Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn off Visual Voicemail

Feedback Score

Turn off Visual Voicemail

Just upgraded to a TracFone LG Rebel 3(CDMA) and when I get a voicemail, I get a pop up for visual voicemail. I have the phones data turned off and visual voicemail requires data tp be on, so I'd like to just go back to the old voicemail system. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Bob

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfollett View Post
    Just upgraded to a TracFone LG Rebel 3(CDMA) and when I get a voicemail, I get a pop up for visual voicemail. I have the phones data turned off and visual voicemail requires data tp be on, so I'd like to just go back to the old voicemail system. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Bob
    The easiest might be to block the notification (long press on the notification and then silent/block it), when you're ready or forced to set it up, you can re-enable the notifications
    (Our) Phone History At-a-Glance:
    '08-on Tracfone (Vz) using:
    1. '19- : Vzw on Moto E5 (with unl talk $30)
    2. '17-'19 : BYOP(Vzw) on UsC Moto E4 + LG Rebel 3
    3. '16-'17 : BYOP(Vzw) on HTC Desire 526
    4. '14-'16 : Huawei Glory H868C
    5. '12-'14 : LG800g
    6. '08-'12 : Motorola W376g
    '05-'08 Verizon & Sprint used: Moto Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    '03-'05 Alltel & Cingular
    '01 AT&T

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @bfollett: Is this a prompt trying to get you to enroll or configure Visual Voicemail? Or is this a prompt happening as a result of you already "opting in" to VVM (like, maybe a text message)? Just asking because there's a bit of a mystery with people getting it that don't want it, and on TracFone once you have it it's difficult to get rid of.

Update: I just got a new device set up on TF's sister company Page Plus. The phone is an LG Fiesta 2, very similar to your Rebel 3. I called that line from another and left a voicemail. In the Notifications/Status area there is the usual o_o voicemail icon, but there's also a Notification message (visible either on the Lock Screen or by pulling down the Notification Shade) that says: "New voicemail: Please accept the Terms and Conditions if you would like to hear voicemails via Visual Voicemail". So that's probably it. I don't want it so I'm not going there, but I wonder how long that will continue to show. Maybe every voicemail?

Additional: I called the system voicemail ("1" or "*86") to listen to and clear the message. It doesn't appear to clear the o_o icon. I pulled the Notification Shade down and swiped away the VVM prompt and it took that icon with it. Will see what happens.

Also took a look at the Apps list, and found that the "Voicemail" app can't be disabled, so that's not nice!
    Last edited by whacker; 07-22-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfollett View Post
    Many have found lately their VM has been changed to Visual. Not sure, but it may be that if the network detects a VVM capable phone it will switch to it during activation. I just did a service transfer to a non-VVM phone and it remains Basic VM.

If you want Basic VM it is possible to switch it, but not easy. Takes a high skill level TF CSR that understands how. From what I have heard, when VVM is active you don't get the usual VM notification in the phone's Notification bar. The VVM app screen is now the notification. You can still use *86 to access VM.

Is it the need for data being on why you don't like VVM? Some phones turn on and off data as needed, and some don't. Same issue as MMS.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    From what I have heard, when VVM is active you don't get the usual VM notification in the phone's Notification bar. The VVM app screen is now the notification.
    I get the same icon on my phone. Just taking on it foes to the VVM app/page instead of dialing *86.

That was try on stock KK, custom stick based KK, stock LP, LOS 14.1 (N), and my tests with AOSP 15.1 (O).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is it the need for data being on why you don't like VVM? Some phones turn on and off data as needed, and some don't. Same issue as MMS.
    Yes I do not want to use data for voicemail. I have data turned off all the time except for the rare occasion when I want to run an app that requires it. I don't want that for voicemail. I guess I'll try the TracFone support route, but it sounds like I'm going to have to get lucky with who answers.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Well this turned out to be not that big a deal after all. I went to the TracFone website and did about a 2 minute online support chat and they had it turned off in just a couple minutes. Hope this thread helps others.

Bob

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for that report bfollett!

Either you scored an exceptionally knowledgeable support rep, or they have become more aware of this issue and have more fully informed CSRs overall.

I still don't know if my devices actually have VVM activated, or if I'm just being prompted to activate it. Don't get many voicemails so we'll have to wait and see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Thanks for that report bfollett!

Either you scored an exceptionally knowledgeable support rep, or they have become more aware of this issue and have more fully informed CSRs overall.

I still don't know if my devices actually have VVM activated, or if I'm just being prompted to activate it. Don't get many voicemails so we'll have to wait and see.
    I think it may be enough of a problem that a "fix" has filtered down to, at least, chat CSRs. I went on chat about a werk ago and requested VVM be changed to Basic voicemail. It took about 10 min. There is still some lame remnants of the Voice Mail app notifications and you can't disable or remove the app. But, at least, don't have to have Data turned on to get notifications of voicemail activity.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Not so much luck with chat..I get a text every time somebody leaves me a VM.. Text comes from //vzwvvm and shows the number of who called me.. I have to call VM to get the actual message.. Chat told me that TF does not offer voice mail and this was a function of my phone.. It is not a big issue with me, but this thread gave me some hope that TF might know what is going on now, but no such luck..

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    Not so much luck with chat..I get a text every time somebody leaves me a VM.. Text comes from //vzwvvm and shows the number of who called me.. I have to call VM to get the actual message.. Chat told me that TF does not offer voice mail and this was a function of my phone.. It is not a big issue with me, but this thread gave me some hope that TF might know what is going on now, but no such luck..

Yeah I believe that happens when you have VVM enabled on your account and don't have a VVM app on your phone.

Feedback Score
    Keep trying with CS, as some have got them to remove VVM. Not all phones have the VVM app and will get a text message notification for a voicemail if VVM is enabled in their account. Yes, TF does not provide voicemail which comes from the carriers.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have tried to get the verizon VVM app, but play store says it is not compatible with any of my devices, thinking that might either give me a way to turn it off or make it work..

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have tried to get the verizon VVM app, but play store says it is not compatible with any of my devices, thinking that might either give me a way to turn it off or make it work..

Feedback Score
    I do not see the Verizon VVM app on Play Store. Have a link? My assumption was it only came factory installed.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast