Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: U.S. Cellular launches fixed services over existing LTE network

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,609
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by name_here View Post
    Satellite plans vary by zip code. My zip, for $100 ($30 off regular price for two years) Hughesnet has 50GB for the month before throttling, plus 50GB for the month after midnight zone, up to 25 meg download. Very good actually. Viasat's new plan in my area, their cheapest, is $100, 35GB before throttling, no additional zone, plus streaming video capped at 360p, up to 12 meg service. Both add $10/month or so for equipment. Plus primetime congestion is common, especially after more people get on the new satellites. VPN could get around video restrictions, but don't work well with satellite. After throttling, well under one meg happens commonly. Some areas, with congestion, can see that even before going over the limit. My area had installs for Viasat closed for most of the last 6 years due to being full. Other zip codes with Viasat have cheaper plans, faster too, they aimed more capacity at densely populated areas.

    I had satellite for 7 years, I'm still around it, and have been around it for over 20 years.
    I checked, our area has the same plans for Viasat, but Hughenet only has 10 and 20 GB for my location (Redwood Valley, CA). Man, those companies really take advantage of the situation! I have Blast! with Comcast, 150/10 (provisioned 180/12) for $80 a month, 1 TB soft cap, and they just upgraded our system (Ukiah, CA CMTS) to DOCSIS 3.1, and Gigabit will be here soon, it runs $126 a month for 1000/35, though they offer deals that bring it down to $89. Like I said, I'm lucky, Comcast cable lines only serve Ukiah, Redwood Valley, Wilits and Fort Bragg (and some nearby coastal towns), the rest of the county, IF they can get wireless or wired broadband, make do with MUCH slower, and a lot more expensive service. They did try recently to put in a redundant fiber network (Golden Bear Project) that would have served many unserved/underserved areas in rural NorCal, including ours of Mendocino County, but the big guys lobbied, and got it nixed, they won't serve some areas, but when those areas do something about it, they throw a fit like a toddler. They haven't given up though, so hopefully, someday, maybe, I hope.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    243
    Feedback Score
    0
    So it opened in August at select locations: what is the current status on how widely available it is?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,961
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    So it opened in August at select locations: what is the current status on how widely available it is?
    Seems to be available in most of the Western Washington market... this has been a *lifesaver* for a number of my co-workers that I've referred once I realized this was out a few months ago. The WISPs up here have very, very limited range due to hills and trees (you have to be either on a taller hill, or lucky that you can happen to see the hill with towers), Centurylink has done a horrible job of extending DSL off the I5 corridor, and Comcast doesn't extend nearly far enough (I bought a new house that's a bit out in the sticks -- basically the last house on the line -- Centurylink claims they "don't have enough bandwidth" for new connections... I'd be furious if Comcast wasn't here).

    USCC even put up a site about a year ago about 12 miles from I5 -- in a total dead zone for all cell carriers, with no broadband options... this is huge out there. I was absolutely amazed when I took a drive out there to see some old friends that I had full roaming cell service -- and spotted the tower on a ridge. Probably 100 people in range of this thing -- but as they learn about it, they will probably all sign up for broadband. Friends had switched back to USCC when they saw it go up and roamed on it, and are using this in addition to HughesNet now.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,609
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    According to their site, it's also available here in NorCal, part of USCC's Northwest Market (N.CA, OR, WA).

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Seems to be available in most of the Western Washington market... this has been a *lifesaver* for a number of my co-workers that I've referred once I realized this was out a few months ago. The WISPs up here have very, very limited range due to hills and trees (you have to be either on a taller hill, or lucky that you can happen to see the hill with towers), Centurylink has done a horrible job of extending DSL off the I5 corridor, and Comcast doesn't extend nearly far enough (I bought a new house that's a bit out in the sticks -- basically the last house on the line -- Centurylink claims they "don't have enough bandwidth" for new connections... I'd be furious if Comcast wasn't here).

    USCC even put up a site about a year ago about 12 miles from I5 -- in a total dead zone for all cell carriers, with no broadband options... this is huge out there. I was absolutely amazed when I took a drive out there to see some old friends that I had full roaming cell service -- and spotted the tower on a ridge. Probably 100 people in range of this thing -- but as they learn about it, they will probably all sign up for broadband. Friends had switched back to USCC when they saw it go up and roamed on it, and are using this in addition to HughesNet now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    According to their site, it's also available here in NorCal, part of USCC's Northwest Market (N.CA, OR, WA).
    I know a couple people that got this (refresher, no land internet options available here). US Cellular changed their plans for the zip, there is not one labeled unlimited any more (which was slowed to 2G after 160GB), they raised the data cost price, of course. $50 for 25GB, $70 for 55GB, $150 for 125 GB, $250 for 225GB.

    Off topic.------
    Couple things changed here. There is a Wisp in the village now. 3 meg service, unlimited, is $40 (they said they are raising prices to that, it was $30, and it was higher before it came to the area). Working range is about 5 miles, iffy past that for a couple miles, so no use for me or most people I know. The service does work really well though, I tested streaming in town in the evening and have been getting updates on how it's working.

    The regional cell company I WAS using for that 2.5 meg service I mentioned before is offering new service starting at $35 for 5 meg, possible deprioritization after 15GB per day, so not too bad. It uses the same 1900MHz that their regular service does, so it doesn't travel well either. I have an antenna and booster, required to get a signal for the old service through all the trees at only a little over 5 miles from their rural tower. But, it's mandatory that they install their equipment, including outside antenna, for the new plans. Also, mandatory line of site, you need to see the tower. If I set something up in the most practical place, it's about 200ft from the house, and would need about 20 cottonwoods taken out, plus several cedars, and possibly some more about 1/2 mile away on the property. If my new option quits, that's what I'd do.

    Locally owned telephone company has been for sale for years, I doubt they will upgrade lines, despite they said they were going to in 5 years (they said that 15 years ago, and about 7 years ago, when I asked, I stopped asking when I see them around). Another village some 40 miles away, different company that owns several phone areas, is upgrading their lines. My cousins, some 20 miles from that village, are getting fiber optic run to their house. Don't know what plans they will offer.

    Luckily Verizon offered the prepaid jetpack plan, I upgraded to that, hopefully they keep those of us on it since they discontinued it. I have a choice of towers, one over 10 miles away through trees, or one 13 miles, direct line of site. I point the antenna at either, download is the same, upload is double on the 13 mile tower. I average about 20 down, 15 up all day, all night, weekend, holiday, etc. So, not much to complain about.... I have the sim in a cheap Smarthub. I may upgrade to a user assembled unit https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/we826-lte-router , but, I haven't had time for testing. I believe the towers are band 13, and any phone I've tested, including postpaid, doesn't get much faster. Not that I need more speed..., I was just thinking of having a better unit (mine cuts out a couple seconds every once in a while, couple times during a session). I picked up a second jetpack line when I heard it was being discontinued, don't know what I'll do with that, thought if a neighbor needed it. Or, may keep it and set up a load balancing setup.

    Visible wireless would sort of work, 5 meg limitation on the phone hotspot. They don't want it used for home internet, but, it would work for what I and others do, much less restrictive than some other options.

    Oneweb is currently testing. LEO looks promising, depending on pricing, capacity, and availability (which I'd think shouldn't be an issue for a lot of the US/world...). https://www.geek.com/tech/early-test...0mbps-1796452/

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,609
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by name_here View Post
    I know a couple people that got this (refresher, no land internet options available here). US Cellular changed their plans for the zip, there is not one labeled unlimited any more (which was slowed to 2G after 160GB), they raised the data cost price, of course. $50 for 25GB, $70 for 55GB, $150 for 125 GB, $250 for 225GB.

    Off topic.------
    Couple things changed here. There is a Wisp in the village now. 3 meg service, unlimited, is $40 (they said they are raising prices to that, it was $30, and it was higher before it came to the area). Working range is about 5 miles, iffy past that for a couple miles, so no use for me or most people I know. The service does work really well though, I tested streaming in town in the evening and have been getting updates on how it's working.

    The regional cell company I WAS using for that 2.5 meg service I mentioned before is offering new service starting at $35 for 5 meg, possible deprioritization after 15GB per day, so not too bad. It uses the same 1900MHz that their regular service does, so it doesn't travel well either. I have an antenna and booster, required to get a signal for the old service through all the trees at only a little over 5 miles from their rural tower. But, it's mandatory that they install their equipment, including outside antenna, for the new plans. Also, mandatory line of site, you need to see the tower. If I set something up in the most practical place, it's about 200ft from the house, and would need about 20 cottonwoods taken out, plus several cedars, and possibly some more about 1/2 mile away on the property. If my new option quits, that's what I'd do.

    Locally owned telephone company has been for sale for years, I doubt they will upgrade lines, despite they said they were going to in 5 years (they said that 15 years ago, and about 7 years ago, when I asked, I stopped asking when I see them around). Another village some 40 miles away, different company that owns several phone areas, is upgrading their lines. My cousins, some 20 miles from that village, are getting fiber optic run to their house. Don't know what plans they will offer.

    Luckily Verizon offered the prepaid jetpack plan, I upgraded to that, hopefully they keep those of us on it since they discontinued it. I have a choice of towers, one over 10 miles away through trees, or one 13 miles, direct line of site. I point the antenna at either, download is the same, upload is double on the 13 mile tower. I average about 20 down, 15 up all day, all night, weekend, holiday, etc. So, not much to complain about.... I have the sim in a cheap Smarthub. I may upgrade to a user assembled unit https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/we826-lte-router , but, I haven't had time for testing. I believe the towers are band 13, and any phone I've tested, including postpaid, doesn't get much faster. Not that I need more speed..., I was just thinking of having a better unit (mine cuts out a couple seconds every once in a while, couple times during a session). I picked up a second jetpack line when I heard it was being discontinued, don't know what I'll do with that, thought if a neighbor needed it. Or, may keep it and set up a load balancing setup.

    Visible wireless would sort of work, 5 meg limitation on the phone hotspot. They don't want it used for home internet, but, it would work for what I and others do, much less restrictive than some other options.

    Oneweb is currently testing. LEO looks promising, depending on pricing, capacity, and availability (which I'd think shouldn't be an issue for a lot of the US/world...). https://www.geek.com/tech/early-test...0mbps-1796452/
    There's no unlimited showing for our zip, 95470 (Redwood Valley, Mendocino County) either. We have Comcast Blast! Pro (250/10, provisioned 300/12), though, which I feel lucky to have, Cable lines only serve Ukiah, Redwood Valley, Willits and Fort Bragg (and a few nearby coastal communities), granted, that's about 60% of the population, but it still leaves out towns like Potter Valley, Hopland, Laytonville, Leggett, Piercy, Dos Rios, Covelo, Elk, Gualala, Point Arena, Boonville, and Westport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 09:25 AM
  3. About half of Verizon’s data traffic travels over its LTE network
    By whitetigergrowl in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
  4. Bluegrass Cellular Launches EVDO Service
    By 3Guru in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks