Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: USCC VoLTE Roaming Update from Exec

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    That's nice to see. I wonder if they will ever get it in West Virginia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app
    Looks like it may be live in parts of WV now:
    Attachment 159388

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    whlep i guess i was wrong...USCC does have VOLTE in the state of Iowa and says it wants to expand that only because all other carriers besides sprint has VOLTE and can roam on to USCC network and then itll shut down CDMA but in time

also looks like t-mobile was able to roam onto USCC network around this time last year..too bad USCC didnt have VOLTE running in west virginia and i wish t-mobile to hurry with band 71 in west virginia lol tho band 71 will spill over to PA as well
    I think they are activating/expanding it now (USCC VOLTE). See my post just above this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NashGuy615 View Post
    Looks like it may be live in parts of WV now:
    Attachment 159388
    Excellent stuff!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    they didnt want to sell the whole company and the only reason why they sold what they did is to downsize....and yes they make alot of their money on other roaming onto them...i dont see VOLTE coming into play any time soon not till they get rid of CDMA but i dont think that going happen
    They didn't want to sell, but they missed their opportunity. From here, their value only goes down as other carriers can built into those markets with native coverage, and don't need to buy USCC to get those licenses. B5 is now just another coverage band along with B12/13/14/71.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTEAdvanced View Post
    They didn't want to sell, but they missed their opportunity. From here, their value only goes down as other carriers can built into those markets with native coverage, and don't need to buy USCC to get those licenses. B5 is now just another coverage band along with B12/13/14/71.
    By owning most of the rest of the lower 700 A-block licenses, they had a way to attract T-Mobile's attention for a roaming agreement but one wonders how much longer that will last. Will T-Mobile be happy to continue roaming on USCC or will they just decide to build over USCC's rural coverage with 600 MHz and cut off their air? I think it all depends on how nicely USCC plays. T-Mobile has a history of being happy to rely on partners (e.g. Viaero) to cover rural areas, as long as they play nicely.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    By owning most of the rest of the lower 700 A-block licenses, they had a way to attract T-Mobile's attention for a roaming agreement but one wonders how much longer that will last. Will T-Mobile be happy to continue roaming on USCC or will they just decide to build over USCC's rural coverage with 600 MHz and cut off their air? I think it all depends on how nicely USCC plays. T-Mobile has a history of being happy to rely on partners (e.g. Viaero) to cover rural areas, as long as they play nicely.
    The thing is, they had the most value to sell before Verizon got B13 and AT&T put humpty-dumpty back together with B17, as they were the rest of humpty-dumpty with B5. They still are, but no one cares about B5 anymore, as they've got all the other low band spectrum.

T-Mobile may well continue to roam on them, but the economics of it change quite a bit for T-Mobile if the T-Sprint merger goes through. If it doesn't, they are very likely to stay roaming on USCC. That being said, there are a bunch of roamer networks like Northeast Wireless and Wireless Partners who provide roaming to the big guys. What's interesting about them is that USCC could of had that business, as they already are licensed to operate in all the areas that those roamer networks operate in. Go figure. If the various players could all agree on how to do it, there is a strong economic argument to just have two CLR block carriers in the more rural parts of the USCC markets, and the 3 national carriers that aren't the other CLR block carrier relying on USCC for roaming.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This old July T-Mobile Band 71 build out map already shows that T-Mobile is going after most of USCC native coverage areas. From Washington state, rural Northern Calf, Southern Oregon, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Oklahoma, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, Maine and more. This map is from July but it is clear to me that T-Mobile intends to build out in USCC's native coverage. Sounds like West Virginia is getting some love since a major TV station just left the spectrum. About the only areas of USCC native coverage that T-Mobile hasn't hit yet is Illinois and East Tennessee. Iowa isn't get Band 71 yet but it is getting a lot of other upgrades since T-Mobile acquired iWireless.

If the merger with Sprint is approved then USCC will need T-Mobile a lot more for roaming outside their native areas than T-Mobile needs USCC.

The only thing that is slowing down T-Mobile 600 Mhz is the TV stations that haven't left the spectrum. This has nothing to do with USCC but according to Reddit some are saying the first Band 71 is running in West Palm Beach, FL.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-25-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    No CDMA. VoLTE is not CDMA. It's voice over LTE, so it's a data connection. They're adding VoLTE support. So where USCC has VoLTE, they can have T-Mobile customers roaming onto them as long as the T-Mobile customer has one of the supported phones.
    yea ur right, i dont know what i was thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This old July T-Mobile Band 71 build out map already shows that T-Mobile is going after most of USCC native coverage areas. From Washington state, rural Northern Calf, Southern Oregon, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Oklahoma, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, Maine and more. This map is from July but it is clear to me that T-Mobile intends to build out in USCC's native coverage. Sounds like West Virginia is getting some love since a major TV station just left the spectrum. About the only areas of USCC native coverage that T-Mobile hasn't hit yet is Illinois and East Tennessee. Iowa isn't get Band 71 yet but it is getting a lot of other upgrades since T-Mobile acquired iWireless.

If the merger with Sprint is approved then USCC will need T-Mobile a lot more for roaming outside their native areas than T-Mobile needs USCC.

The only thing that is slowing down T-Mobile 600 Mhz is the TV stations that haven't left the spectrum. This has nothing to do with USCC but according to Reddit some are saying the first Band 71 is running in West Palm Beach, FL.

hmmm wow...i was going to say USCC is pretty much kings where they do have coverage, if t-mobile can be a huge winner if they are able to take over those areas

Feedback Score
    This old July T-Mobile Band 71 build out map already shows that T-Mobile is going after most of USCC native coverage areas. From Washington state, rural Northern Calf, Southern Oregon, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Oklahoma, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, Maine and more.
    Plopping one giant B71 tower in the middle of a bunch of USCC towers and then fudging the coverage map isn't going to make T-Mobile a viable competitor to USCC. But it could be one of several factors leading to USCC's demise if it covers enough area to reduce their roaming revenue from T-Mobile customers, especially if T-Sprint goes through.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm hoping that with the Iowa Wireless acquisition, they can fix the coverage snafus in northwest Illinois. The Rock River valley is a real sore point; coverage is spotty to nonexistent between the Rockford area and Dixon, Dixon itself is spotty away from I-88, west of the Rock River there are lots of gaps between T-Mobile and Iowa Wireless coverage, and then there was still lots of 2G there as of late July, at least when I was far enough east of the Quad Cities and Mississippi River.

Central/Southern Illinois has its own problems as well - even the latest maps still show a vast coverage hole south of Decatur, centered on Pana and including Shelbyville, and plenty of other Swiss cheese also.

Feedback Score
    Cough... cough GSMinCT... Show me where T-Mobile is only planting one single B71 Tower and walking away? T-Mobile is way way ahead of the FCC Phase 1-10 build out for Band 71 since Phase 1 doesn't even end till November 30, 2018.
    What? Look at the map. You can literally see the circles of estimated coverage from B71 towers in areas where AT&T and Verizon and their predecessors have had many 850 towers for decades. T-Mobile doesn't care about competing in rural, they're just trying to manage roaming costs like Sprint has done for years with strange, randomly placed single towers that don't connect to anything.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    FYI USCC's Northwest Market consists of Northern California, Oregon and Washington. I'm in a USCC area here in Mendocino County in rural Northwestern California, we also have T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T. I'm curious whether this VoLTE roaming includes in-market as well, as T-Mobile also has service here.

Edit - As far as I know, VoLTE is live with USCC in this area, though I'm not sure how extensive it is. I have a lot of family here with USCC, next time I see them I'll have to take a look at their phones, or stop at the USCC corporate store in Ukiah.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Around here (western WA) T-Mo did some major catch-up to Sprint a couple years ago — they added coverage away from I5 for the first time south of Olympia, up US 12, and overall just thickened things up... only issue is it’s all Band 12 only — and their Band 12 setup actually doesn’t seem to carry the same great coverage I’d expect... very similar to a Sprint 1900 only LTE site. It looks like they may be using low power with single antennas.

It would actually be considered full market coverage based on numbers of sites — but for being low band it just doesn’t feel like it.

The carriers in the area south of Olympia to just north of Portland are USCC and Sprint... Sprint has done great between adding Qwest years ago and actually completing their Nextel overbuild here. They now are launching Band 26.

N

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sprint's a no show in most of NW CA, and in much of rural NorCal. In much of the west, their coverage map looks like spaghetti thrown on a wall lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Sprint's a no show in most of NW CA, and in much of rural NorCal. In much of the west, their coverage map looks like spaghetti thrown on a wall lol
    LOL. What I can't figure out is why they have these weird little bits of coverage that jut out into the middle of nowhere, or coverage on part of a highway and then it just stops. It's not logical for an urban-centric carrier, it almost looks like they were going to build out somewhere and then just gave up and left the few towers there operating. They don't even look like good license protection sites, as they aren't in densely populated areas where you would want to put a single license protection site. Many of them are 3G-only, which are semi-useless, yet they pay to keep them running. It's just weird.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast