Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Premium Streaming Throttled To 40 Mbps On Video ATM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @Checker79
    VPN is another option that doesn't have that limitation and while it's often cheaper it's not quite as convenient to use.

Verizon charges $10/mo per line for their premium streaming option while a VPN allowing 5 devices is under $8/mo.

However verizon's option "just works" while a VPN requires setup.
    You're suggesting method that violates Verizon's terms of service? But I get it. Verizon is mean and evil and greedy so that make it ok. Versus speaking with your wallet and switching carriers

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You're suggesting method that violates Verizon's terms of service? But I get it. Verizon is mean and evil and greedy so that make it ok. Versus speaking with your wallet and switching carriers
    1. Switching carriers is not a viable option for a lot of people, so don't deflect valid criticism by snidely telling people to switch.

2. If you could stop consistently siding with the giant corporation worth hundreds of billions of dollars over the little guy, that would be great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    1. Switching carriers is not a viable option for a lot of people, so don't deflect valid criticism by snidely telling people to switch.

2. If you could stop consistently siding with the giant corporation worth hundreds of billions of dollars over the little guy, that would be great.
    I mean to play devils advocate...giant Corp stock is prob a part of many many peoples 401k. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Organizations that are already powerful do not need "devil's advocates." The term you're looking for is a "shill."

Feedback Score
    Organizations that are already powerful do not need "devil's advocates." The term you're looking for is a "shill."
    I’m wasn’t trying to infer that Verizon is an amazing angle who is helping you and I...just that a lot of people depend on it being successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    @Jack Hagar
    AFAIK there is nothing in verizon's TOS that prohibits VPN use.

VPN has lots of other uses too it just so happens to also prevent them from seeing where your traffic is going which prevents their throttling mechanism from properly classifying it.

Maybe I just happen to value my privacy and am aware of verizon's consistent record of not respecting it even going as far as to alter my traffic in transit for the benefit of their advertisers without my consent? IDK.

That said I don't use one normally because 1. It tends to break things (mainly some services block VPN users like netflix and crunchyroll) and 2. The extra hop lowers performance of everything that's not throttled a bit.

I also don't pay verizon extra for their premium streaming option. I thought it would be annoying but 10Mbps seems like plenty most of the time although I do have problems with some twitch streams occasionally because a lot of them don't transcode to lower bitrates for whatever reason. It's also only video that's limited so everything else flies I can get few HTTP or FTP transfers going and hit 50Mbps+.

As for switching, to whom? AFAIK every major carrier is charging extra for HD video at this point on their unlimited plans even then you have other considerations like coverage and speed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon should allow video optimization to be disabled for free on tiered plans and non-Go unlimited plans, just like how AT&T allows Stream Saver to be disabled on all plans except their throttled unlimited plan.

It would be nice if we could reliably compel Verizon into pro-consumer behavior through our personal spending choices, but that is not the case. Our only remaining option is to shame and/or legally force them to stop their hostile policies.

Feedback Score
    Last I checked Verizon's tiered plans are exempt from both the video throttle and deprioritization. However users on these tiered plans would actually benefit from having the option to throttle their video considering they are paying a premium for their GBs which is probably why verizon doesn't offer the option.

You would think they would have followed AT&T and T-Mobile's handling of it. AT&T only forces stream saver on their base unlimited plan, on their premium unlimited plan stream saver is optional. T-Mobile includes hd video on their 2 highest unlimited offerings.
    Where as on verizon none of their plans include it it's a $10/mo standalone option. (IDK if you can add it to the Go plan)

But verizon isn't big on being consumer friendly everyone on the tiered plans is screwed pretty badly by things that only look nice at a glance like:
    The rollover option people begged for for years; Roll over data is used last meaning if you have 4GB of data and 4GB of roll over if you use 4GB of data you won't have any roll over next month! Despite having saved data from the month previous to use. Also they made it so you only get 1 month of rollover so you don't get to keep it any length of time.

Safety mode limits you to a paltry 128kbps when realistically it should be the same 600kbps hotspots are throttled to on the unlimited plans slow enough to still seriously suck but fast enough to be decently usable.

I highly doubt any of that will ever get better though they are going to intentionally leave things in such a state to push people to the even more profitable unlimited plans.

Edit: i's wrong VVivian is correct. Tiered plans are throttled too.
    Last edited by sims; 07-23-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    A) Netflix 4K tops out at 16 Mbps so 40 is fine

B) Fast.com sucks constantly innaccurate

try speeds at 30+Mbps !!!

and fast.com works just fine and its works alot better than speedtest.net which is odd but the truth

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is the word hostile really apt in this situation? We're talking about frickin video streaming here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Last I checked Verizon's tiered plans are exempt from both the video throttle and deprioritization.
    Verizon throttles video on all plans that do not pay extra for "premium streaming," even postpaid customers who purchase their gigabytes individually. It's a scam.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 6.29.45 PM.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  98.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Verizon throttles video on all plans that do not pay extra for "premium streaming," even postpaid customers who purchase their gigabytes individually. It's a scam.

I pay for premium streaming and fast.com is capped at 40 Mbps , still plenty fast enough for me. They did the last year for about a week then lifted it

Feedback Score
    I'll try and verify tonight but i'm not seeing it on my ME plan. IIUC phones are limited to ~4Mbps video, i'm seeing 9Mbps but the towers are crap and overloaded in town.

Course the ME plan isn't current it could just be exempt.

Edit:NVM I get a perfect 3.8Mbps at home on the better tower so I must have just forgotten to turn off wifi or something.
    Last edited by sims; 07-23-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score

It's still only the popular apps that get throttled. I see no throttling on most of the video apps I use. I'll hit 40+Mb/s speeds from some video apps on Verizon prepaid.

Feedback Score
    @VVivian
    Yes I fully agree.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast