Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn off Visual Voicemail

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rabble58 View Post
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes.
    According to earlier posts on this thread there IS a way for Tracfone to turn it off and I have not found a chat agent who knows this. I just want to know how to get someone at Tracfone to take care of this.
    It is very important to me since I only use data when I absolutely have to and want to conserve as much as possible.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't TF cellular data cheaper than using minutes to check voicemail?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes. It is very important to me since I only use data when I absolutely have to and want to conserve as much as possible.
    Which is more important to you when it comes to waste (use), minutes or data?
    You only turn data on to download the message. You can see when the download is complete and turn data off.

I use 5 seconds of data to download the message. There is never any expense after the download.
    I use no minutes nor data to listen to a message of any length, as often as I want.
    You use talk minutes in whole 60 second chunks every time you want to listen to the automated voice plus the message.
    I can go directly to the message I want to hear, skipping any/all messages before it.

You appear to believe data KB/MB/GB are more expensive than whole talk minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But data is quite affordable now.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't TF cellular data cheaper than using minutes to check voicemail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Which is more important to you when it comes to waste (use), minutes or data?
    You only turn data on to download the message. You can see when the download is complete and turn data off.

I use 5 seconds of data to download the message. There is never any expense after the download.
    I use no minutes nor data to listen to a message of any length, as often as I want.
    You use talk minutes in whole 60 second chunks every time you want to listen to the automated voice plus the message.
    I can go directly to the message I want to hear, skipping any/all messages before it.

You appear to believe data KB/MB/GB are more expensive than whole talk minutes.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking when I made my comments. Thanks for verifying.

Perhaps rabble58 is stuck in the past, or isn't communicating their thought process clearly?

Feedback Score
    Perhaps rabble58 is stuck in the past, or isn't communicating their thought process clearly?
    There is still a lot of "dataphobia". You have a certain amount of control minimizing data use. I keep data on all the time, as there are some things I want in real time. MMS, VVM, weather forecasts, etc.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes.
    The data to download a voicemail for VVM is cheaper than the minutes to listen to a message.

And once downloaded replaying to get a number or understand something has no additional cost.

So in addition to the better interface it's more frugal.

That said, if you access VVM through the dialer you may be able to turn of VVM in the settings. I can in my unlocked phones (Moto E/G and Razer Phone 2).

Open dialer, 3 dots, settings, voicemail, toggle visual voicemail off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

That said, if you access VVM through the dialer you may be able to turn of VVM in the settings. I can in my unlocked phones (Moto E/G and Razer Phone 2).

Open dialer, 3 dots, settings, voicemail, toggle visual voicemail off.
    The stock Android dialer (like Motos often have) can have a toggle for VVM, but it seems phones with a separate VVM app may not. From what I read early on, having a separate app installed will lock out the Android dialer's VVM function. Many phones don't even use the stock Android dialer.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The stock Android dialer (like Motos often have) can have a toggle for VVM, but it seems phones with a separate VVM app may not. From what I read early on, having a separate app installed will lock out the Android dialer's VVM function. Many phones don't even use the stock Android dialer.
    Hence me starting with "if"

I'm really surprised that so many low budget phones are using extra apps instead of the native android options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I'm really surprised that so many low budget phones are using extra apps instead of the native android options.
    Not just budget phones have a special VVM, app. Verizon branded Android phones all have a Verizon specific one, as do other carrier branded phones.

I like that Motos stick with stock Android dialers, but other manufactures don't. It get's too complicated with the lack of a uniform standard.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not just budget phones have a special VVM, app.
    I understand higher end carrier devices (which I said nothing about) doing that. Maybe even mid range carrier branded stuff.

Just not the low budget stuff. Why spend the effort when stock Android covers it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When I turn on data, my phone uses about 5MB every day, without me doing anything data related. That comes to 1GB after 200 days, so that's an extra $10 every 200 days that I didn't need to spend. Is that unusual for a phone to eat data even when you don't do anything data related?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jzigzag44 View Post
    When I turn on data, my phone uses about 5MB every day, without me doing anything data related. That comes to 1GB after 200 days, so that's an extra $10 every 200 days that I didn't need to spend. Is that unusual for a phone to eat data even when you don't do anything data related?
    Some apps are going to use data, even with background data turned off. There is a list of app data usage from highest to lowest. 5 MB per day is not that much. I use 3X that amount, but choose to use data in real time for some things. You can turn data off, but that will make some things not work. It may not help much if you sometimes turn it back on, as some apps (like Google) will take advantage of available data during that time.

Visual Voicemail does use data to download the audio file, but not to play it once it's in your phone. This is cheaper than having to use voice minutes to access the Basic Voicemail system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jzigzag44 View Post
    Even if you have your PlayStore set to only download app updates over wifi when you allow, the Google Play Service will run a check to see what apps you have that may have an update available. You can't stop it from doing that whenever you turn data on or even over wifi. Or I don't know of a way. Even data saver on doesn't stop it.
    Sometime I turn my data or wifi on every week or 2 and that unstoppable Google Service may eat up to 30+ mb doing it's thing. Your 5mb a day sounds on par for something there's no control over. Most data users don't notice it, but someone on a PayGo or small data plan will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Even if you have your PlayStore set to only download app updates over wifi when you allow, the Google Play Service will run a check to see what apps you have that may have an update available. You can't stop it from doing that whenever you turn data on or even over wifi. Or I don't know of a way. Even data saver on doesn't stop it.
    Sometime I turn my data or wifi on every week or 2 and that unstoppable Google Service may eat up to 30+ mb doing it's thing. Your 5mb a day sounds on par for something there's no control over. Most data users don't notice it, but someone on a PayGo or small data plan will.
    Go to settings in the Play Store and turn off auto update.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Go to settings in the Play Store and turn off auto update.

Thx but Auto Update is off as I mentioned. If you always have data on or don't pay attention when you do, you may not notice Google Play Services doing this since it can be quick. I notice it because I only turn data or wifi on occasionally at which point it has more updates to search through and you'll notice the download icon working. Even with auto update off didn't you ever get the screen message "xx new updates available" ? That was Google Play Services doing it's thing.
    Unless I'm missing some setting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thx but Auto Update is off as I mentioned. If you always have data on or don't pay attention when you do, you may not notice Google Play Services doing this since it can be quick. I notice it because I only turn data or wifi on occasionally at which point it has more updates to search through and you'll notice the download icon working. Even with auto update off didn't you ever get the screen message "xx new updates available" ? That was Google Play Services doing it's thing.
    Unless I'm missing some setting.
    There are two different settings.

I have a bunch of apps that would update if I didn't have that turned off.
    These are the annoying apps that are baked into the phone and unfortunately can't be deleted or disabled.
    I check daily for the apps that I do use and click on them to update.
    My phones are almost always on WiFi but I do turn on data occasionally.
    I don't want to waste data updating unwanted apps.
    And I don't want to update them either.

In my settings the one for turning off auto update is right under the one where you can chose how you want to update your apps.
    Whether you want to use WiFi or data etc.

Edit:: I can't add a screen shot to show you.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast