Because the iphone cost a lot they often have some of the best technology available for smartphones. For example, their cameras are probable among the best smartphone camera you can get.

Feedback Score
    I think Android is a lot easier to use than iPhone. Just to try and copy a file from your desktop computer onto your iPhone versus your Android. You will find out the nightmare.

And when it comes to sound files, it's pretty much impossible. The couple of times that I have had iPhones. I fought with this for hours. And gave up. This actually took split-seconds on an Android device.

As for iPhones having more accessories. This really doesn't matter unless you are comparing it to a very very obscure Android. most of the many current and older Android models with any sort of popularity have a huge variety of cases and screen protectors and other accessories available for them.

so easier to use at Moore accessories doesn't really hold up as an iPhone Advantage. But what does? The ecosystem. All those teenagers have FaceTime and they can only share with their friends who have FaceTime if they have iPhones. The same with imessage. I think this is more important than a lot of these other considerations that have been mentioned here.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use a ZTE BLADE ZMAX. Before that I used a ZMAX PRO, and before that a ZMAX.

Total cost for all three of those phones was about $350. $99. $99. and $149.

I've used flagship phones. I've paid $800, $700, and $400 for phones. In the end I've enjoyed my "cheap" ZTE phones more than any other. They're inexpensive and do everything that I need. A real shame that ZTE got into trouble.

The closest competitor would be LG with it's stylo line. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Huawei has some good phones in the $350 range.

I have no need for a $1,000 phone. I'll NEVER use an Apple or Samsung phone even it was given to me for free.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    To answer the thread title question, cheap phones don't do "Windows".
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    this is an odd question the difference between cheap phones and high end are night and day but for me it’s the speed and the screen , I tried cheap phones and they just don’t compare like trying to compare and zte blade to and note 9 or iPhone max thats an joke , but some people are ok with cheap phones which is just fine but for me I have the ablity to buy new phones and I like tech

Sent from my iPhone XS Max

Feedback Score
    yes also Chinese smartwatches

Feedback Score
    what about smartwatches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2