Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Results 151 to 159 of 159

Thread: Turn off Visual Voicemail

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,087
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rabble58 View Post
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes.
    According to earlier posts on this thread there IS a way for Tracfone to turn it off and I have not found a chat agent who knows this. I just want to know how to get someone at Tracfone to take care of this.
    It is very important to me since I only use data when I absolutely have to and want to conserve as much as possible.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't TF cellular data cheaper than using minutes to check voicemail?

  2. #152
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,808
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rabble58 View Post
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes. It is very important to me since I only use data when I absolutely have to and want to conserve as much as possible.
    Which is more important to you when it comes to waste (use), minutes or data?
    You only turn data on to download the message. You can see when the download is complete and turn data off.

    I use 5 seconds of data to download the message. There is never any expense after the download.
    I use no minutes nor data to listen to a message of any length, as often as I want.
    You use talk minutes in whole 60 second chunks every time you want to listen to the automated voice plus the message.
    I can go directly to the message I want to hear, skipping any/all messages before it.

    You appear to believe data KB/MB/GB are more expensive than whole talk minutes.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,087
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But data is quite affordable now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't TF cellular data cheaper than using minutes to check voicemail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Which is more important to you when it comes to waste (use), minutes or data?
    You only turn data on to download the message. You can see when the download is complete and turn data off.

    I use 5 seconds of data to download the message. There is never any expense after the download.
    I use no minutes nor data to listen to a message of any length, as often as I want.
    You use talk minutes in whole 60 second chunks every time you want to listen to the automated voice plus the message.
    I can go directly to the message I want to hear, skipping any/all messages before it.

    You appear to believe data KB/MB/GB are more expensive than whole talk minutes.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking when I made my comments. Thanks for verifying.

    Perhaps rabble58 is stuck in the past, or isn't communicating their thought process clearly?

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,900
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Perhaps rabble58 is stuck in the past, or isn't communicating their thought process clearly?
    There is still a lot of "dataphobia". You have a certain amount of control minimizing data use. I keep data on all the time, as there are some things I want in real time. MMS, VVM, weather forecasts, etc.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,481
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rabble58 View Post
    I never turn my data on unless I need internet service and there's no Wifi. I do not want to turn on data just to listen to Voicemail. It's a complete waste of my data minutes.
    The data to download a voicemail for VVM is cheaper than the minutes to listen to a message.

    And once downloaded replaying to get a number or understand something has no additional cost.

    So in addition to the better interface it's more frugal.

    That said, if you access VVM through the dialer you may be able to turn of VVM in the settings. I can in my unlocked phones (Moto E/G and Razer Phone 2).

    Open dialer, 3 dots, settings, voicemail, toggle visual voicemail off.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,900
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

    That said, if you access VVM through the dialer you may be able to turn of VVM in the settings. I can in my unlocked phones (Moto E/G and Razer Phone 2).

    Open dialer, 3 dots, settings, voicemail, toggle visual voicemail off.
    The stock Android dialer (like Motos often have) can have a toggle for VVM, but it seems phones with a separate VVM app may not. From what I read early on, having a separate app installed will lock out the Android dialer's VVM function. Many phones don't even use the stock Android dialer.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,481
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The stock Android dialer (like Motos often have) can have a toggle for VVM, but it seems phones with a separate VVM app may not. From what I read early on, having a separate app installed will lock out the Android dialer's VVM function. Many phones don't even use the stock Android dialer.
    Hence me starting with "if"

    I'm really surprised that so many low budget phones are using extra apps instead of the native android options.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,900
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I'm really surprised that so many low budget phones are using extra apps instead of the native android options.
    Not just budget phones have a special VVM, app. Verizon branded Android phones all have a Verizon specific one, as do other carrier branded phones.

    I like that Motos stick with stock Android dialers, but other manufactures don't. It get's too complicated with the lack of a uniform standard.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,481
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not just budget phones have a special VVM, app.
    I understand higher end carrier devices (which I said nothing about) doing that. Maybe even mid range carrier branded stuff.

    Just not the low budget stuff. Why spend the effort when stock Android covers it.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Similar Threads

  1. Straight Talk iPhone 4 Turn Off Visual Voicemail
    By IntegrityWebDev in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
  2. Can I turn off/disable voicemail,
    By razorboy in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
  4. vxxx turn off sms voicemail notification?
    By trethacker in forum Motorola
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
  5. a670 can't turn off loud voicemail notification
    By burtonman in forum Samsung
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 07:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks