Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Network No Longer a Laughing Stock

Device(s)
    Samsung X105
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sprint Network No Longer a Laughing Stock

Both the latest Ookla and OpenSignal ratings show that Sprint is in a virtual tie with AT&T in terms of download speeds and they have shown the greatest increase in network speeds. I predict they will overtake AT&T before the merger is finalized (assuming it is approved). Personally, I notice MUCH faster speeds in urban areas, but Sprint is still a laggard in the outer suburbs and rural areas. What do other people experience?

http://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/

Sprint has delivered the most improved download speeds over the past year. While still the slowest of the four major carriers, the gap between Sprint and AT&T has been closing. In some markets, Sprint customers are experiencing faster download speeds than those on any other carrier. This development is because Sprint committed between 40 MHz and 60 MHz of contiguous 2.5 GHz spectrum to LTE and the company expanded its use of carrier aggregation across a wider footprint.

https://opensignal.com/reports/2018/...mobile-network

Sprint's 4G gains continue
    Sprint has been making plenty of progress in our 4G metrics over the last year, and in this test period it managed to pull nearly even with AT&T in our 4G availability category. Sprint also came within 600 kbps of matching AT&T's 4G download speed of 15.1 Mbps in our measurements.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharmster View Post

Sprint has delivered the most improved download speeds over the past year.
    That’s what happens to a network without users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post

This would be true if sprint was actually losing users, the opposite is happening though. I know it doesn't support some public opinions people have but sprint has been gaining subscribers for a bit now, and are expected to post gains again when they report on the 30th.

Sprint has made substantial inprovments in their network over the last year. They should be commended on it, it's what everybody said they had to do. Again, it may not fit somes public opinions or agendas to admit such, but testing results and people's own personal results have shown they have improved. They still have areas where they need work, but it's much better to see an upward trend than a downward trend.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    This would be true if sprint was actually losing users, the opposite is happening though. I know it doesn't support some public opinions people have but sprint has been gaining subscribers for a bit now, and are expected to post gains again when they report on the 30th.

Sprint has made substantial inprovments in their network over the last year. They should be commended on it, it's what everybody said they had to do. Again, it may not fit somes public opinions or agendas to admit such, but testing results and people's own personal results have shown they have improved. They still have areas where they need work, but it's much better to see an upward trend than a downward trend.
    Yep. Everything I've read lately mentions that att will be the main carrier with losses. All speculation but insteresting about sprint and their improvements and projected gains from all that I read

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    It seems like Att has just given up in terms of building on their LTE network. Will be interesting to see if 5G helps att boast higher speeds. I remember when they used to be neck and neck with verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    It seems like Att has just given up in terms of building on their LTE network. Will be interesting to see if 5G helps att boast higher speeds. I remember when they used to be neck and neck with verizon.
    Wouldn't say that at all either. They are massively deploying band 14 right now. If anything all these reports show is that in the areas tested, all 4 networks provided sufficient lte coverage and speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post

I've seen reports that Sprint has prioritized downloads at the expense of uploads. The way they implement LTE means they can allocate more for download at uploads expense. And for people watching videos, etc, it helps.

You just can't go too unbalanced, or it hurts latency and download performance too.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Wouldn't say that at all either. They are massively deploying band 14 right now. If anything all these reports show is that in the areas tested, all 4 networks provided sufficient lte coverage and speeds.
    Definitely. Band 14 is spreading fast and should continue with their other bands also

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Again, it may not fit some public opinions or agendas to admit such,
    Of course not. There will still be those who haven't used Sprint in years who think they know better.
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    Samsung X105
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I get anywhere from 10mbs to 30mbs download speeds at home in my condo. At work, it is much worse, from 2mbs to 8mbs. Still, for $80 a month for two lines of unlimited, I am not complaining. In addition, Sprint Flex Lease is the best for me because I like to upgrade annually. T-Mobile makes you buy their insurance if you lease from them, but Sprint does not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    When Sprint gets around to nationwide VoLTE this fall you'll guys will get the benefits of simultaneous voice + data making the idea to roam even easier and negating the dependence on legacy CDMA voice networks.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wait- so people think that half mile radius 3xB41 sites driving up averages equate to one of the most reliable networks with the largest coverage area? LOL

Sent from my iPhone X using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Wait- so people think that half mile radius 3xB41 sites driving up averages equate to one of the most reliable networks with the largest coverage area? LOL

Well to be fair, I don't think I seen anyone say that. What they said was the network has improved. Also, again to be fair, doesn't at&t do the same thing you are apparently knocking Sprint for with their band 30? I don't use Sprint so honestly can't comment on their network improvements first hand, but by most reports and actual unbiased opinion they have improved. Do use at&t though, use it as my main line. At&t does the same thing you are knocking Sprint for, they use C.A. with band 30, with a small coverage radius, to drive up speeds.

Feedback Score
    ...I don't use Sprint so honestly can't comment on their network improvements first hand, but by most reports and actual unbiased opinion they have improved...
    I have used Sprint for the past four years. I have experienced data improvement. During that period Sprint data at my home went from really slow 1xrtt to EvDO to LTE at 2-4 Mbps. This was with a LTE band 25 only phone with the phone in a window. Around town and populated areas I always got adequate EvDO or LTE. Adequate to me is 2 Mbps or more if the price of service is free or close to it.

Who knows what I would get if I had a new tri-band LTE phone. Considering Sprint's uncertain future, I am not going to spend any money on a new phone to find out. My understanding is that Sprint has overlaid most of their existing coverage area with tri-band. What they have not done is expand their coverage area much, or make a reliable profit in a decade.

Referring to Sprint as a Laughing Stock is just an exercise in headline writing hyperbole. The vast majority of smartphone users have no idea what data speed they get. It either works or it doesn't and 3 Mbps is generally enough for that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well to be fair, I don't think I seen anyone say that. What they said was the network has improved. Also, again to be fair, doesn't at&t do the same thing you are apparently knocking Sprint for with their band 30? I don't use Sprint so honestly can't comment on their network improvements first hand, but by most reports and actual unbiased opinion they have improved. Do use at&t though, use it as my main line. At&t does the same thing you are knocking Sprint for, they use C.A. with band 30, with a small coverage radius, to drive up speeds.
    AT&T uses interband CA with 2/4/5/12/29/30/66 which in general has much wider coverage range than 3 B41 carriers. 60+ MHz of spectrum vs 20 MHz of spectrum. You’re not making an apples to apples comparison. OP mentioned that speeds are increasing... do you think that B25/26 adds are causing this?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast