Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NY Times -- "A Maverick With the Might to Cut Prices (TM&Sprint Combo)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

NY Times -- "A Maverick With the Might to Cut Prices (TM&Sprint Combo)

GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Short term, absolutely. Long term? Not a chance. If you go from 4 to 3 you lose the bottom feeder and thus the need to keep prices in check. That 5g investment is going to be paid back from users.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I feel the merger has a 70% chance of being approved. Without the merger Sprint will first go Chapter 11 then out of business ot sell off spectrum then maybe turn into a small regional network like US Cellular if they deal is killed. Sprint has been giving away free service for a year and discounted service to $15 just to attract new customers which won't pay the interest on their massive debt. Sprint needs to increase prices drastically for service without the merger just to stay in business with all that debt. Softbank isn't going to keep throwing good money after bad in Sprint. Softbank also is having to leverage their investments to get new loans for operating cash and has a covenant with the Japanese banks to stop increasing their position in Sprint. Anyone that thinks Sprint can survive without this merger is clueless.

No one has shown any interest in buying Sprint but T-Mobile since the only thing Sprint has in value if their spectrum and customers. Spectrum and customers would only help a cell network company like T-Mobile, AT&T or Verizon. If you can't get a merger with Sprint and T-Mobile there is no chance with getting a merger with AT&T or Verizon. Sprint is dead man walking without this merger with T-Mobile.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-01-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    Maybe at first but I can already get a line for cheaper on att and Verizon now

I think we will end up with 3 carriers with basically the same price

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Even after the merger, t-mobile will have far fewer subscribers than the big two so there's incentive for t-mobile to compete to steal customers. I think that competition will increase provided t-mobile keeps its promises of better rural coverage and fixed wireless.

At least on fixed wireless with 5G, t-mobile again has incentives to invest because they have little to no presence outside of wireless consumer service. At&t will aggressively go after govt and commercial with their first net roll out. t-mobile has already inked 5G infrastructure deals worth billions.

As competition heats up, t-mobile has no choice but to build out rural coverage as it will remain the differentiation.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Eh prices aren't going to drop by losing a major player. If anything, maybe we will finally see some competition in the home broadband space (where comcast and a few others have a stranglehold on the markets). That is what I am interested in, because wireless prices have steadily rose the past few years. I do not see that changing with a huge merger and next gen network buildout.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Without the merger Sprint will first go Chapter 11 then out of business Sprint is dead man walking without this merger with T-Mobile.
    Unfortunately for you, they actually have to release quarterly earnings reports every 3 months. They actually just released one this morning. Let's see....176 million profit....over 8 billion in revenue, postpaid phone arpu of over $49 (which kills the whole "they give away free service" gimmick people use. That arpu will likely be higher than tmobiles) EBITDA of 3.3 billion (their highest in 11 years). Yea, got no chance of survival. In reality TMobile needs sprint much more than sprint actually needs TMobile.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Unfortunately for you, they actually have to release quarterly earnings reports every 3 months. They actually just released one this morning. Let's see....176 million profit....over 8 billion in revenue, postpaid phone arpu of over $49 (which kills the whole "they give away free service" gimmick people use. That arpu will likely be higher than tmobiles) EBITDA of 3.3 billion (their highest in 11 years). Yea, got no chance of survival. In reality TMobile needs sprint much more than sprint actually needs TMobile.
    Those are the recent sprint numbers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Those are the recent sprint numbers?
    Yea they reported before the market opened today. TMobile reports when the market closes.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Yea they reported before the market opened today. TMobile reports when the market closes.
    Sprint did better than I expected.

Feedback Score
    Sprint did better than I expected.
    They added 123,000 postpaid account, 87,000 were postpaid phone adds, 3,000 prepaid adds but prepaid churn dropped to it's lowest levels in 3 years. Postpaid churn dropped. Postpaid service revenue grew sequentially for the first time in 4 years, postpaid arpu grew sequentially for the first time in 5 years. It's the 3rd straight quarter with a net income and 10th straight quarter of operating income.

I've said this before, one of the reasons TMobile wants to merge with Sprint is to remove competition. Sprint is starting to get their footing on solid ground, that makes them dangerous to TMobile over at&t and Verizon, as Sprint can force TMobile to drive down their pricing. TMobile doesn't want to compete on that low end anymore, they only want to compete on the high end with Verizon and at&t, easiest way to do that is to get rid of sprint.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    They added 123,000 postpaid account, 87,000 were postpaid phone adds, 3,000 prepaid adds but prepaid churn dropped to it's lowest levels in 3 years. Postpaid churn dropped. Postpaid service revenue grew sequentially for the first time in 4 years, postpaid arpu grew sequentially for the first time in 5 years. It's the 3rd straight quarter with a net income and 10th straight quarter of operating income.

I've said this before, one of the reasons TMobile wants to merge with Sprint is to remove competition. Sprint is starting to get their footing on solid ground, that makes them dangerous to TMobile over at&t and Verizon, as Sprint can force TMobile to drive down their pricing. TMobile doesn't want to compete on that low end anymore, they only want to compete on the high end with Verizon and at&t, easiest way to do that is to get rid of sprint.
    Wonder what TMobile numbers will look like

Feedback Score
    Wonder what TMobile numbers will look like
    Probably about the same as last quarter, I'd say 800,000 postpaid adds, 600,000 of them phone adds. 150,000 prepaid adds. Little over 10 billion in revenue. Postpaid churn of around 1.05%. Those are my guesses. Q2 (q1 for sprint) are generally the slowest quarters of the year.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Eh prices aren't going to drop by losing a major player. If anything, maybe we will finally see some competition in the home broadband space (where comcast and a few others have a stranglehold on the markets). That is what I am interested in, because wireless prices have steadily rose the past few years. I do not see that changing with a huge merger and next gen network buildout.
    Prices will go up without a merger. Sprint and T-Mobile combined can save 25 thousand redundant cell towers as they move from 110,000 total combined towers to just 85,000. Everything turns up a cost saving with a merger from TV Advertisement, tower leases, backhaul and electric cost, new equipment and far less network maintenance. Big saving in not having to buy as much new spectrum at FCC Auctions.

Sprint is going out of business or selling off their spectrum that is leveraged in loans. Sprint needs billions of dollars just to get VoLTE nations wide since Verizon is dropping CDMA in 2019. Sprint has to move to 5G NR but they can't take on more debt. Softbank is also hurting loaded with debt ($147 billion dollars US) from all their acquisitions and leveraging their assets to get $8B loan from banks. Softbank shopped Sprint all over and no one else wants it. The only place left for Sprint is to start selling off their spectrum that is already leveraged against their debt. Without Verizon's CDMA Sprint is dropping back to a much smaller company.

There are far more reasons to raise prices for both Sprint and T-Mobile as separate companies than as a combined merged company.

SoftBank Borrows $8 Billion Backed by Alibaba Holding

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast