Thread: Boost Mobile founder wants to build a $10-a-month home broadband service

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Boost Mobile founder wants to build a $10-a-month home broadband service

https://bgr.com/2018/07/17/cheap-hom...eter-adderton/

Name:  shutterstock_446803642.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  65.5 KB

The T-Mobile Sprint merger has drawn its fair share of detractors from across the political spectrum, but none have been as outspoken as Peter Adderton, Boost Mobile’s founder. Adderton sold Boost Mobile to the company that would eventually become Sprint over a decade ago, but the proposed merger — which he claims would be the end of the Boost Mobile brand, as it would be absorbed into T-Mobile prepaid brand MetroPCS — has seen him re-enter the fray.

Adderton has said before that he thinks any merger should be contingent on New T-Mobile divesting 15 million prepaid customers and some of Sprint’s 2.5GHz mid-band spectrum, both of which are valuable assets. “[Having 15 million customers] gives you the ability to negotiate incredibly good deals,” Adderton previously told BGR. “It allows you to keep nine thousand independent dealers together, and allows you to keep all of those people employed. So that’s the first thing they should have to do. They should also have to divest some spectrum, to enable a fourth network — not a nationwide network, but at least allow some kind of inner-city 5G hotspot.”

Adderton announced today what that inner-city network would look like. In a press release, he laid out a plan to offer a $10-a-month unlimited fixed wireless plan to customers in low-income urban areas, customers he says will be underserved by the expensive fixed 5G networks that the major carriers are planning to roll out.

“We are prepared to commit to the rapid build-out of a high-density, 4G LTE small cell network infrastructure in select urban markets to serve the broadband needs of this country’s millions of lower income, credit-challenged and/or minority prepaid wireless consumers,” Adderton said in the press release. “I can’t emphasize enough how important affordable broadband is for these consumers. The vast majority of prepaid customers don’t have a 60-inch LCD TV for their news and entertainment. Their phone is their lifeline to things like news, healthcare, jobs and entertainment, and they simply can’t afford the $80/month broadband plans that cable companies sell and The New T-Mobile will be offering them post-merger.”

Critics have said that Adderton is an opportunist trying to use the merger as a chance to buy back Boost Mobile, and T-Mobile CEO John Legere even hinted at the same thing at a recent Congressional hearing, insinuating that Adderton already has private equity companies lined up to finance the deal. Speaking to BGR, Adderton called the accusations “ludicrous, completely ludicrous,” and emphasized that any sale would be “done through an auction,” with other cable companies likely to compete. He also rebuffed the private equity accusation, saying that “every single dollar spent so far on research and lawyers has come out of my own pocket.” There’s no question that an auction of Boost Mobile and some Sprint spectrum would be in his personal interest, but Adderton emphasized that he would have to bid on the company just like anyone else, and that ultimately he’d be happy to see any significant divestment of prepaid customers, whether it goes to him or not.

The actual network that Adderton proposes building out would be unlike anything currently on the market in North America. He’s promising unlimited home internet– and yes, he says he wants it to be genuinely unlimited — for $9.95 a month, with additional options for mobile data on an MVNO using another carrier’s network. The service would only be offered in lower-income areas, and would be specifically targeted at households that can’t afford the $60-a-month or more for current home internet offerings, and also won’t be the kind of households that would “stress-test” a network. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Adderton is proposing a low-cost, lower-speed network designed more for home internet use, web browsing, social media, and doing homework rather than streaming three concurrent 1080p streams. It would compete more with the copper-wire DSL services that currently serve as the only cheap home broadband available for most of America, rather than gigabit cable or new 5G fixed wireless services.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    He wants T-Sprint to divest 15 million paid subs and 2.5 GHz spectrum? I don't think that is going to happen.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Honestly, Sprint should sell off the Boost brand. T-Mobile should reorganize all their prepaid customers under the Sprint name and sell off Metro, Virgin, and Boost trademarks. The buyers of these brands can have a special a wholesale rate for low-income/rural customers. T-Mobile could even divest some customers because that segment isn't very profitable.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm also for the consolidation of all the prepaid brands but I don't think the dealers would be too happy about this.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I'm also for the consolidation of all the prepaid brands but I don't think the dealers would be too happy about this.
    It wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of these major dealers are upset. Having a few major dealers that own all of the stores in an area and charge higher prices isn't real consumer friendly anyway. They've taken the postpaid model and tried to make it fit prepaid, which hasn't been the best thing for consumers who want to go to a local store and get service. Maybe if they consolidate brands, weed out major dealers who don't operate the way that they should and make a lane for smaller dealers who will be more concerned with customer service, things will be better.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    It wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of these major dealers are upset. Having a few major dealers that own all of the stores in an area and charge higher prices isn't real consumer friendly anyway. They've taken the postpaid model and tried to make it fit prepaid, which hasn't been the best thing for consumers who want to go to a local store and get service. Maybe if they consolidate brands, weed out major dealers who don't operate the way that they should and make a lane for smaller dealers who will be more concerned with customer service, things will be better.
    Personally I'd like to see "dealers" completely eliminated from the wireless business. They are an unnecessary overhead that increases the cost of doing business. Its not rocket-science to activate service. Most MVNOs are operating store-less businesses without any problems. Some people argue that "support" provided by stores are necessary for older customers, but I feel that segment of the population is shrinking. Stores really only exist to up-sell services like insurance, accessories, and add-ons. Verizon's new 'Visible' service is perfect example of this model. The dealership model must die.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Personally I'd like to see "dealers" completely eliminated from the wireless business. They are an unnecessary overhead that increases the cost of doing business. Its not rocket-science to activate service. Most MVNOs are operating store-less businesses without any problems. Some people argue that "support" provided by stores are necessary for older customers, but I feel that segment of the population is shrinking. Stores really only exist to up-sell services like insurance, accessories, and add-ons. Verizon's new 'Visible' service is perfect example of this model. The dealership model must die.
    I’m with you on this one! I worked for a Sprint dealer for a few years. It sucked having to turn away customer because either they had to do something at corporate or CS would have to do it for them. If I knew CS could do it, I’d keep them in store and just help them rather than sending them away.

Generally speaking dealers are a waste of time. Can’t return web orders, can’t return stock from any store but only the dealer owned. Can’t finance accessories on the bill.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    People who have US bank accounts, fixed addresses and the internet (and know how to use it) don't need dealers. The unbanked and the offline do. Also international visitors.

Independent multi-brand dealers also usually do repairs and SIM unlocking and sell used phones.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.