Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 204

Thread: Is VZW VoLTE ready for primetime? (sunsetting CDMA)

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,370
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I suspect that VZW doesn't want to pay to maintain the legacy CDMA equipment.
    I agree, but the other problem is that the manufactures have ended support for legacy CDMA equipment so if the equipment breaks down there won't be any replacement parts for it and wireless carries aren't going to go out of their way to support older technologies on new equipment. If the manufacturers won't support their legacy CDMA equipment, then chances are Verizon won't push it..

    Verizon Wireless is focused on developing LTE and getting 5G up and running..

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,370
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Maybe not today but they'll get there. With the #2 and #3 carriers venturing more into rural areas I believe VoLTE and eventually voice technologies associated with NR will fill in the gaps.
    There will be opportunities for wireless carriers to form a joint venture or consortium to expand VoLTE to replace the coverage that the lost to keep network expansion costs down.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,767
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    ......Verizon Wireless is focused on developing LTE and getting 5G up and running..
    As is almost every other carrier.

    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    There will be opportunities for wireless carriers to form a joint venture or consortium to expand VoLTE to replace the coverage that the lost to keep network expansion costs down.
    LTE & VoLTE will be the new wireless lingua franca. Almost like going back to the pre-PCS analog days, when everyone could roam everyone else. No more CDMA, TDMA, GSM divide.
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,370
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As is almost every other carrier...
    But my comment was specifically for Verizon Wireless, which was also a part of the greater conversation I was replying to (and also because this thread is about Verizon Wireless). And, yeah I know other wireless carriers are focused on LTE and 5G, it's not like I'm living in the desert without modern conveniences or somehow clueless of what is gong on in wireless scene, however the last post you replied to..what other wireless carriers are doing just wasn't relevant to what I wanted to get across.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 07-29-2018 at 01:40 PM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    121
    Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I agree 100 percent , the whole country can’t be covered with LTE. A sliver of 1x is still needed for those reliable calls
    From the "way back machine" in my head... When cellular was transitioning from AMPS to the first iteration of CDMA (IS-95) everyone said there would always be AMPS in rural areas. I hung on to my Samsung SPH-i500 for the longest time for this very reason, eventually AMPS went away. Dropping CDMA for LTE is certainly not an apples to apples comparison but something tells me they'll make it happen too.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,480
    Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As is almost every other carrier.


    LTE & VoLTE will be the new wireless lingua franca. Almost like going back to the pre-PCS analog days, when everyone could roam everyone else. No more CDMA, TDMA, GSM divide.
    This needs to be something pushed more by the FCC.

    Makes no sense that VoLTE interoperability, and roaming aren't more prevalent.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    140
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    What areas specifically?

    If one lives in Carlisle, PA and activates his VZW prepaid plan in Carlisle, and if he commutes south on I-81 to work at the Mack Truck/Volvo engine plant in Hagerstown, MD, then:

    1) He cannot roam for free from the time he crosses the MD line until he gets past Winchester, VA; traveling north and south. Traveling east, he must pass into Frederick Co., MD and traveling west, maybe in Oakland or Deep Creek Lake. He has to pay 20 cents/minute to roam there.

    2) he cannot activate VoLTE nor HD Voice nor what ever other handle you might want to put on the option. In phone settings, that option is grayed out. In the features in My VZW, that option does not exist. If he calls *611, the machine tells him that your account does not have that feature available, or some such message.

    3) If he calls *611 and is so fortunate as to actually speak to a human, then she tells him that prepaid customers will never be allowed to roam in that area because VZW does not own any towers there.

    4) Therefore, if one must pay to roam in that area, and is software inhibited from using VoLTE, when he CAN roam on LTE. then I'd say that VZW is further away from endin 1xRTT that they want us to think.

    5) That's right, can't roam on !xRTT and can't make a call on VoLTE with an LG V20 4x4 MIMO and SD 820 processor. Activated JUL/16/2018.

    And, when I put the SIM card in the other phone that used to have 4G LTE, it only gets EvDO (3G).

    So no. I don't think that VZW is ready for prime time in VoLTE. There are alot of wrinkles to be ironed out.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    444
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sunsetting CDMA is still almost 1.5 years away.

    Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This needs to be something pushed more by the FCC.

