Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Home Phone Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    I think the key here is the BYOP SIM. Could you report on how reliable the T2000 is? The reviews are very mixed. Also do you have the external antenna? From Verizon the external antenna is an extra cost item.
    I do not have the external antenna, and it's been pretty reliable. We live in a suburban area with a very strong Verizon signal. We've been using the T2000 for about 10 months now, and there's only been a couple of times where a call went to voicemail (Google Voice) rather than ringing the phone. We know we weren't using the phone at the time. We've also had some problems with call quality, but attribute that to the V-tech cordless phone system with which we are using it. (We also have one standard wall phone hooked up, and switching to that resolves the call quality.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone company SIMs are locked to a device so I will be very surprised if it works in a T2000.
    Not so fast...........

I have two TCL A250DL nano sims in my iPhones so I can get VoLTE to work on them.

And I have a LG Sunrise GSM sim in a ZTE Z222 flip-phone for my mom.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone company SIMs are locked to a device so I will be very surprised if it works in a T2000.
    I don't think that is the case anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Not so fast...........

I have two TCL A250DL nano sims in my iPhones so I can get VoLTE to work on them.

And I have a LG Sunrise GSM sim in a ZTE Z222 flip-phone for my mom.
    Yea, I have used my SIM and my home phone SIM in my friend's old Motorola Turbo 2 which has a really bad battery and even an unlocked Motorola G4 Play with a SIM adapter, and both work just fine. I had VoLTE on the Motorola Turbo 2 but not with unlocked Motorola G4 Play. The unlocked Motorola G4 Play does not support Verizon's VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I don't think that is the case anymore.
    That is very good news. I'm glad to hear you can move the SIM to a different device now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was talking about this chat information elsewhere. Someone is thinking the Home Phone might be a M2M device, and they think Verizon is not shutting down the network for those devices yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was talking about this chat information elsewhere. Someone is thinking the Home Phone might be a M2M device, and they think Verizon is not shutting down the network for those devices yet.
    Hope this is true.

But if you look at the specs the Huawei says it's CDMA and the ZTE says LTE

I was looking at the T2000 mentioned above. ......but $99 and some are saying that they can't get it authorized

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    ... I was looking at the T2000 mentioned above. ......but $99 and some are saying that they can't get it authorized
    Unused T2000 units are going for less than $50 on eBay. Straight Talk won't authorize these on the $15/month plan but Selectel assures me they can and will on their $17/month plan. I will be getting one soon and will report my experience.

Feedback Score
    I am the someone who speculated about the actual network being used. M2M was chosen just because I am familiar with that type from what happened with the AT&T 2G shutdown in 2016. AT&T was going to shutdown all 2G, and not just the cell phone network portion.

So, there is a concern about the longevity of the Verizon network used for Home Phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I am the someone who speculated about the actual network being used. M2M was chosen just because I am familiar with that type from what happened with the AT&T 2G shutdown in 2016. AT&T was going to shutdown all 2G, and not just the cell phone network portion.

So, there is a concern about the longevity of the Verizon network used for Home Phone.
    Yea, I just did not want to say names unless I have to. I am still unsure with these older CDMA only home phone boxes.

Feedback Score
    For an AT&T network solution, consider the WF720 and WF721 devices. Plenty on eBay and Amazon. Difference between the two is only in the way they look. They are 3G and should be okay until 2022. I have an H2O paygo SIM in one I set up for a relative and it works fine. Should take any AT&T SIM (full size) for any provider (AT&T Prepaid, H2O, Tracfone, Straighttalk, etc.) Might be helpful to activate the SIM in a mobile phone - as they sometimes send important text messages during the setup - then move it over, but probably not required.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just tried to get a $15 Home Phone card from Walmart today. It was ringing up, but it kept on getting an activation error for some reason. So they asked me to go get a different card to see if it was same way, and it did the same way. No one in the store could figure out why it was doing that. The $35 cell phone card rang up and activated just fine that my dad bought basically at the same time.

So something is happening with the home phone cards in Walmart.

Feedback Score
    I've reported here earlier that I was able to take one of the older Straight Talk H226C home phone devices over to Tracfone as a byop in order to save money.

Well, I just tried to reactivate that device on Tracfone, and received the following pop-up:

Important Message!
    Our partners are upgrading their network to provide you with the highest quality service. Unfortunately, this phone is not compatible
    and can't be activated.

But don't worry, because we're offering you $40 off any phone purchase of $40.99 or more today! Just call us at 1-800-867-7183 to get
    your offer.

However, if I try to reactivate a different H226C on Straight Talk, I can apparently do so - I went as far as the step to enter credit card info to purchase airtime.

Feedback Score
    As an alternative I found out that you can activate the Novatel T2000 home phone device, which is what Verizon is selling now, on Selectel for $17/month unlimited minutes. This plan is not listed on Selectel's website but the CSRs know about it and know how to activate it. I just mention this for anyone who isn't able to find the Straight Talk ZTE Z723EL to replace their CDMA home phone device. I will be testing the T2000 soon and will report my impressions to this thread in a month or so.
    The T2000's owners manual talks about connecting a fax machine and alarm panel so I wonder how it supports those things on Verizen's network.
    the ZTE volte device has been rock solid for me but it does NOT support fax or any non-voice stuff like an alarm panel's modem. It doesn't even pass DTMF inbound.
    If non-voice stuff works over the T2000 I would definitely have to switch to it.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftInLoop View Post
    The T2000's owners manual talks about connecting a fax machine and alarm panel so I wonder how it supports those things on Verizen's network.
    the ZTE volte device has been rock solid for me but it does NOT support fax or any non-voice stuff like an alarm panel's modem. It doesn't even pass DTMF inbound.
    If non-voice stuff works over the T2000 I would definitely have to switch to it.
    The alarm connection is labeled for future update so I doubt it will work. I will check the faxing when I get a chance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have been wondering about the fax machine idea, but I have heard that the tones is not good on the phone boxes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast