Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5S - No longer activating non HD-supported devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    if you want to call someone pointing out mistreatment "uncivil" then go ahead i guess. i mean you all COULD just apologize ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    veriztd literally said just a few posts back "Please keep this thread civil. If this becomes an insult-laden discussion, this thread will be closed." Are you disagreeing with this? Might as well shut this thread down of no one is going to listen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Most of the good posters have left. Now people either get banned or treated bad around here for

1) liking tmobile
    2) questioning and not worshipping att or Verizon
    3) going against jet
    Name me instances of any of the three. If anything anyone not jumping on the Verizon hatetrain are the ones that get crapped on. NO carrier is perfect, Verizon included and when they need to be called out they should be. However I do have issue with people that post factless rants or conspiracy theories or have unrealistic expectations because they are in fact either entitled or uninformed about how wireless works in the real world or both. And no I'm not necessarily talking about this thread or anyone in it but that is how it ill be taken by some because reading comprehension has gone down the toilet. Or people are just so self important they think everything is about them.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I remember the ATT TDMA shutdown in favor of GSM. Folks definitely got letters in the mail a few months prior to TDMA shutdown. There was at least one free dumb-phone offered. Of course those were different times (i.e. the common phone wasn't a smartphone, and even the 'smartphones' weren't much to look at.)

Anyway, there are simple phones (i.e. flip and the like) with VoLTE Support now. I could see Verizon offering that for free or cheap. I could also see them shoving a few 'free' low-end android phones as smartphone replacements-- the same stuff they 'sell' for free now.

And no, a cheap android phone does not replace iPhone 5S (not even close), but one could argue that someone with no budget for phone replacement can do basic tasks like make/receive calls, browse the web, and do vehicle navigation even with a low-end android. It's not a great experience-- it's just basic access. If you want a good experience, you pay for that (at least in their minds).

So yeah, I'd guess they'll offer only the cheapest (to Verizon) option that barely and only technically covers each class of user. Again, not trying to meet your needs, just offering you a path to stay a customer without direct handset cost incurred (or minimal).

Now if I thought Verizon was a great company (and I don't), I'd see them offer free SE to any effected iPhone user. Or maybe something like this:
    iPhone 5S-> gets higher end SE
    iPhone 5-> gets lower end SE (or discount on any SE)
    iPhone 4(any) -> gets discount on SE

But yeah, that's in my fantasy world. I think this issue touches on why people say Verizon is expensive even though their rate-plans are similar to competition. They simply never yield on certain issues -- like handset replacement, and they don't really do loyalty or retention to any real degree. The best you get with Verizon is maybe a grandfathered plan (if they don't dork that also).

So there's the what I think will happen, which is not even an SE offer (just a flip phone option and the free androids that already exist). And what I think should happen, which is the SE option/s which has been suggested.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    "people disagree"

in this thread i was literally called "entitled" and accused of thinking everyone deserves free upgrades of everything they own,
    Haha. Don't let those who are perpetually bitter bother you. You're a fantastic poster and contributor to the Verizon subforums. I've been here a long time and rarely do I ever say that about another poster.

Sometimes you get industry employees or former employees on here (like me) who've dealt with the worst of the worst. So we come here on the defensive looking for threads and ideas that make us mad; and then we unwittingly post in attack mode by default; not realizing that we have to take things down a few notches.

Each one of us is on our own journey; and at different levels of that; but we all share a love for everything mobile and that is why we come here; so if there is one thing that unites us it's that.

The best posters here on Hofo have learned the art of debating an idea without screaming or belittling others, making it personal or just making their suggestions seem unwelcome.

You share great information. Keep it up V.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    iPhone 5S-> gets higher end SE
    iPhone 5-> gets lower end SE (or discount on any SE)
    iPhone 4(any) -> gets discount on SE
    There is no legal NEED for data to mandate a free new fancy smartphone. Why would the rest of us pay for new phones for people that think they deserve new phones? Because that will happen, there are no "free" phones in the end.
    The AT&T phone replacement was because of the legal NEED to access 911 and they didn't care to be sued for that liability. It was cheaper to throw in a few flip phones than paying the lawyers, it was not done to "maintain" clients.

PS: Today we are already paying for that kind of "free" access with programs like Link-up and Lifeline, called colloquially "Obama phones". Those are financed via the pooled contributions of commercial phone service providers, which in turn impose small monthly fees on their regular customers to recoup the cost.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I got a new sim from a corporate store today and swapped it from the Galaxy S6 to the iPhone 5S. Everything seems to work fine.

How does the 5S run on the latest ios 11? I'm thinking of upgrading from 8.
    iOS 11 is decently usable, but it's a bit slow.

For what it's worth, there's a way to upgrade your iPhone 5s to iOS 10.3.3 instead of 11. I would either try that, stick with 8 until iOS 12 comes out in September, or consider joining the iOS 12 public beta at beta.apple.com. (Despite Apple's disclaimers, iOS 12 beta is really good enough already to use as your daily driver on your main phone, but keep in mind that there will be beta updates coming out every 1-2 weeks or so.)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure I would bother though. When a legacy network is being deprecated, the service always seems to continuously degrade for a year or two before the hard shutoff.
    Actually AT&T's well-known for doing this, VZW is not. Near analog shutdown time, people got out their old analog phones and found areas with dead equipment, staticy lines, and areas with frequent busy signals (for whatever reason there was still analog usage in these areas without enough analog channels up.) VZW commented they try to meet call failure and call drop rates per site, not per-technology, and were fully maintaining their old analog equipment right up to day of shut off. They are pretty careful about reducing number of channels on older technology in line with actual reduction in usage, I'm guessing that 1X and 3G will keep running fairly well right up until they are shut off.

And no, a cheap android phone does not replace iPhone 5S (not even close), but one could argue that someone with no budget for phone replacement can do basic tasks like make/receive calls, browse the web, and do vehicle navigation even with a low-end android. It's not a great experience-- it's just basic access. If you want a good experience, you pay for that (at least in their minds).
    Not so -- the cheaper Android phones (like Samsung J7) sell for under $100, have more RAM than 5S, double the processing power, equal or better camera. If you want an apple product then that's what you want, but if anything a cheap android phone is "not even close" to 5s because the cheap android phone's specs will be higher

My problem personally would be wanting a keyboard phone. Android vendors complain they can't do anything to make their phones stand out from the competition (i.e. other Android phone vendros), then if you suggest something like making a keyboard phone they just say they aren't doing that. Thank goodness those Blackberry Android phones are out now, or I would have had nothing at all to pick to replace my quite elderly Stratosphere II.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5S - No longer activating non HD-supported devices?

I’d like to report that I successfully got the iPhone 5S activated by activating an iPhone 6S and then hot swapping the SIM card over to the iPhone 5S. Verizon still supports the phone completely, being the network is still open for another 1.5 years AT LEAST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    being the network is still open for another 1.5 years AT LEAST.
    Nope that phone won't be operational as of Jan 1st 2020. The only part of CDMA remaining open is for m2m and IoT. I wish people will get this already. You have 525 days left AT MOST.

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    in before the lock
    Lol

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Nope that phone won't be operational as of Jan 1st 2020. The only part of CDMA remaining open is for m2m and IoT. I wish people will get this already. You have 525 days left AT MOST.
    If CDMA coverage remains adequate for that time, it will still be supported by Apple until at least September of 2019. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple doesn't support it any further, since it has been a couple years now, I think, since it was the discounted phone on prepaid (replaced by the SE, 6, and 6s at different price points). So people buying it new had at least 2-3 years of OS upgrades.

Not the ideal phone for the last couple years on T-Mobile either, with no B12 or VoLTE.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If CDMA coverage remains adequate for that time, it will still be supported by Apple until at least September of 2019. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple doesn't support it any further, since it has been a couple years now, I think, since it was the discounted phone on prepaid (replaced by the SE, 6, and 6s at different price points). So people buying it new had at least 2-3 years of OS upgrades.

Not the ideal phone for the last couple years on T-Mobile either, with no B12 or VoLTE.
    Well the issue is that any new towers put up in the last few years didn't even have CDMA installed so that may be why people have issues and also as CDMA equipment fails it's not being replaced. So say you local tower getd hit with lightning and damages the equipment. Everything else but the CDMA radios will be fixed. People shouldn't assume that CDMA is going to run just hunky dory until Jan 1st 2020

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    I’d like to report that I successfully got the iPhone 5S activated by activating an iPhone 6S and then hot swapping the SIM card over to the iPhone 5S. Verizon still supports the phone completely, being the network is still open for another 1.5 years AT LEAST.
    Awesome. Thanks for reporting back!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Well the issue is that any new towers put up in the last few years didn't even have CDMA installed so that may be why people have issues and also as CDMA equipment fails it's not being replaced. So say you local tower getd hit with lightning and damages the equipment. Everything else but the CDMA radios will be fixed. People shouldn't assume that CDMA is going to run just hunky dory until Jan 1st 2020
    Which is why I said "if" and "adequate". Not great. In my area, VoLTE is better already than CDMA is for the interstate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5