    Makes no sense that VoLTE interoperability, and roaming aren't more prevalent.
    Why this is happening on it's own anyway.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    5) That's right, can't roam on !xRTT and can't make a call on VoLTE with an LG V20 4x4 MIMO and SD 820 processor. Activated JUL/16/2018.
    I can activate a 5 year phone today doesn't make it brand new. The V20 was released 21 months ago. And by the time CDMA is shut down it will be 38 months old. And you will have had it 18 months. Verizon hasn't even sold that phone in at least 6-8 months


    So no. I don't think that VZW is ready for prime time in VoLTE. There are alot of wrinkles to be ironed out.
    Doesn't matter what you think, it's being shut down Dec 31 2019. And I trust Verizon's assessment of it's network not some layman with anecdotal evidence. Also I find it hilarious that people don't seem to think Verizon can't iron out any wrinkles within 520 days. I'm pretty sure as soon as CDMA is shut down towers with 850 MHz 1x will be lit up with band 5 LTE.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    399
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As is almost every other carrier.


    LTE & VoLTE will be the new wireless lingua franca. Almost like going back to the pre-PCS analog days, when everyone could roam everyone else. No more CDMA, TDMA, GSM divide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    If one lives in Carlisle, PA and activates his VZW prepaid plan in Carlisle, and if he commutes south on I-81 to work at the Mack Truck/Volvo engine plant in Hagerstown, MD, then:

    1) He cannot roam for free from the time he crosses the MD line until he gets past Winchester, VA; traveling north and south. Traveling east, he must pass into Frederick Co., MD and traveling west, maybe in Oakland or Deep Creek Lake. He has to pay 20 cents/minute to roam there.

    2) he cannot activate VoLTE nor HD Voice nor what ever other handle you might want to put on the option. In phone settings, that option is grayed out. In the features in My VZW, that option does not exist. If he calls *611, the machine tells him that your account does not have that feature available, or some such message.

    3) If he calls *611 and is so fortunate as to actually speak to a human, then she tells him that prepaid customers will never be allowed to roam in that area because VZW does not own any towers there.

    4) Therefore, if one must pay to roam in that area, and is software inhibited from using VoLTE, when he CAN roam on LTE. then I'd say that VZW is further away from endin 1xRTT that they want us to think.

    5) That's right, can't roam on !xRTT and can't make a call on VoLTE with an LG V20 4x4 MIMO and SD 820 processor. Activated JUL/16/2018.

    And, when I put the SIM card in the other phone that used to have 4G LTE, it only gets EvDO (3G).

    So no. I don't think that VZW is ready for prime time in VoLTE. There are alot of wrinkles to be ironed out.
    I am having troubling following the thread. Are you saying there is not good Verizon service in Hagerstown. I have Verizon prepaid. Just swicthed from AT&T prepaid. I have family in Hagerstown, however, I haven't been there since I switched to Verizon. I go up there via Baltimore.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    1,022
    Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    I am having troubling following the thread. Are you saying there is not good Verizon service in Hagerstown. I have Verizon prepaid. Just swicthed from AT&T prepaid. I have family in Hagerstown, however, I haven't been there since I switched to Verizon. I go up there via Baltimore.[/URL]
    The problem is no native Verizon 1x service in parts of Maryland & West Virginia. Post-paid accounts roam on US Cellular, but not Pre-paid. Makes no sense that VoLTE is not available to pre-paid customers as it would solve this issue.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    The problem is no native Verizon 1x service in parts of Maryland & West Virginia. Post-paid accounts roam on US Cellular, but not Pre-paid. Makes no sense that VoLTE is not available to pre-paid customers as it would solve this issue.
    it is and has been for 2 years now

    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-for-prepaid/

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    1,022
    Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Good to know.

    For whatever reason "Greenmule" in post #67 above has not been able to activate VoLTE on his pre-paid account. Evidently customer service didn't get that memo . . . . .

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Good to know.

    For whatever reason "Greenmule" in post #67 above has not been able to activate VoLTE on his pre-paid account. Evidently customer service didn't get that memo . . . . .
    You can do it on the device. Also the phone has to support it. Which a V20 should.

    To activate HD Voice on your Android device:
    Go to Settings.

    Tap Advanced Calling under WIRELESS NETWORKS.

    Tap Activate Advanced Calling and follow on-screen instruction.
    You've successfully added HD Voice.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 700W not ready for primetime
    By jdc in forum WinMo
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 01:04 PM
  2. PPC-6601 Not ready for primetime
    By vin1024 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 10:59 AM
  4. is att getting ready for 850 in MN?
    By hbear in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 11:20 PM
  5. Bell IS there no market for used Bell CDMA phones?
    By shinjiplus in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 01:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks