Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A word of warning about switching to multiline and auto pay

Feedback Score

A word of warning about switching to multiline and auto pay

A month ago I ported in from Cricket and was told (like I had read on here) to wait until the next to last for auto-pay to switch my 4 lines into a single multi-line plan. So yesterday was the day and I did it. This morning I find that my credit card has been charged for 3 of the lines--even though I have more than enough credit on the main line to cover all 4 lines. So I call in and found out that, even though it doesn't say it anywhere, and it doesn't make ANY logical sense, you have to turn off auto pay on the "joined" lines or otherwise they will continue to auto-pay. The worst part was that they couldn't refund me (even though today was the last day of the first month, so I technically hadn't used any of what they charged) so now I have a credit for next month, but with no callingmart discount and charged for taxes/911 fees. I don't understand why ATT's system has to be so crazy (no multi-line discount to start with when i port, but auto pay discount will be applied) when Cricket can do it no problem. It's really poor engineering design.

So word of warning....turn off auto pay on all the sub lines if you switch over to multi-line or you will have a nasty surprise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macville View Post
    So word of warning....turn off auto pay on all the sub lines if you switch over to multi-line or you will have a nasty surprise.
    Sorry you went through that and you're right that AT&T Prepaid's OLAM isn't as good as Cricket's. That advice works if you don't have autopay; because of the weird way autopay works it tends to get wonky if plan changes are made between the autopay activity and the plan renewal. I have been trying to post suggestions in relevant threads to call Customer Service for account changes because if there's a problem then they'll usually issue an account credit to fix any oddities that occur if/when they do it. I called Customer Service a week ahead of my plan renewal date when I set up my multiline account and they turned off autopay immediately then told me to call back the day before my plan renewed. When I called back, they set up the multiline account, turned back on autopay, and gave an account credit that straightened everything out. The account activity admittedly looked like a mess, but it all worked out in the end.

The bright side? You've been through the worst part, now you just keep refilling with CallingMart/discounted PINs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Oh, I had posted this problem on another thread, as that happens to me too.

Yes, if you had originally autopay on in the member lines, you must turn it off yourself, otherwise at&t keeps charging for those, and you won't get refunds, so the money stays there sitting as a positive balance for the member line, unless you use it to buy add-ons.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I do not trust AT&T's Prepaid billing system at all. I have seen threads where people are double charged by AT&T when renewing their plan. I use AT&T prepaid cards bought at my local store.

Feedback Score
    As a multiple hundred billion dollar company, at&t is running an archaic billing system for prepaid, which I believe also inhibits getting VoLTE and WiFi calling on top of the strange billing issues. I don’t know why they don’t just update it or move prepaid to the standard billing system that postpaid uses or maybe even borrow crickets billing system.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    As a multiple hundred billion dollar company, at&t is running an archaic billing system for prepaid, which I believe also inhibits getting VoLTE and WiFi calling on top of the strange billing issues. I don’t know why they don’t just update it or move prepaid to the standard billing system that postpaid uses or maybe even borrow crickets billing system.
    Does anybody know what system AT&T uses for their prepaid system? Are they using the Cingular billing and provisioning system for their prepaid platform? I found an interesting read in Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_GoPhone

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    One of the quirks of AT&T Prepaid is that adding funds and purchasing services are separate distinct operations. Under this system one can have expiration dates of the funds in your account, expiration dates of service plans and expiration dates of any add-on features.
    Earl F. Parrish

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Erricson made their system, and I believe erricson runs att prepaid, under contract of ATT.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/press-re...-paid-services

Feedback Score
    You don't need to go back to 2007 to find the Ericsson connection, take a look at the source segment below from the current AT&T Prepaid login page (emphasis added):

<!-- GroundworkCSS -->
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/groundwork.css?rand_string=multiline_ph1">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/ericsson.css?rand_string=sonsored-data">

<!-- myatt phase 2 drop2 Css splitting -->
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/gophone.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/tablet.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/whpp.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/hotspot.css">

Seriously wish they could move AT&T Prepaid's OLAM to Cricket's platform.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    You don't need to go back to 2007 to find the Ericsson connection, take a look at the source segment below from the current AT&T Prepaid login page (emphasis added):

<!-- GroundworkCSS -->
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/groundwork.css?rand_string=multiline_ph1">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/ericsson.css?rand_string=sonsored-data">

<!-- myatt phase 2 drop2 Css splitting -->
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/gophone.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/tablet.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/whpp.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/uiericsson/hotspot.css">

Seriously wish they could move AT&T Prepaid's OLAM to Cricket's platform.
    I do not think it would be possible for AT&T to move their prepaid users onto the Cricket Wireless OLAM due to the fact it would apply the Cricket restrictions to the branded AT&T Prepaid users. AT&T is going to have to make a new prepaid OLAM or move the prepaid users onto their postpaid OLAM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I do not think it would be possible for AT&T to move their prepaid users onto the Cricket Wireless OLAM due to the fact it would apply the Cricket restrictions to the branded AT&T Prepaid users.
    IMHO the restrictions should not be that big of an issue because restriction-wise Cricket and AT&T Prepaid aren't that far apart:

1) Throttles - Cricket already has two different throttles, 3Mbps and 8Mbps, so why couldn't they just flip the throttle off on a new class of plans?
    2) Features - Cricket's Unlimited plans have Canada/Mexico calling & roaming just like AT&T Prepaid.
    3) Both Cricket and AT&T Prepaid are deprioritized.

The problems are more administrative, likely stemming from the fact that Cricket and AT&T use different SIM cards. Provisioning is probably totally different; AT&T Prepaid uses postpaid Customer Service, which means they'd probably lose that and have to use Cricket's service; the downloadable billing detail would also disappear.

On second thought, I'll stick with dealing with wonky plan change issues once in a blue moon to keep service I'm perfectly happy with.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    I do not think it would be possible for AT&T to move their prepaid users onto the Cricket Wireless OLAM due to the fact it would apply the Cricket restrictions to the branded AT&T Prepaid users. AT&T is going to have to make a new prepaid OLAM or move the prepaid users onto their postpaid OLAM.
    The problem is Cricket is managed separately than the Ericsson business, which is likely managed differently than the post-paid business. I don't think Ericsson manages their post-paid customers.

Prepaid, Ericsson business, is under contract, which would likely make it difficult to bring that back in-house, unless they break the contract, or refuse to renew.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    IMHO the restrictions should not be that big of an issue because restriction-wise Cricket and AT&T Prepaid aren't that far apart:

1) Throttles - Cricket already has two different throttles, 3Mbps and 8Mbps, so why couldn't they just flip the throttle off on a new class of plans?
    2) Features - Cricket's Unlimited plans have Canada/Mexico calling & roaming just like AT&T Prepaid.
    3) Both Cricket and AT&T Prepaid are deprioritized.

The problems are more administrative, likely stemming from the fact that Cricket and AT&T use different SIM cards. Provisioning is probably totally different; AT&T Prepaid uses postpaid Customer Service, which means they'd probably lose that and have to use Cricket's service; the downloadable billing detail would also disappear.

On second thought, I'll stick with dealing with wonky plan change issues once in a blue moon to keep service I'm perfectly happy with.
    Cricket Wireless and AT&T Prepaid restrictions are very far apart. Cricket Wireless charges for hotspot data, it has to be a branded Cricket Wireless headset, and in addition has to be on their hotspot device approved list. AT&T Prepaid hotspot data works on any GSM phone without paying an additional fee to use. Cricket Wireless caps the download speed and AT&T Prepaid does not.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    The problem is Cricket is managed separately than the Ericsson business, which is likely managed differently than the post-paid business. I don't think Ericsson manages their post-paid customers.

Prepaid, Ericsson business, is under contract, which would likely make it difficult to bring that back in-house, unless they break the contract, or refuse to renew.
    AT&T is going to have to address the no VOLTE and WIFI Calling issues with their branded prepaid within the next year if not sooner since they are eventually going to want to reclaim the spectrum being used by WCDMA and 3G/HSPA with the upcoming 5G standard.

Feedback Score
    Cricket Wireless charges for hotspot data
    Not on all plans, the Cricket Unlimited plans include 10GB of hotspot data at no additional charge - which is the same amount AT&T Prepaid gives with its unlimited plans

it has to be a branded Cricket Wireless headset, and in addition has to be on their hotspot device approved list
    That's not necessarily a hard and fast technology-related rule, it's an administrative rule. If I vaguely recall, people with authorized hotspot usage were able to use hotspot on some non-Cricket phones. I know I used my Honor 6X on the 5GB plan to hotspot on Cricket several times before I left.

Cricket Wireless caps the download speed and AT&T Prepaid does not.
    True but, considering that cap is variable based on the plan, I'm not seeing any technical reason why Cricket couldn't unthrottle data. In fact, when they were on the old Jasper servers back before they moved Cricket to the AT&T proxies, it was possible to get upload speeds up to 16-20Mbps on Cricket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast