Thread: ATT 2016 Unlimited hotspot upgrade question

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score

ATT 2016 Unlimited hotspot upgrade question

I've been reading around and see that some people are having issues with hotspots and activations for the newer plans. Does this apply to the older unlimited (2016) plan? I'm wanting to upgrade an old unite explore to the nighthawk, but want to make sure I won't have any issues or surprises with the new changes going on.

Feedback Score
    I'm not completely sure but i think most of the problems ive heard of were on the Mobley / connected car plan hadn't heard any problems with a Unlimited plan

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, even if you have a multi line Unlimited Plus plan that used to allow hotspot only lines, it's almost impossible to activate new hotspots now. So if you already had them active you're fine, but no new additions. (At least i think that's how it's going now.)

Feedback Score
    Also unless just trying to future proof yourself and if you are paying full cost anyway buying from a best buy or some other box store that will not charge for the return. I bought a nighthawk just to check it out and my unite explore at least for right now is just as good in comparison. I was hoping being able to tether by a network cable instead of USB would increase the speeds but it did not. I believe the ping was slightly better but other than that speed wise it was the same so i returned it.

This should also help with any problems as you pretty much take ATT out of the equation.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I think, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, even if you have a multi line Unlimited Plus plan that used to allow hotspot only lines, it's almost impossible to activate new hotspots now. So if you already had them active you're fine, but no new additions. (At least i think that's how it's going now.)
    That's what I was thinking. So what about upgrades though? Will it allow those plans to continue with upgrades with existing hotspots, or does it stop it?

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cocky01 View Post
    Also unless just trying to future proof yourself and if you are paying full cost anyway buying from a best buy or some other box store that will not charge for the return. I bought a nighthawk just to check it out and my unite explore at least for right now is just as good in comparison. I was hoping being able to tether by a network cable instead of USB would increase the speeds but it did not. I believe the ping was slightly better but other than that speed wise it was the same so i returned it.

This should also help with any problems as you pretty much take ATT out of the equation.
    Thanks, I'll probably do that and avoid ATT altogether.

Feedback Score
    If you do just don't even tell them your number or anything , just tell them you're going to do a sim swap and you want to buy it outright.

Feedback Score
    You really don't need to activate a device, just have an activated SIM. I've swapped mine from a Unite Explore, to a Velocity, to a Night Hawk, and now on an MC7455. All the devices are paid for in full. All on the old Unlimited Plus plan.