Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5S - No longer activating non HD-supported devices?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5S - No longer activating non HD-supported devices?

In today's world, things are much different than they were 5-10 years ago. Carriers have become more competitive, and mostly manipulative. Today, I called into Verizon Corporate customer service line, to activate a used iPhone 5S onto one of my lines (postpaid account), and they were unable to coming back with an answer, so bizarre. I can't walk away from this one. They told me starting July 1st, 2018, they are no longer activating CDMA devices, ones that DO NOT support HD voice (also know as VoLTE, Voice over LTE). I asked the representative where I could read more about this on their website, and she was unable to provide me any details. She asked her "floor support", if there was any way to have this done manually, and while waiting on the phone for over 10 minutes, she came back with that not even technical support is able to activate it.

This is so crazy, considering there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of these "older devices" currently activated on their network. I know, I know, they are in the process of shutting down the old to bring in the new (LETS HOPE 5G LTE!). But this is crazy to me, even the manufacturer of the device is supporting the iPhone 5S, which is set to receive the new iOS 12 update this fall.

Could it be Verizon's greed is sinking in from all the competition? They are physically able to support thousands of previous generation devices, why not this one??

Comment below with any suggestions, news articles, and lets keep this discussion ON-TOPIC. Thanks for your input.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There may be a ton of them still activated, but it certainly makes sense that they aren't allowing any new ones to be added to their system, especially since they plan to shut off CDMA by the end of next year. It has nothing to do with greed, they just don't want devices being activated anymore that will have NO voice at the end of 2019, if for nothing else than safety.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 07-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Did you try a store? I'm planning on activating a 5s to replace a flip phone.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My store was told to sell through all 5s & Convoy 4 inventory (only two CDMA devices left in the store) before 6/30 or send it back to warehouse. That cutoff date it legit.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    See, if Verizon were more customer-friendly, they would offer you a discounted or free iPhone SE of equivalent or greater storage capacity, since it's basically just a 5s with spec bumps and VoLTE support.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    See, if Verizon were more customer-friendly, they would offer you a discounted or free iPhone SE of equivalent or greater storage capacity, since it's basically just a 5s with spec bumps and VoLTE support.
    There will probably be sales close to the cutoff in Dec 2019 for people still using old phones.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    There are several "discounted" devices available on Verizon's website right now. The OP is one of those people who would cry foul if Verizon just waited to the end date and cut these devices off in mid-conversation. It sounds to me like Verizon is making a good faith effort to get these non VOLTE devices off their network through attrition instead.

It wouldn't matter how Verizon went about this transition, there would be people crying about it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5S - No longer activating non HD-supported devices?

If you had a SIM card just stick it in the 5S. If you needed to activate a SIM card just use a newer iPhone IMEI that supports VoLTE when they ask for it, then stick the SIM in the 5S. Can’t imagine they’re outright blocking the device from running on the network if you stick an active sim in it.

Feedback Score
    The sad thing is that the modem in the 5S supports VoLTE, Apple just has chosen to not bundle the ability in the firmware (not iOS, the baseband firmware).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    In today's world, things are much different than they were 5-10 years ago. Carriers have become more competitive, and mostly manipulative. Today, I called into Verizon Corporate customer service line, to activate a used iPhone 5S onto one of my lines (postpaid account), and they were unable to coming back with an answer, so bizarre. I can't walk away from this one. They told me starting July 1st, 2018, they are no longer activating CDMA devices, ones that DO NOT support HD voice (also know as VoLTE, Voice over LTE). I asked the representative where I could read more about this on their website, and she was unable to provide me any details. She asked her "floor support", if there was any way to have this done manually, and while waiting on the phone for over 10 minutes, she came back with that not even technical support is able to activate it.

This is so crazy, considering there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of these "older devices" currently activated on their network. I know, I know, they are in the process of shutting down the old to bring in the new (LETS HOPE 5G LTE!). But this is crazy to me, even the manufacturer of the device is supporting the iPhone 5S, which is set to receive the new iOS 12 update this fall.

Could it be Verizon's greed is sinking in from all the competition? They are physically able to support thousands of previous generation devices, why not this one??

Comment below with any suggestions, news articles, and lets keep this discussion ON-TOPIC. Thanks for your input.
    As of July first any phones that are CDMA only for LTE but not do not have VoLTE can not be activated. Verizon is shutting down CDMA at the end of 2019 which mean VoLTE will be a MUST. Verizon is trying to get these devices off the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Did you try a store? I'm planning on activating a 5s to replace a flip phone.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Not going to work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    If you had a SIM card just stick it in the 5S. If you needed to activate a SIM card just use a newer iPhone IMEI that supports VoLTE when they ask for it, then stick the SIM in the 5S. Can’t imagine they’re outright blocking the device from running on the network if you stick an active sim in it.
    Even if that worked eventually that device will be a brick when it comes to making calls at least.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Why should they get a free phone? Do I get free phones? Nope. I have an old flip phone lying around haven't used in years maybe I should convince Verizon to give me a free smartphone to replace it. You post make no sense. When YOU upgrade will it be free? Nope. Why should a person that has a 5 year old device get a free phone when they can upgrade like everyone else does?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Why should they get a free phone? Do I get free phones? Nope. I have an old flip phone lying around haven't used in years maybe I should convince Verizon to give me a free smartphone to replace it. You post make no sense. When YOU upgrade will it be free? Nope. Why should a person that has a 5 year old device get a free phone when they can upgrade like everyone else does?
    You mean trade in credit for your old device? You never heard of that? I'm surprised?

Many carriers allow you to bring in an older device and they give you credit towards a new one. In some cases if the devices are close in value its a wash and in others they ask you to pay the difference over time or all at once. Sometimes they allow you to do this with upgrades or for new lines of service.

It never hurts to ask or try.

This is also common carrier practice when they plan to shutter a network, when they are tying to get you to port in or during an acquisition. At some point those with legacy devices will be asked to upgrade and Verizon likely will be given them promos to migrate away... at some point.

When T-Mobile launched their EIP program years ago they asked for the user to bring in any smartphone as a trade for credit. You literally could bring a $19 dollar Android phone from Wal-Mart and still receive the $400 credit towards the new device.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Because historically, every time a cellular carrier has stopped activating a generation of phones due to shutting down support for them, they have offered discounted or free (albeit bottom-of-the-line) replacements so that customers can keep paying them money.

And besides, it's not like an iPhone SE is expensive. It would barely affect Verizon's bottom line to push them to people on iPhones 5s and older.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast