Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104

Thread: NY Times -- "A Maverick With the Might to Cut Prices (TM&Sprint Combo)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Berkeley and Miami
    Posts
    4,784
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    0

    NY Times -- "A Maverick With the Might to Cut Prices (TM&Sprint Combo)

    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,398
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    What do you think?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Short term, absolutely. Long term? Not a chance. If you go from 4 to 3 you lose the bottom feeder and thus the need to keep prices in check. That 5g investment is going to be paid back from users.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,593
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I feel the merger has a 70% chance of being approved. Without the merger Sprint will first go Chapter 11 then out of business ot sell off spectrum then maybe turn into a small regional network like US Cellular if they deal is killed. Sprint has been giving away free service for a year and discounted service to $15 just to attract new customers which won't pay the interest on their massive debt. Sprint needs to increase prices drastically for service without the merger just to stay in business with all that debt. Softbank isn't going to keep throwing good money after bad in Sprint. Softbank also is having to leverage their investments to get new loans for operating cash and has a covenant with the Japanese banks to stop increasing their position in Sprint. Anyone that thinks Sprint can survive without this merger is clueless.

    No one has shown any interest in buying Sprint but T-Mobile since the only thing Sprint has in value if their spectrum and customers. Spectrum and customers would only help a cell network company like T-Mobile, AT&T or Verizon. If you can't get a merger with Sprint and T-Mobile there is no chance with getting a merger with AT&T or Verizon. Sprint is dead man walking without this merger with T-Mobile.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-01-2018 at 11:45 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe at first but I can already get a line for cheaper on att and Verizon now

    I think we will end up with 3 carriers with basically the same price

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    225
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even after the merger, t-mobile will have far fewer subscribers than the big two so there's incentive for t-mobile to compete to steal customers. I think that competition will increase provided t-mobile keeps its promises of better rural coverage and fixed wireless.

    At least on fixed wireless with 5G, t-mobile again has incentives to invest because they have little to no presence outside of wireless consumer service. At&t will aggressively go after govt and commercial with their first net roll out. t-mobile has already inked 5G infrastructure deals worth billions.

    As competition heats up, t-mobile has no choice but to build out rural coverage as it will remain the differentiation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    535
    Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Eh prices aren't going to drop by losing a major player. If anything, maybe we will finally see some competition in the home broadband space (where comcast and a few others have a stranglehold on the markets). That is what I am interested in, because wireless prices have steadily rose the past few years. I do not see that changing with a huge merger and next gen network buildout.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Without the merger Sprint will first go Chapter 11 then out of business Sprint is dead man walking without this merger with T-Mobile.
    Unfortunately for you, they actually have to release quarterly earnings reports every 3 months. They actually just released one this morning. Let's see....176 million profit....over 8 billion in revenue, postpaid phone arpu of over $49 (which kills the whole "they give away free service" gimmick people use. That arpu will likely be higher than tmobiles) EBITDA of 3.3 billion (their highest in 11 years). Yea, got no chance of survival. In reality TMobile needs sprint much more than sprint actually needs TMobile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,926
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Unfortunately for you, they actually have to release quarterly earnings reports every 3 months. They actually just released one this morning. Let's see....176 million profit....over 8 billion in revenue, postpaid phone arpu of over $49 (which kills the whole "they give away free service" gimmick people use. That arpu will likely be higher than tmobiles) EBITDA of 3.3 billion (their highest in 11 years). Yea, got no chance of survival. In reality TMobile needs sprint much more than sprint actually needs TMobile.
    Those are the recent sprint numbers?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Those are the recent sprint numbers?
    Yea they reported before the market opened today. TMobile reports when the market closes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,926
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Yea they reported before the market opened today. TMobile reports when the market closes.
    Sprint did better than I expected.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Sprint did better than I expected.
    They added 123,000 postpaid account, 87,000 were postpaid phone adds, 3,000 prepaid adds but prepaid churn dropped to it's lowest levels in 3 years. Postpaid churn dropped. Postpaid service revenue grew sequentially for the first time in 4 years, postpaid arpu grew sequentially for the first time in 5 years. It's the 3rd straight quarter with a net income and 10th straight quarter of operating income.

    I've said this before, one of the reasons TMobile wants to merge with Sprint is to remove competition. Sprint is starting to get their footing on solid ground, that makes them dangerous to TMobile over at&t and Verizon, as Sprint can force TMobile to drive down their pricing. TMobile doesn't want to compete on that low end anymore, they only want to compete on the high end with Verizon and at&t, easiest way to do that is to get rid of sprint.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,926
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    They added 123,000 postpaid account, 87,000 were postpaid phone adds, 3,000 prepaid adds but prepaid churn dropped to it's lowest levels in 3 years. Postpaid churn dropped. Postpaid service revenue grew sequentially for the first time in 4 years, postpaid arpu grew sequentially for the first time in 5 years. It's the 3rd straight quarter with a net income and 10th straight quarter of operating income.

    I've said this before, one of the reasons TMobile wants to merge with Sprint is to remove competition. Sprint is starting to get their footing on solid ground, that makes them dangerous to TMobile over at&t and Verizon, as Sprint can force TMobile to drive down their pricing. TMobile doesn't want to compete on that low end anymore, they only want to compete on the high end with Verizon and at&t, easiest way to do that is to get rid of sprint.
    Wonder what TMobile numbers will look like

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Wonder what TMobile numbers will look like
    Probably about the same as last quarter, I'd say 800,000 postpaid adds, 600,000 of them phone adds. 150,000 prepaid adds. Little over 10 billion in revenue. Postpaid churn of around 1.05%. Those are my guesses. Q2 (q1 for sprint) are generally the slowest quarters of the year.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,593
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Eh prices aren't going to drop by losing a major player. If anything, maybe we will finally see some competition in the home broadband space (where comcast and a few others have a stranglehold on the markets). That is what I am interested in, because wireless prices have steadily rose the past few years. I do not see that changing with a huge merger and next gen network buildout.
    Prices will go up without a merger. Sprint and T-Mobile combined can save 25 thousand redundant cell towers as they move from 110,000 total combined towers to just 85,000. Everything turns up a cost saving with a merger from TV Advertisement, tower leases, backhaul and electric cost, new equipment and far less network maintenance. Big saving in not having to buy as much new spectrum at FCC Auctions.

    Sprint is going out of business or selling off their spectrum that is leveraged in loans. Sprint needs billions of dollars just to get VoLTE nations wide since Verizon is dropping CDMA in 2019. Sprint has to move to 5G NR but they can't take on more debt. Softbank is also hurting loaded with debt ($147 billion dollars US) from all their acquisitions and leveraging their assets to get $8B loan from banks. Softbank shopped Sprint all over and no one else wants it. The only place left for Sprint is to start selling off their spectrum that is already leveraged against their debt. Without Verizon's CDMA Sprint is dropping back to a much smaller company.

    There are far more reasons to raise prices for both Sprint and T-Mobile as separate companies than as a combined merged company.

    SoftBank Borrows $8 Billion Backed by Alibaba Holding

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time Autoupdate on Rogers with the E61 and E62
    By smoore in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 04:11 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 07:12 AM
  4. Help with the Go to URL option in WAP
    By saintiam in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
  5. sending files with the IR to the computer!!!
    By wilsont in forum Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 10:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks