Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are there still places where AT&T is 3G UMTS only?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Are there still places where AT&T is 3G UMTS only?

I was wondering if there's any places in the US where the AT&T UMTS network hasn't been upgraded to "4G" HSPA+, or has the whole 3G network been upgraded?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    I was wondering if there's any places in the US where the AT&T UMTS network hasn't been upgraded to "4G" HSPA+, or has the whole 3G network been upgraded?
    Yes, the AT&T coverage map shows several large 3G areas. They appear to be mostly in more remote areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Yes, the AT&T coverage map shows several large 3G areas. They appear to be mostly in more remote areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got it, thank you! Do you think AT&T will be able to cover all those 3G and "4G" only locations with LTE before they go LTE only?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In the same line of discussion: Is VoLTE operational across all LTE cell sites for those in the know?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Got it, thank you! Do you think AT&T will be able to cover all those 3G and "4G" only locations with LTE before they go LTE only?
    Yes, I am sure these locations will have LTE before AT&T goes "LTE only" which will not be for several years still.

Another significant area that is 3G-only is the "Panhandle" area of Nebraska. 20 (IIRC) sites, all 3G. Unlike the sites in central and southern Nebraska which show up on-air as AT&T but are really run by a Commnet subsidiary using AT&T leased spectrum, these Panhandle sites are native 850 MHz AT&T. The Firstnet coverage map shows that some of these have been upgraded to LTE but that's not really the case.

There are also still a small handful of 3G-only sites that I know of in the St. Louis metro area. None where the 3G is the only coverage, but some places where you might either get 1-2 bars LTE or 5 bars 3G. One such place is on I-70 just west of airport terminal #1.

Maine also has quite a few towers that only broadcast UMTS/HSPA and not LTE. Same for eastern Oregon.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    How will this work for AT&T based carriers like Truphone?
    I have a Lumia 640 XL international version which unfortunately doesn't have 4GLTE.
    Originally I got it to use with my T-Mobile prepaid line and after T-Mobile shut down whatever frequency that works with T-Mobile in my area August 15th last year it became very painful to use. Oakland County Michigan.

I'd gotten a notice from T-Mobile saying that I should upgrade my phone to keep using it on T-Mobile.

I tried using it on T-Mobile for a few days after August 15th and it was awful.

I have a Truphone line so I stuck the SIM in the Lumia 640 XL and it's working fine.

But with all of the shut downs in the future with AT&T going full LTE at some point how much longer can I expect to be able to keep using my Truphone SIM in my Lumia 640 XL since it isn't AT&T but running on AT&T?

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    How will this work for AT&T based carriers like Truphone?
    I have a Lumia 640 XL international version which unfortunately doesn't have 4GLTE.
    Originally I got it to use with my T-Mobile prepaid line and after T-Mobile shut down whatever frequency that works with T-Mobile in my area August 15th last year it became very painful to use. Oakland County Michigan.

I'd gotten a notice from T-Mobile saying that I should upgrade my phone to keep using it on T-Mobile.

I tried using it on T-Mobile for a few days after August 15th and it was awful.

I have a Truphone line so I stuck the SIM in the Lumia 640 XL and it's working fine.

But with all of the shut downs in the future with AT&T going full LTE at some point how much longer can I expect to be able to keep using my Truphone SIM in my Lumia 640 XL since it isn't AT&T but running on AT&T?

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2
    Any shutdown on AT&T is far enough out that I doubt most current phones will still be active then.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    Any shutdown on AT&T is far enough out that I doubt most current phones will still be active then.
    The writing is on the wall since T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and AT&T are taking unique steps start the phase out EVDO/UMTS technogoies. One sign that I have noticed with AT&T is that they completely got rid of PCS HSPA and have ran on a single 850 UMTS channel in my home region leaving a weak, slow and poor audio quality UMTS network in place for the past 2-3 years.

https://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/bl...-united-states

They have started rejecting 3G only devices a year ago, along with a weak UMTS network, it's only a matter of several more years before they replace UMTS with LTE and 5G. I'm guessing AT&T will shutdown the UMTS network in the early 2020s given that Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile will be doing the same for consumers around the same time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    Yep. No new activations on 3G only devices after the end of this year and the 3G shutdown is targeted for the end of 2021, which isn't that far away. Of course that is subject to change.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    The writing is on the wall since T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and AT&T are taking unique steps start the phase out EVDO/UMTS technogoies. One sign that I have noticed with AT&T is that they completely got rid of PCS HSPA and have ran on a single 850 UMTS channel in my home region leaving a weak, slow and poor audio quality UMTS network in place for the past 2-3 years.

https://www.wirelessdesignmag.com/bl...-united-states

They have started rejecting 3G only devices a year ago, along with a weak UMTS network, it's only a matter of several more years before they replace UMTS with LTE and 5G.
    Oh....I didn't know they started rejecting 3G only devices.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Yep. No new activations on 3G only devices after the end of this year and the 3G shutdown is targeted for the end of 2021, which isn't that far away. Of course that is subject to change.
    Oh, I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the update!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    We heard it first here!

Thanks for sharing this info.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think AT&T is starting to run a bare bones skeleton UMTS\HSPA as they refarm that spectrum over to LTE. I’m assuming this is not the case in 3G only areas, but wherever they have LTE deployed 3G coverage has been reduced.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Hard to say since your MVNO may decide turn off service for those on 3G only devices significantly earlier than what AT&T decides. Ultimately, it will be up to the MVNO to decide to cut service off, not AT&T. The shutdown schedules will likely be different so I wouldn't rely too much on when AT&T decides shutdown their UMTS network.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I think AT&T is starting to run a bare bones skeleton UMTS\HSPA as they refarm that spectrum over to LTE. I’m assuming this is not the case in 3G only areas, but wherever they have LTE deployed 3G coverage has been reduced.
    The HSPA network here in Vermont seems to still be going strong, some high traffic towers are definitely losing PCS UMTS in order to have LTE 15x15 where need be, this is the max amount of B2 they own in my area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast