Thread: is SMS text message supported on Tracfone?

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

is SMS text message supported on Tracfone?

Hey everyone, I haven't log into my Uber account for several years now. Since then, I've switched phones and carriers to Tracfone.

Yesterday, I tried to logged into my Uber account. As most of you know, Uber will send you an SMS text message for verification every time you try to log into your Uber account. I waited for more than a few hours, but the SMS text message never arrive.

It turns out, SMS text does not work for Tracfone? I'm not really sure.

- preprepaid.com/whichtracfonecarrier.php
    Communication: Tracfone not listed in SMS carriers
    - tracfone.com/termsandconditions
    TracFone does not generally participate in Premium SMS services or campaigns."

I was finally able to logged into my Uber account when it prompted me to verified my email address instead after many failed attempts with SMS verification. I changed my phone number on Uber to a google voice number so I can receive text message from it in the future.

I was wonder if anyone here were having trouble receiving text message from Uber on their Tracfone phone number? How do I check if SMS is enable on my phone (Galaxy S7, G930F Exynos Version, updated to Oreo) or on my Tracfone account?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beev_ View Post
    It turns out, SMS text does not work for Tracfone? I'm not really sure.
    Plain old SMS (text messages between people or businesses) works on Tracfone. However, Premium SMS doesn't work on Tracfone. See Section 5. TEXT MESSAGING of Tracfone Terms & Conditions .

Feedback Score
    SMS has been working fine on TracFone AT&T and Verizon for me. I'm sure there would be a lot of posts here if SMS wasn't working for TracFone users. SMS is a basic mobile carrier function, but occasionally users have to contact a TracFone CSR if they are having SMS issues - so you may want to do that. Try using the website chat link which can be found off the support page from the main TracFone.com website during normal East Coast business hours.

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if Uber use premium SMS?

I don't have a problem receiving SMS message from Uber on Google Voice. But on Tracfone, I'm not receiving any SMS message at all, especially from Uber.

Feedback Score
    Have someone send you a SMS to your TracFone number and see if you receive it. Don't you have your GV account set up to forward texts to your TracFone number?

I don't have a problem receiving SMS message from Uber on Google Voice. But on Tracfone, I'm not receiving any SMS message at all, especially from Uber.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Have someone send you a SMS to your TracFone number and see if you receive it. Don't you have your GV account set up to forward texts to your TracFone number?
    Just a little forewarning, I know some services does not like Google Voice numbers. I did have my Google Voice on some places, but they asked me to verify the phone number, and now they will not take it as a number because the places think it is VoIP number now. I even asked the places support about it, but all they told me is they can't send texts to VoIP numbers.

Feedback Score
    I seem to recall reading that Uber won't work with a VoIP number/Google Voice after reading your post. Just searched now using Google and lots of posts confirming that.

Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Just a little forewarning, I know some services does not like Google Voice numbers. I did have my Google Voice on some places, but they asked me to verify the phone number, and now they will not take it as a number because the places think it is VoIP number now. I even asked the places support about it, but all they told me is they can't send texts to VoIP numbers.

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I seem to recall reading that Uber won't work with a VoIP number/Google Voice after reading your post. Just searched now using Google and lots of posts confirming that.
    Well, uber's been working for me on my google voice number in receiving sms message from them.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, uber's been working for me on my google voice number in receiving sms message from them.
    Yea, I know some places still allow my Google Voice number since it was setup long ago, and they still can get it verified. For some reason, Steam was the one that I had biggest issues with. They could not get it re-verified with Google Voice number even tho it was setup very long ago with my Google Voice number, and it was working just fine before. So I chatted with them, and they said even tho it was working before, they could not fix it to use my Google Voice number.

There was a few places that got around that issue when I chatted with them, but they said they can't guarantee if you get the texts tho.

Feedback Score

I think Uber must use regular SMS, I got some wrong number texts from them a while back.

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Plain old SMS (text messages between people or businesses) works on Tracfone. However, Premium SMS doesn't work on Tracfone. See Section 5. TEXT MESSAGING of Tracfone Terms & Conditions .
    That might be what the terms say, but I have no issue with "Premium SMS" on my BYOP TracFone with AT&T SIM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Some businesses that say they use (or offer to use) SMS to send you notifications actually use email to SMS gateways of the respective four major U.S. carriers (pretty easy way to bulk send messages), and Google Voice does not have one of those (would be nice though). I've had institutions on a form ask me who my "cell phone carrier" was, and Google wasn't one of the choices, so I couldn't opt for SMS notifications (I don't always use the same forwarded handset/linked number or I'd consider just giving that number).