Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So, what's the scam with the cheap discount 1st month eBay VZW Prepaid plans?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

So, what's the scam with the cheap discount 1st month eBay VZW Prepaid plans?

A lot of eBay sellers are offering really cheap "1st month only" Verizon Prepaid plans. For example, the $50 7GB plan for $15-20, like this auction here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-99-1st-M.../183299034361?

Are these dealers using their commissions to offset the plan cost? (Are prepaid commissions for Verizon that good?)

More importantly (to me!), would these discount plans count towards the $50 unlock ransom for my VZW Prepaid E4 Plus now that the $2 eBay unlock codes are no longer available? I assume the dealer is "paying" for a $50 refill (at his wholesale cost) and using the activation commission for profit. If Verizon counts the first month of the plan as a $50 payment, I should be able to unlock immediately, right?

I'm trying to find a cheap(er) unlock for this E4 Plus- I had unlocked it with an eBay $2 code, then the fingerprint reader went bad. I sent it in for repair, and Motorola replaced it with a new (locked) one. When I went trolling on eBay for a new unlock code for the new phone, I discovered they all had disappeared recently! If I knew that was going to happen, I'd have lived with the broken fingerprint reader!
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I bought one of those to test verizon prepaid and had no issues. Bought the $50 and paid like 17 I believe. When I received the sim i contacted them and they got it activated and showed on the verizon site as being the $50 plan.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    I bought one of those to test verizon prepaid and had no issues. Bought the $50 and paid like 17 I believe. When I received the sim i contacted them and they got it activated and showed on the verizon site as being the $50 plan.
    Thanks for the info. It seems like it's worth the $17 risk to get a "real" Verizon sanctioned unlock now that the $2 eBay unlocks have disappeared, replaced by those sketchy USB-over-Teamviewer unlocks for $20.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I used to buy these first month free Sims for many years. Coupled with Google voice I've saved thousands. No scam.

Sent from my H1711 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    I bought the $35 plan for $4.99 and it worked great. I only used it for a month and then let it lapse (bought it for my father before realizing that he had a year left on his Verizon post paid plan).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    I used to buy these first month free Sims for many years. Coupled with Google voice I've saved thousands. No scam.
    So switching sims every month for a year or more doesn't blacklist your account nowadays..or change your number?
    Will I keep my double data promo or not likely?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatlakesguy View Post
    So switching sims every month for a year or more doesn't blacklist your account nowadays..or change your number?
    I start a new plan every month. One month I could be on T-Mobile and the next port to cricket for a free phone, and next port to metro for a free phone etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I changed my SIM twice a month for over a year with no problems. VZW limits you to twice a month. No, it doesn't change your number.
    The only way you'll lose your double data promo is if you change your plan (or forget to make a payment on time).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I start a new plan every month. One month I could be on T-Mobile and the next port to cricket for a free phone, and next port to metro for a free phone etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You must have a lot of time on your hands

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    I changed my SIM twice a month for over a year with no problems. VZW limits you to twice a month. No, it doesn't change your number.
    The only way you'll lose your double data promo is if you change your plan (or forget to make a payment on time).
    Ok, so the new sim activation kits you were doing for a while is the same as this then. Good to know, thanks.

This sounds like a massive pain. Do you resell the old phones? How often does your number change... do you really find it's worthwhile? Seems like it would only take a few bad reps to make it a massive waste of time, but maybe you know how to navigate around some of that by now...

Quote Originally Posted by gigahurtz View Post
    Yeah, one has to wonder..12 companies per year...for 1 service? That hurts to even imagine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gigahurtz View Post
    You must think it takes a lot of time to switch Sims. It takes a few seconds.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a veteran on this topic...so maybe this has more merit than I thought it did.. doesn't it take 10-15 minutes, sometimes way longer on some of the mvno's, for the number to port?
    Assuming it doesn't take waiting time and an agent..
    Do you sync and re-load your entire contact book to each phone? Do the text messages show up as 1 whole convo or in multiple pieces? Do you re-download and re-sync all your apps and any of their saved information? Same with email accounts?
    Or do you activate and then get rid of the phone before needing to do any of that

Feedback Score
    I'm not a veteran on this topic...so maybe this has more merit than I thought it did.. doesn't it take 10-15 minutes, sometimes way longer on some of the mvno's, for the number to port?
    Assuming it doesn't take waiting time and an agent..
    Do you sync and re-load your entire contact book to each phone? Do the text messages show up as 1 whole convo or in multiple pieces? Do you re-download and re-sync all your apps and any of their saved information? Same with email accounts?
    Or do you activate and then get rid of the phone before needing to do any of that
    I'm not porting numbers most time. I'm just buying a prefundes sim from eBay. All.i have to do is message the seller and the line is activated. I will only port when some of the prepaid carriers have great deals for porting. Last time I ported was to get a free iPhone SE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

I know exactly how long it takes. I also know it takes time to research new options, order, make sure it arrives before the month finishes, contact seller for activation, etc.

I don’t have the time to be switching providers every month nor would it be beneficial to me. I would need to keep my number anyway and already use GV for a business number.

Feedback Score
    That's the very important thing really understand due to this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast