Thread: How to Hack Your Amazon Tablet (2018 edition)

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Post How to Hack Your Amazon Tablet (2018 edition)

Name:  fire-hd-10.jpg
Views: 3796
Size:  33.3 KB

In honour of the continuing Prime Day festivities, Brad Linder of Liliputing has put together a helpful guide to making that cheap and cheerful Android-powered Amazon tablet a bit more useful. Take it away, Brad:

In a nutshell you can root the Amazon Fire HD 10, but not the latest Fire HD 8 or Fire 7 models. But you can install the Google Play Store and/or alternate app launchers on any of Amazon’s current tablets.
    Further to that, the Fire HD 10 isn't actually available to Canada—so if, like me, you're a Canadian who wants a rooted Fire tablet I'm afraid you're out of luck. There's still some neat tricks you can pull on the HD 8 or 7 model, though... Brad posted a separate guide on how to get Google Play on the HD 8 (which also works on the HD 10); for the Fire 7 there's either a sketchy-looking Windows tool or a more straightforward collection of downloads from the reputable APKMirror, run by Android Police.

As for the Fire HD 10 there are at least two known exploits tested by XDA. Unfortunately none of Amazon's tablets have unlockable bootloaders like the Nexus tablets of days gone by. Anyway, all the links you need are in the post directly below. Happy modding, and be careful!

Source: Liliputing
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    What to do next step because I have not root my device.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score
    All the info you need can be found through the link at the end of the post. Root is not necessarily required to get the Play Store on a Fire tablet.