Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Roaming

Feedback Score

Sprint Roaming

Hello everyone,

Quick question here: Has anyone been able to automatically roam on Sprint ever since they announced their merging plans?- I understand that generally T-Mobile's coverage is more broad than Sprint's, but there are locations where Sprint has the advantage. Just curious here... Thanks!

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Feedback Score
    I think the roaming agreement is one way; only Sprint users can roam on T-Mobile, not the other way around.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I think the roaming agreement is one way; only Sprint users can roam on T-Mobile, not the other way around.
    Im still confused as to how this roaming will help Sprint customers? No VoLTE enabled as of yet... so those customers would have just a data connection with no voice? Any sprint customers notice any new carrier updates for iPhone?
    Verizon LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOBILE GSM View Post
    Im still confused as to how this roaming will help Sprint customers? No VoLTE enabled as of yet... so those customers would have just a data connection with no voice? Any sprint customers notice any new carrier updates for iPhone?
    Sprint voice roams on Verizon. They have a similar agreement with at&t. Sprint data roams on at&t and voice roams on Verizon.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That is correct. Few T-Mobile customers even have phones that supports Sprint's band 25, 26 or 41 that Sprint uses. Even if there was VoLTE ability on Sprint that was compatible with T-Mobile that is being developed. Sprint has about 20M customers that have phone that will roam on some T-Mobile network spectrum bands. VoLTE doesn't have a Universal standard between networks. Some networks gets a US patent on their version of VoLTE so they get patent royalties if it is copied without their permission.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 07-19-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That is correct. Few T-Mobile customers even have phones that supports Sprint's band 25, 26 or 41 that Sprint uses. Even if there was VoLTE ability on Sprint that was compatible with T-Mobile that is being developed. Sprint has about 20M customers that have phone that will roam on some T-Mobile network spectrum bands. VoLTE doesn't have a Universal standard between networks. Some networks gets a US patent on their version of VoLTE so they get patent royalties if it is copied without their permission.
    please don't go around repeating that lie. ANY phone you did NOT buy from tmobile in the past 2 years (which primarily is a clearing house for LG and Samsung) will have those bands and many more. In fact, if you bought a similar model pf phone that tmobile sells unlocked, very likely those bands are enabled- I have often repeated here that tmobile (and other carriers, to reduce port outs) sells castrated phones.

tmobile has retained the least uncarrier feature of all carriers- phone bundling. Nevertheless, that statement you made is wrong. Even samsung s9 phones selling today have these bands- yes, even the tmobile variants.

It seems counterproductive of tmobile to be well behind the curve when it comes to phones instead of proactively selling phones with as many bands as possible for possible future roaming (at least international roaming if nothing else), mergers, spectrum acquisitions etc.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Most people would have either an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone, both of which have supports Sprint's bands for years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    I have often repeated here that tmobile (and other carriers, to reduce port outs) sells castrated phones.
    This is true on mainly the lower end devices TMobile sells, mainly through metro pcs. Most of those devices are band 2,4,5,12,66 and recently 71 capable only. Most of the flagships sold through TMobile though do indeed have all the bands necessary for sprint, like the s9 you mentioned.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Sprint voice roams on Verizon. They have a similar agreement with at&t. Sprint data roams on at&t and voice roams on Verizon.
    OH MY!!! Thats what I call flexible roaming

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOBILE GSM View Post
    OH MY!!! Thats what I call flexible roaming
    OMG Skylar... You've made my day!!-🤣🤣🤣

Feedback Score
    Also, for the record, I am an iPhone 8 Plus user.. but I do appreciate all the non-iPhone talk since I'm a BIG Tech geek!-🤙🏽

Thank you all for the input so far!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmullins81 View Post
    OMG Skylar... You've made my day!!-🤣🤣🤣
    Lol sprint roaming can be weird. You can be on a lte data connection from at&t or TMobile, and at the same time your text and voice will be handled through a Verizon connection. This is also why 20 million or so sprint users can use most TMobile bands, they already had roaming available with at&t for a bit so even newer lower end sprint devices (which usually are very carrier specific and used to only support bands 25,26 and 41) now support bands 2,4,5,12, and 66.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i knew that sprint users could roam on verizon but not on t mo since t mo is gsm and not cdma

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sprint users will be able to roam on T-Mobile for data only initially.

The device will connect to T-Mobile LTE while still maintaining 1 Rx chain on a CDMA providers paging channel to listen for phone calls.

SMS could actually be transmitted over the LTE roaming partners network via IPSMS.

Feedback Score
    Isn’t the roaming agreement for 4 years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast