Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Sprint Expansions (Shentel Market) July 2018

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

More Sprint Expansions (Shentel Market) July 2018

Looks like Sprint/Shentel is still planning to add more coverage in West Virginia and Virginia this year even though the approval of the T-Mobile-Sprint merger is still pending. They cover this area almost as well as AT&T which is #1 in WV. plus they have better coverage in WV compared to Verizon and has pretty much overbuilt U.S. Cellular's mid-atlantic market. For those not familiar with Shentel they are a Cable/Internet provider in most of VA, WV, and parts of PA, MD, KY, OH, and NC and is also an affiliate of Sprint that has a history of massive expansions in their market.

Image #1: Current/Future Sprint Coverage
    Image #2: Shentel Market Area
    Image #3: Sprint Coverage as of July 25, 2018 (Native Sprint Coverage only)
    Image #4: Sprint Coverage as of July 25, 2018 (Sensorly)

This is with Band 25, 26, and 41

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. This does look good. I think Shentel has done good things in this market to make this probably one of Sprint's best states even when compared to other providers. I have noticed the changes to their coverage map recently. An odd thing is though my USCC phone never roamed on Sprint at all when I was in Wyoming and McDowell counties a couple weeks ago. I don't know if its using frequencies my phone can't use or if it hasn't been configured for me to roam on of if they may be lying and showing a future map on the current one. I would like to see that future map be a reality though. Even as it is now I would rather be on Sprint than USCC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When i lived in WV I was amazed to see how fast Sprint/Shentel added coverage in areas back there where even AT&T didn't work too good. Particularly a few remote areas in Greenbrier Co. in the higher terrain. Course Sprint here in NC is a joke. I even mapped Sprint in those areas back there with Cellmapper with Band 25/26. Greenbrier doesn't have Band 41. But it's still impressive.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    When i lived in WV I was amazed to see how fast Sprint/Shentel added coverage in areas back there where even AT&T didn't work too good. Particularly a few remote areas in Greenbrier Co. in the higher terrain. Course Sprint here in NC is a joke. I even mapped Sprint in those areas back there with Cellmapper with Band 25/26. Greenbrier doesn't have Band 41. But it's still impressive.

Yes it is impressive. Where I'm typing this now, Sprint and AT&T are the only providers that really have a good signal. US Cellular and Verizon do have signal, but a weak signal that with my US Cellular phone I often roam with Sprint on which it is doing right now as I type this. I'm glad to see all this happen. It's also nice that Sprint seems to have a better signal in my town. AT&T works ok but seems to have a few areas where the signal gets pretty weak in the middle of town. Sprint on the other hand seems to maintain a stronger signal when in town. Out of town seems also to have a better signal than my US Cellular most of the time. It's hard for me to speak about AT&T in those areas though. I do know Verizon seems to be overall the worst both in and out of town amongst the 4 providers in my area. I live around Beckley.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great news! Glad to see Sprint continue to expand coverage regardless of merger status.

Does anyone know why there is such an emphasis on West Virginia whereas Verizon for example doesn't put much resources into this area?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yes it is impressive. Where I'm typing this now, Sprint and AT&T are the only providers that really have a good signal. US Cellular and Verizon do have signal, but a weak signal that with my US Cellular phone I often roam with Sprint on which it is doing right now as I type this. I'm glad to see all this happen. It's also nice that Sprint seems to have a better signal in my town. AT&T works ok but seems to have a few areas where the signal gets pretty weak in the middle of town. Sprint on the other hand seems to maintain a stronger signal when in town. Out of town seems also to have a better signal than my US Cellular most of the time. It's hard for me to speak about AT&T in those areas though. I do know Verizon seems to be overall the worst both in and out of town amongst the 4 providers in my area. I live around Beckley.

I lived in Beckley about 5 years ago. Left USCC for Verizon because USCC would continusly lose service in my apartment and Verizon had the best service there. When I left there I switched to Sprint around the time nTelos merged with Shentel because Verizon roamed on USCC 1x where I was and was basically useless and AT&T at the time was EDGE only.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I lived in Beckley about 5 years ago. Left USCC for Verizon because USCC would continusly lose service in my apartment and Verizon had the best service there. When I left there I switched to Sprint around the time nTelos merged with Shentel because Verizon roamed on USCC 1x where I was and was basically useless and AT&T at the time was EDGE only.

Yeah. I had no idea there was ever a place in Beckley where Verizon actually had the best service. There still seem to be a lot of places where Verizon roams on USCC even not far from Beckley. I would much rather be with Sprint or AT&T over my USCC though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm kind of confused. Is Shentel a part of Sprint? Or do they share assets? Is it similar to Verizon's LTEiRA?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Great news! Glad to see Sprint continue to expand coverage regardless of merger status.
    Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that any coverage expansions that were planned before the merger announcement but haven't been started yet have been scrapped. Just a hunch. Nothing to back it up.
    Sprint user since 1997

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    I'm kind of confused. Is Shentel a part of Sprint? Or do they share assets? Is it similar to Verizon's LTEiRA?
    Shentel is it's own company. We had a local carrier called nTelos, Sprint worked off their towers in this area to sell and facilitate service to their customers here. Shentel is based in Virginia and they provide telecom services like TV, cellular and home phone, nTelos covered part of Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. A couple years ago Shentel purchased nTelos and converted it to a Sprint service area. Shentel owns and maintains the towers and all the technical parts, Sprint pays Shentel a sum to basically manage the Sprint service in this region. I'm not sure how much they are paid, and I'm not sure why Sprint themselves didn't try to purchase nTelos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrunyon41722 View Post
    Shentel is it's own company. We had a local carrier called nTelos, Sprint worked off their towers in this area to sell and facilitate service to their customers here. Shentel is based in Virginia and they provide telecom services like TV, cellular and home phone, nTelos covered part of Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. A couple years ago Shentel purchased nTelos and converted it to a Sprint service area. Shentel owns and maintains the towers and all the technical parts, Sprint pays Shentel a sum to basically manage the Sprint service in this region. I'm not sure how much they are paid, and I'm not sure why Sprint themselves didn't try to purchase nTelos.

Thanks for the info. Does Shentel also have cellular plans for their own customers, or are the Shentel/nTelos towers only for Sprint users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Does Shentel also have cellular plans for their own customers, or are the Shentel/nTelos towers only for Sprint users?

On that I am not sure because I am in the Kentucky coverage area and where they were based in Virginia I had never heard of them until they began the acquisition of nTelos. nTelos Wireless is no more, it was closed once all their customers were migrated to Sprint. So now everything that was nTelos is branded as Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    Yeah. I had no idea there was ever a place in Beckley where Verizon actually had the best service. There still seem to be a lot of places where Verizon roams on USCC even not far from Beckley. I would much rather be with Sprint or AT&T over my USCC though.

Yeah I lived on Dry Hill Rd and Verizon had a tower at the Tamarack. I usually had between 3 to 4 bars of LTE. Plus I wasn't far from the Verizon store. US Cellular would continusly lose service there and would occasionally roam.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score

More Sprint Expansions (Shentel Market) July 2018

Yeah I lived on Dry Hill Rd and Verizon had a tower at the Tamarack. I usually had between 3 to 4 bars of LTE. Plus I wasn't far from the Verizon store. US Cellular would continusly lose service there and would occasionally roam.

Oh. So that must be why my US Cellular sucks down where I’m at then. Thank you for telling me that. I think US Cellular seems to be on that tower too now. However there is still a spot on Dry Hill Road where I lose LTE so it may not be facing all directions. I bet Verizon has higher up antennas so they get a little bit more range since it seems like they were on it before US Cellular. I remember it seemed like their service was worse before down here than it is now back before I even had them. For some reason Verizon is able to hang onto a band 13 signal where I’m at even though their CDMA seems to work even worse than my US Cellular since their CDMA is on PCS only. US Cellular does not pick up LTE in the house hardly at all and struggles to hang onto it outside. Even US Cellular's CDMA though is so bad that I drop calls and miss calls because the phone never rang even though their CDMA is on 800 MHz. The only LTE I can get in the house is Sprint roaming which their phones now default to LTE roaming if native LTE is not available which goes against like a 400 MB high speed limit so I try to use it sparingly for when I do need it. It tries to default to T-Mobile here first I think but since they don’t exist here they use Sprint instead.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score

As far as I could tell Shentel runs Sprint Stores, etc...puts up Sprint Towers, Sells Sprint Plans....
    I often ran to the Shentel Store 45 minutes away even though i am not in Shentel territory and they can service a regular Sprint account just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast