Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Rumor Claims Microsoft Will Be Selling Its Own Android Phones Soon

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/07/rum...d-phones-soon/

Microsoft tried to improve its fortunes in the smartphone market with the acquisition of Nokia’s hardware division but that didn’t happen. It left the smartphone market and currently has no plans to make smartphones powered by Windows 10 Mobile. However, a new rumor suggests that the company is preparing a new line of smartphones which will be powered by Android.

This according to a Microsoft Store employee who claims that the company’s engineering team is working on a “new line of phones.” They won’t be branded as Lumia handsets, obviously, and it’s unclear whether the company’s Surface hardware development team is behind these devices.

There is nothing else to back up this rumor other than the claims made by this employee. It’s possible that it may just only be the employee’s own speculation that the smartphones will run Android. It’s also possible that he may be talking about the Microsoft Edition Android phones from other OEMs that are sold through the Microsoft Store already.

The employee goes on to say that the smartphones will “definitely” be Microsoft-branded. This is the first we’re about a new lineup of smartphones from Microsoft that will run Android. It would be best to take this rumor with a healthy dose of salt for now until more information surfaces about Microsoft’s new Android smartphones.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What would be the point of doing this?

It reminds me of HP's and Dell's efforts to sell mobile phones -- nothing distinguishing about them at all; long-in-the-tooth checklist items for corporate buy lists ("Yes, we have servers and desktops and laptops and tablets. And cell phones.") with zero appeal to people who buy mobile phones with their own money.

At least HP and Dell did not leave behind a trail of dead ends (well, webOS) and burned developers and customers.

Non-starter, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    If that happened I think it will be great as long as they used android O.S, competition will be tough new line will consider MS as a tough competitor with a lot of resources in their disposal for their own R&D, user will benefit from this they can choose another brand on their taste this only my opinion and I loved to see what will be the outcome.

Feedback Score
    If it happens I bet the Google Play Store won't work ootb. But if M$ want to stick imo they'll have to enable/allow the Google Play Store with a system update. They'll probably be stubborn about this & not let this happen for at least a year.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng90 View Post
    competition will be tough new line will consider MS as a tough competitor with a lot of resources in their disposal for their own R&D, user will benefit from this they can choose another brand on their taste.
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course. But I'm curious why you see it that way.

I don't think any company is going to see Microsoft as a tough competitor given its long history of dipping their toe in and out of the mobile market. Windows CE, Windows Mobile, versions of Mobile that abandoned existing customers and apps, and too much dithering about write-once-run-everywhere killed Windows Phone (Apple and Google covering 95% of the market didn't help either).

The only companies making money in mobile hardware right now are Apple (on price) and Samsung (on volume). Huawei is coming up, but faces some real headwinds in the U.S. and elsewhere -- and it still doesn't mean they'll make money in the long run.

What could Microsoft bring to the table with an Android phone? Bundle the Office apps on the phone? Their logo? Throw in an app that acts as a controller to an Xbox? Consoles are dying, too. So I'm curious what you think Microsoft could bring to the market that would make customers notice their phones in a sea of Galaxys and cheap second-brand phones enough to spend their money, especially given their history in mobile?

Feedback Score
    They could make the android OS look similar to windows 10 with a square start menu as the android launcher.

They are already making android apps that work with windows 10.

So I could see them making a Microsoft version of android that works well with windows. They might even do that amazon did and make a custom version of android without the google play store as default but still allow side loading normal android apps.

Customers will think of it as Microsoft windows on android.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    They could make the android OS look similar to windows 10 with a square start menu as the android launcher.
    OK, I could buy that (well, I wouldn't, really, but YKWIM My wife had a Windows phone for a while; the Metro interface really wasn't bad (better than dealing with those huge squares on a laptop or desktop) and the phone was pretty snappy for low-end hardware (though it wasn't loaded down with too many apps). But it would have to go deeper than a just another manufacturer's skin. And they'd still have to live down their history.

Device(s)
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is just my opinion but as much as I used to Love Android I am getting sick of it...... its built on linux/Unix and as such it should be open and user customization. When google put android in the ring the public ate it up because of those things at least in part. but with every "upgrade" it seems to be more like apple and needs to be "jailbroken" If Microsoft put out a new OS based on Linux and its principles I would be surprised but I would buy it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    This is just my opinion but as much as I used to Love Android I am getting sick of it...... its built on linux/Unix and as such it should be open and user customization. When google put android in the ring the public ate it up because of those things at least in part. but with every "upgrade" it seems to be more like apple and needs to be "jailbroken" If Microsoft put out a new OS based on Linux and its principles I would be surprised but I would buy it.
    More than a few Androids can be rooted. I've rooted almost all my Androids.

But if all phones were open to customization to the extent of a Linux distro there'd be millions of borked phones & angry customers.

Carriers couldn't afford the CSR & tech costs.

Device(s)
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes very true, but I am not just talking about about phones all being open to customization. I too have rooted pretty much every phone I have ever had, including before android came out. I used to put custom snips of my favorite music on old flip phones and such.

What I am talking about is every version of android that comes out is less customizable and usually harder to root. granted most newer version incorporate mods from previous versions. and that is great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    Yes very true, but I am not just talking about about phones all being open to customization....What I am talking about is every version of android that comes out is less customizable and usually harder to root....
    Maybe so. I think it's just as much the dev community (all hail XDA!) is getting pickier about which models they support. And most are abandoned within a year & on to the next phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Originally Posted by Black69Camaro
    Yes very true, but I am not just talking about about phones all being open to customization....What I am talking about is every version of android that comes out is less customizable and usually harder to root....
    Maybe so. I think it's just as much the dev community (all hail XDA!) is getting pickier about which models they support. And most are abandoned within a year & on to the next phone.
    Thing is, if you can root the phone, someone else can do it, too -- even remotely -- and that's a vector for malware and mayhem. Most (by the millions) phone users don't care much about customizing their phone beyond skins and apps. They'll never root their phone. They don't even understand or go for the purer versions of Android, like Pixel phones, nevermind know what they'd get out of rooting their phone.

Android also is kind of a victim of its own success -- too many manufacturers chasing customers and shareholders. Lots of model turnover year after year. Development having to continually deal with new phone models, changes to skins, fitting in around manufacturer's adaptations of Google security updates; well, that's a lot going on at once. Probably worth it for a few years' worth of Samsung Galaxys; not so much for whatever low-end second-brand phone Tracfone is tossing at customers for free this month. I'm kind of surprised at the longevity of some of the Android manufacturers, actually, considering how few of them are making any money at this.