Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are there still places where AT&T is 3G UMTS only?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    We heard it first here!

Thanks for sharing this info.
    Yeah it was in this article a bit earlier this year:

http://sageplan.com/3g-sunset-on-the-horizon/

If I remember correctly, another member on here had stated that timeline as well on a different thread a while back. Someone that has first hand knowledge And it's not me

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I tested my AT&T prepaid line today here in SoCal.

Driving up the 15 FWY (northbound) @ HWY 138 my iPhone X dropped to HSPA.

I'm not sure if the site has been upgraded to LTE and my phone just isn't picking it up or if there are no plans to upgrade it. It's one of the few holdouts.

Attachment 159075

Wrightwood, CA: AT&T's website shows solid LTE but my iPhone X dropped to HSPA in town along HWY 2 all the way to Mountain High Ski Resort even after toggling airplane mode.

Attachment 159076
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I think AT&T is starting to run a bare bones skeleton UMTS\HSPA as they refarm that spectrum over to LTE. Iím assuming this is not the case in 3G only areas, but wherever they have LTE deployed 3G coverage has been reduced.
    Yeah, I agree. T-Mobile still seems to have a pretty strong HSPA network in my area. Sometimes, the 3G is faster than the LTE! Recently I was able to get 8Mbps+ down on HSPA at my house using my 3 UK sim, which can only roam on 3G HSPA or lower. Pretty good speeds for just HSPA and not +!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I tested my AT&T prepaid line today here in SoCal.

Driving up the 15 FWY (northbound) @ HWY 138 my iPhone X dropped to HSPA.

I'm not sure if the site has been upgraded to LTE and my phone just isn't picking it up or if there are no plans to upgrade it. It's one of the few holdouts.

Attachment 159075

Wrightwood, CA: AT&T's website shows solid LTE but my iPhone X dropped to HSPA in town along HWY 2 all the way to Mountain High Ski Resort even after toggling airplane mode.

Attachment 159076
    Did you get any Speedtests? How did the HSPA compare to HSPA+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Did you get any Speedtests? How did the HSPA compare to HSPA+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't do any speedtests this time. Just driving through taking pics.

I never checked for H or H+. Just saw the 4G moniker. Coverage was great however all the way to Jackson Lake.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I didn't do any speedtests this time. Just driving through taking pics.

I never checked for H or H+. Coverage was great however.
    Good to hear. Thatís one of the things I miss from switching my main line to Verizon from AT&T: the H+ fallback. Verizon 3G is pretty much unusable most of the time.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Are there still places where AT&T is 3G UMTS only?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    The HSPA network here in Vermont seems to still be going strong, some high traffic towers are definitely losing PCS UMTS in order to have LTE 15x15 where need be, this is the max amount of B2 they own in my area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    AT&T has refarmed a lot of B5 in Florida. Iím hoping they start doing this here in CT.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Lot of Colorado is 3G HSPA only. In fact thereís 1+ hour highway stretches I keep coming across that are either no service or only 3G reaches.
    One was by accident yesterday when I took a different route, and for 55+ miles 3G was the ONLY signal, sometimes no service at all.
    Normally was a weak 1-3 bar 3G signal, good enough for data like GPS, Siri was fast to respond, calls and texts seemed to be more reliable then even LTE actually.

LTE definitely isnít ready for quite some time. Without the fallback to 4G HSPA + or 3G HSPA, AT&Tís LTE network would be on par with Sprintís LTE network and below T-Mobileís, at least here in Colorado.
    Iím really surprised that doing a 100 mile drive down highway 24, Sensorly shows T-Mobile has LTE signal the ENTIRE DRIVE! While AT&T struggles to even pick up 4G or 3G, sometimes no service period. Same with quite a few highways that connect into more rural areas.
    Worst part is once I finally get LTE... it doesnít work in a couple towns! It shows LTE but wonít connect to anything, been that way for months. Itís either congested to hell or their towers are screwed and they arenít fixing it. Confirmed it with others on AT&T and they canít load anything data related almost anywhere in town or any of the nearby towns within a 45 mile radius on LTE! Itís weird. How can LTE be that bad?? I have reported it over 100 times all over via mark the spot app, and constantly reach my ďdaily limitĒ.
    Have to force LTE off to use data all the time, which luckily their HSPA/HSPA+ fallback is solid and more reliable (in my experience) than LTE.
    I drop calls way too often on LTE, which wasnít the case before a couple ago using LTE.
    Before LTE came out, 3G and 4G calls where ultra reliable - oddly 3G has been the most reliable in all my testing, over hundreds of miles. Normally with 1 bar of weak 4G I cannot make ongoing calls or texts, but with 1 bar of weak 3G in the mountains I often can make calls and text perfectly fine.
    As for LTE, Before it would actually hold a VoLTE call really strong, even in weak signal areas. Now, now in 2018 where majority of people on AT&T have LTE, well, the reliability has suffered in in multiple areas near me.

Sooo... IMO, regular 3G HSPA = better than LTE. At least for me when Iím driving down highway roads in Colorado, and the ONLY signal that can reach me is a faint weak 1 bar 3G signal - and it works to make phone calls and such.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    In the same line of discussion: Is VoLTE operational across all LTE cell sites for those in the know?
    Yes, it is.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    Lot of Colorado is 3G HSPA only. In fact thereís 1+ hour highway stretches I keep coming across that are either no service or only 3G reaches.
    One was by accident yesterday when I took a different route, and for 55+ miles 3G was the ONLY signal, sometimes no service at all.
    Normally was a weak 1-3 bar 3G signal, good enough for data like GPS, Siri was fast to respond, calls and texts seemed to be more reliable then even LTE actually.

LTE definitely isnít ready for quite some time. Without the fallback to 4G HSPA + or 3G HSPA, AT&Tís LTE network would be on par with Sprintís LTE network and below T-Mobileís, at least here in Colorado.
    Iím really surprised that doing a 100 mile drive down highway 24, Sensorly shows T-Mobile has LTE signal the ENTIRE DRIVE! While AT&T struggles to even pick up 4G or 3G, sometimes no service period. Same with quite a few highways that connect into more rural areas.
    Worst part is once I finally get LTE... it doesnít work in a couple towns! It shows LTE but wonít connect to anything, been that way for months. Itís either congested to hell or their towers are screwed and they arenít fixing it. Confirmed it with others on AT&T and they canít load anything data related almost anywhere in town or any of the nearby towns within a 45 mile radius on LTE! Itís weird. How can LTE be that bad?? I have reported it over 100 times all over via mark the spot app, and constantly reach my ďdaily limitĒ.
    Have to force LTE off to use data all the time, which luckily their HSPA/HSPA+ fallback is solid and more reliable (in my experience) than LTE.
    I drop calls way too often on LTE, which wasnít the case before a couple ago using LTE.
    Before LTE came out, 3G and 4G calls where ultra reliable - oddly 3G has been the most reliable in all my testing, over hundreds of miles. Normally with 1 bar of weak 4G I cannot make ongoing calls or texts, but with 1 bar of weak 3G in the mountains I often can make calls and text perfectly fine.
    As for LTE, Before it would actually hold a VoLTE call really strong, even in weak signal areas. Now, now in 2018 where majority of people on AT&T have LTE, well, the reliability has suffered in in multiple areas near me.

Sooo... IMO, regular 3G HSPA = better than LTE. At least for me when Iím driving down highway roads in Colorado, and the ONLY signal that can reach me is a faint weak 1 bar 3G signal - and it works to make phone calls and such.
    Regular 3G has been very reliable and fast for me too! (In terms of 3G)

I wonder if itís because everyone is either using HSPA+ or LTE, so we pretty much have HSPA to ourselves? Iím not too sure if it works like that or not...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Regular 3G has been very reliable and fast for me too! (In terms of 3G)

I wonder if itís because everyone is either using HSPA+ or LTE, so we pretty much have HSPA to ourselves? Iím not too sure if it works like that or not...
    Yeah, it definitely does. At least it should. Thereís a lot less traffic on the regular 3G network since most people are on 4G LTE.
    But then again most sites have probably reduced the ďpowerĒ of HSPA to make LTE faster. I forgot the term used. Refarming or something? But yeah, even $20 prepaid phones at Walmart run on LTE now... Only flip phones and really old phones run on 3G HSPA, so there is hardly any traffic on it. Sadly though I believe AT&T did cut HSPA speeds in half or so to make LTE faster, but where I am LTE either sucks, is too congested, or doesnít exist in any direction for 90 miles..

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing this info about shutting down 3G services by the year 2021.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Yes, it is.
    You mean they finally upgraded the long awaiting San Louis Obispo / Santa Barbara coast area in Cali to VoLTE?!

Feedback Score
    Att still has some 3g but it's getting less and less

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    We still have plenty of spots in South western New Hampshire where LTE theoretically will reach the phone but phone resort's to UMTS as well as a handful of towns that are HSPA+ exclusive.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast