Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Home Phone Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @loboheeler:

As I understand it, a fax machine does its thing digitally over an analog phone line by representing ones and zeros with two distinctly pitched (i.e analog) tones. Which is also how a dial-up modem works, just different protocols (undoubtedly more complicated an explanation than that, but this is the fundamental aspect)....
    Representing ones and zeros with two distinctly pitched (i.e analog) (Frequency Shift Keying) tones for fax transmission hasn't been used since the days of 300 bits-per-second modems - the 1960s?

Modern faxes use v.17 or v.34 for 14.4 Kbps and 33.6 Kbps. They use quadrature amplitude modulation and trellis coding. The result of which is that they sound like a hiss without any human-audible variation. The modems, between themselves, can detect the change in phase and amplitude that represents the data bits.

The result is the same. They are very much analog audio tones that have to go over an analog audio voice channel. The codecs used for cell voice can't reproduce the analog tones with sufficient fidelity at the far end for fax to work. This is the same reason that traditional cell voice audio doesn't sound great.

I don't know if fax would work over HD VoLTE. It might. Someone can try it when there is a VoLTE home phone service device.

Fax works fine through my Obi VOIP system. Fortunately, these days, most places will take a scanned image attachment to email.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, the ZTE Z723EL is a unique machine that is is in short supply. Wonder if it can run on the $15 cards?
    Yes, when I first looked at it many months ago (years?), and it was still available, it could be paired with the $15 cards. And that may be the reason it is no longer available - couldn't one simply take the SIM out, put it into a cellphone, and have unlimited talk for $15/mo?

Feedback Score
    I can now report that the older Straight Talk H226C (CDMA) home phone devices can no longer be activated or even re-activated on Straight Talk. Any attempt to do so is greeted with a pop-up stating that the carrier is upgrading the network and the device is not compatible.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wonder what is people going to do if they can't get an LTE box tho.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I'll have to switch mom to Consumer Cellular (GSM ) they still have a ZTE model

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/882/Details

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That might be a good option for people in AT&T areas. I know there might be a few people that is in Verizon only areas, and they want an option too.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Looks like I'll have to switch mom to Consumer Cellular (GSM ) they still have a ZTE model

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/882/Details
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    That might be a good option for people in AT&T areas. I know there might be a few people that is in Verizon only areas, and they want an option too.
    I mentioned this earlier but I have had great success with the Verizon Novatel T2000 (VoLTE service) activated on Selectel. Their plan on the Verizon network offers unlimited minutes for $17/month plus tax. In my state the total comes to about $18.70.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    I mentioned this earlier but I have had great success with the Verizon Novatel T2000 (VoLTE service) activated on Selectel. Their plan on the Verizon network offers unlimited minutes for $17/month plus tax. In my state the total comes to about $18.70.
    Yea, but I know there is older people that want a company that they know which the older people think brands in a store is trustworthy, and they can get cards from a store.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea, but I know there is older people that want a company that they know which the older people think brands in a store is trustworthy, and they can get cards from a store.
    I haven't experienced this. I support my 88 year old mother in law and she just wants it to work. You do have to use a debit or credit card--maybe that is the bigger issue. Anyway, my main reason for bringing it up again was that if people need a home phone kind of plan on a Verizon MVNO, this appears to be the only game in town at the moment.

Feedback Score
    I recently replace my mother's AT&T wireless home phone service with Consumer Cellular. A MUCH better experience, that's for sure! CC is great to deal with. The call quality is better as well. Mom has a 2nd home with Straight Talk. I may have to switch that to CC as well. I just wish we could have 2 phone numbers on one unit. So far, no can do.
    Get the best in Fitness Training with Fitness Professionals!
    www.TopFitnessStrategies.com

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    While browsing Walmart today, I found out they are coming out with a new home phone box. It was only the price tag tho.

I did find this too: https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=24998

Name:  20190715_145547.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  32.1 KB

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While browsing Walmart today, I found out they are coming out with a new home phone box. It was only the price tag tho.

The FCC report shows band 13 available on the device so we can speculate that Straight Talk is certifying it for Verizon. I also noticed it is a Korean product which avoids the trade issues with China.

Feedback Score

Name:  20190715_145547.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  32.1 KB
    I could not find it to buy at ST. They do appear to be selling the z723el again. I started checking out with on and it did not say, "Not in stock"

I found the FCC test report for the F800HPVL Franklin unit in the link above. It is described as a VoLTE Home Phone with LTE bands 4 and 13. 13 implies that it works with Verizon.

Anyone know if the F800HPVL works with Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    The FCC report shows band 13 available on the device so we can speculate that Straight Talk is certifying it for Verizon.
    I see B4/66 listed, but not B13. I never see B13 anymore on my cell service.
    https://fccid.io/XHG-F800HPVL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They do appear to be selling the z723el again. I started checking out with on and it did not say, "Not in stock"
    The ZTE still shows out of stock at Walmart.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast