Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Home Phone Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    The alarm connection is labeled for future update so I doubt it will work. I will check the faxing when I get a chance.
    Cool thanks. HP runs a good fax testing service if you want a simple way to test:
    "Send a one-page black and white text fax to 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). When the service receives your fax, a return confirmation fax is sent within five minutes. This verifies that you can both send and receive a fax."
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259105

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftInLoop View Post
    Cool thanks. HP runs a good fax testing service if you want a simple way to test:
    "Send a one-page black and white text fax to 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). When the service receives your fax, a return confirmation fax is sent within five minutes. This verifies that you can both send and receive a fax."
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259105
    I was not able to get fax working on the T2000. It dials, connects, and looks like it is working but the transmission fails--both incoming and outgoing. I have tried multiple speed and resolution settings. In my case I have a pretty weak LTE signal; it bounces between 1 and 2 bars. I have to use the external antenna to get phone service. As a phone device I have no issues with it and it will work just fine for the family member who needs it. The total monthly for unlimited minutes is $18.87. Selectel had no trouble activating it.

It is possible that fax would work with a stronger LTE signal. If I get a chance to test that theory, I will report back to this thread.

Feedback Score
    I was not able to get fax working on the T2000. It dials, connects, and looks like it is working but the transmission fails--both incoming and outgoing. I have tried multiple speed and resolution settings. In my case I have a pretty weak LTE signal; it bounces between 1 and 2 bars. I have to use the external antenna to get phone service. As a phone device I have no issues with it and it will work just fine for the family member who needs it. The total monthly for unlimited minutes is $18.87. Selectel had no trouble activating it. It is possible that fax would work with a stronger LTE signal. If I get a chance to test that theory, I will report back to this thread.
    it says the straight talk home phone service isn't compatible with fax machines or home alarm systems. - https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...alk/homephones

Feedback Score
    fax machines use analog modems and data compression schemes that are not compatible with digital cellular and voip lines.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    it says the straight talk home phone service isn't compatible with fax machines or home alarm systems. - https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...alk/homephones
    Quote Originally Posted by oax View Post
    fax machines use analog modems and data compression schemes that are not compatible with digital cellular and voip lines.
    You are misunderstanding. The device in use is a T2000 Home Phone Connect from Verizon which converts VoLTE to a standard analog telephone connection. The telephone part works exactly as advertised. The device also claims to be compatible with analog faxing. I was not able to get that part to work. Verizon claims that it will work.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-212440/

It is true that the devices formerly sold by Straight Talk made no claim to work with fax machines.

Regarding the comment about voip lines; I have frequently faxed successfully with a voip line and a standard analog fax machine.

Feedback Score
    The device in use is a T2000 Home Phone Connect from Verizon which converts VoLTE to a standard analog telephone connection. The telephone part works exactly as advertised. The device also claims to be compatible with analog faxing. I was not able to get that part to work. Verizon claims that it will work.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-212440/
    Fax machines have not been analog since 1980. They don't need the A-D and D-A conversion needed for conventional phone lines used with talk. Digital image scan-digital transmission-digital printing. Not sure how LTE handles this for Fax. Guessing it may not be through the VoLTE channel, but through an LTE data channel. Could be that Verizon does not provide that channel to the MVNOs.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Fax machines have not been analog since 1980. They don't need the A-D and D-A conversion needed for conventional phone lines used with talk. Digital image scan-digital transmission-digital printing. Not sure how LTE handles this for Fax. Guessing it may not be through the VoLTE channel, but through an LTE data channel. Could be that Verizon does not provide that channel to the MVNOs.
    See the section called "Faxing Over Phone Lines" in this article. It appears that while the Fax itself is digital, the transmission over POTS or POTS equivalents is analog.

https://www.faxburner.com/blog/are-f...tal-or-analog/

Feedback Score
    See the section called "Faxing Over Phone Lines" in this article. It appears that while the Fax itself is digital, the transmission over POTS or POTS equivalents is analog.

https://www.faxburner.com/blog/are-f...tal-or-analog/
    Hard to believe part of the fax signal path is analog, as that is the speed choke point.
    The article states the analog portion is using a POTS line, but that's not what we have with a cellular connection.
    This Verizon bulletin implies the fax signal with a wireless Home Phone is using the VoLTE channel.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-209392/

Feedback Score
    I just got back from Walmart. I went to buy a Straight Talk Home Phone Service box for my mother. The service guy told me Walmart discontinued those items. Does anyone know why?
    Get the best in Fitness Training with Fitness Professionals!
    www.TopFitnessStrategies.com

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @loboheeler:

As I understand it, a fax machine does its thing digitally over an analog phone line by representing ones and zeros with two distinctly pitched (i.e analog) tones. Which is also how a dial-up modem works, just different protocols (undoubtedly more complicated an explanation than that, but this is the fundamental aspect).

Trying to play analog pitches over the typical (pre-VoLTE) digital cellular connection is as much of a disaster as listening to background music over same. Digital (as implemented up until recently) screws with the audio (massively), which is critical in interpreting the pitch and duration of the tones.

As far as VoIP goes (say, over an ATA of some sort), there should be fewer obstacles, but that depends on what's happening digitally with various signalling techniques and whether TCP or UDP is in use. You can't error correct or fluff off lost binary in a fax bit stream like you can audio in a voice call and not notice it.

The signal path may be digital, but the fax send is using analog tones or pitches to represent digital information, and the receiving device is listening for its information in that format. If the digital method isn't good enough, stable enough, to provide a high enough fidelity, all bets are off.

There may be services that somehow recognize when a fax protocol is in use, and somehow do a special A to D encoding, sends it digitally, then decodes it D to A without carrying the fax bit stream tones the entire distance over a voice quality "circuit" or data transmission session (VoLTE or VoIP), but that's above my pay grade to speculate about.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotex21 View Post
    I just got back from Walmart. I went to buy a Straight Talk Home Phone Service box for my mother. The service guy told me Walmart discontinued those items. Does anyone know why?
    No one knows why. I have been trying to figure it out. If you are on Straight Talk with the older box, you might not have to worry from what I found out since it sounds like they are running those as M2M. We are still unsure tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotex21 View Post
    The Straight Talk home phone boxes ran on Verizon 3G, which they want to get rid of. Verizon also dropped their own 3G machines in favor of 4G service. They will support what you have for a while, but no new activations of 3G equipment. Seems like the Verizon service is the only thing available now that runs off the cellular network.

There are VoIP options, but they require you have high speed Internet.

Feedback Score
    The Straight Talk home phone boxes ran on Verizon 3G, which they want to get rid of. Verizon also dropped their own 3G machines in favor of 4G service. They will support what you have for a while, but no new activations of 3G equipment. Seems like the Verizon service is the only thing available now that runs off the cellular network.

AT&T Postpaid has an LTE phone and data device. I've been using it for a year. (And no, it doesn't work with fax machines. :-P )

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...net-black.html

Ting is selling a home phone device on closeout - Sprint network I presume.

Verizon prepaid, AT&T prepaid, Sprint all used to have them too. The AT&T devices I mentioned in post #40 are 3G and will work with your favorite AT&T MVNO and plan until 2022.

Edit: Consumer Cellular still carries one. $15 250 minutes or $20 unlimited. Not clear what network it uses or if LTE.

https://www.consumercellular.com/blo...your-landline/

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/882/Details
    Last edited by oax; 05-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just to clarify a bit, last year Straight Talk was selling the ZTE Z723EL which is a home phone device that runs on Verizon's LTE network. It is out of stock now but shows up occasionally on eBay for a totally outrageous price.

Feedback Score
    Just to clarify a bit, last year Straight Talk was selling the ZTE Z723EL which is a home phone device that runs on Verizon's LTE network. It is out of stock now but shows up occasionally on eBay for a totally outrageous price.
    Yes, the ZTE Z723EL is a unique machine that is is in short supply. Wonder if it can run on the $15 cards?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast