Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They aren't extending it further. If anything in some areas the may shut it down early so they can roll out lowband 5G.
    The poster may be making the assumption. Just get it over with.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    What do you mean by "keeps getting extended"? It was extended only once so far.
    In other words I'll believe CDMA to be gone when I see it.

You're going to have the vocal minority in some local investigative news report talking about paying for Verizon service they no longer get LMAO.

IMO CDMA on low bands is the only advantage Verizon ever had. It'll be intresting to see them toss that aside and then claim "see you get the same coverage with LTE/5G" Again, LMAO!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score

Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post

You're going to have the vocal minority in some local investigative news report talking about paying for Verizon service they no longer get LMAO.

IMO CDMA on low bands is the only advantage Verizon ever had. It'll be intresting to see them toss that aside and then claim "see you get the same coverage with LTE/5G" Again, LMAO!!!
    I totally agree with you . Verizon can still leave a small sliver of 1x dedicated for voice calls while deploying 10x10 850 everywhere they own a license

Feedback Score

That 10X10 is being wasted on CDMA. Much better for it to be used for 4G/5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon still has the largest 4G LTE network CDMA aside.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That 10X10 is being wasted on CDMA. Much better for it to be used for 4G/5G
    100% agree on this!!! Makes no sense to keep cdma running when the majority of users are on LTE. I seriously doubt that Verizon will have many complaints over it, despite what the T-Mobile fanboys would like us to believe.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    100% agree on this!!! Makes no sense to keep cdma running when the majority of users are on LTE. I seriously doubt that Verizon will have many complaints over it, despite what the T-Mobile fanboys would like us to believe.
    Nearly 99% of the data and vast majority of calls are over the LTE network now. It's unfortunate Verizon decided to delay the cutoff another year. Some people would say what's only 5 MHz going to do anyway. Well considering how strained the network is, a lot. Every little bit helps.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Nearly 99% of the data and vast majority of calls are over the LTE network now. It's unfortunate Verizon decided to delay the cutoff another year. Some people would say what's only 5 MHz going to do anyway. Well considering how strained the network is, a lot. Every little bit helps.
    That CDMA spectrum is better served going to LTE. 5 MHz is not much, but it definitely helps.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Verizon still has another almost 18 months before they shut this down.. Verizon can still make tons of tweaks and improvements.. that would be the last of my worries
    Accelerating CDMA shutdown in San Diego and El Paso and activating B5 LTE on the widest channel should be priority until this messy situation with Red Compartida is resolved. Verizon Wireless is using spectrum it can't effectively use.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    I did make a more serious effort to file a formal complaint about some of the weak/null LTE signals spots where I frequent. Coincidence or not, I have noticed after several weeks, it *is* better. Not perfect or even great, but less dropped VoLTE calls now. I've now switched away from CDMA now. Hopefully VZW can improve even more.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I did make a more serious effort to file a formal complaint about some of the weak/null LTE signals spots where I frequent. Coincidence or not, I have noticed after several weeks, it *is* better.
    I doubt it's coincidence. It could be, but I've found VZW is really good about tweaking their sites for all they're worth. Pre-LTE, they did not build out any new sites in town for years and no new spectrum. Somehow they managed to run 3G and 1x in a college town with a cellular block and like 5mhz of PCS, service would get poor in some spot in town and somehow, with no new sites or spectrum, get better a while later. From what I read VZW does not use remote tilt on their sites, they found them too prone to damage in severe weather. But they'll have stats per-cell-sector showing stats on call drops, traffic levels, and so on. They can remotely adjust power levels (perhaps power was turned up and you get a little better signal strength); they can also adjust CDMA, EVDO, and LTE tunables that trade off between capacity and range (you'd have the same actual signal strength, but can have usable service with a weaker signal than before.) Here they've been sticking up small cells like crazy the last 6 months or year, maybe they stuck a cell up somewhere that's giving you slightly stronger service.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15