Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop appears to be reducing free "friends" data from 500MB to 50MB max

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaopt View Post
    If you give up FP, where will you go instead? Nobody else will give you the amount of data you were used to for free either.
    This is true- but I'll just go back to not having extra data in my devices. Once upon a time, my kids would ask me to hotspot to play Pokemon on their devices, and having freedompop meant that they could go out and play without that. Also, I could reach them and message them to come home, etc. It was also handy to have a laptop with a GSM slot which could get online for a short bouts in between wifi access, but again- I could always go back to relying on hotspot use. I already get 5GB of LTE on Cricket for $20, and my phone lets me hotspot for free (although if I use it too much, I'm told they'll complain... it has never happened yet).

Basically, it was worth it for free. If I have to pay for it, I'll have to reconsider how much I really want to feed my kids' Pokemon addiction.
    Although being able to reach them when they're away from home sure was reassuring. That part might have spoiled me enough to be worth paying something a month, I just don't know if I want to or how much yet.

If you have to pay someone... can you do better than under $5/mo for the 1GB/mo FP annual plan? It does include unlimited FP VOIP minutes. Of course if you are using a lot more data than that, other options could be better, perhaps Red Pocket or Mint Mobile.
    Right, well, FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7, but Red Pocket or Mint Mobile use real minutes which are preferable IMO. But its true, FP is still the best deal if I get the prepaid line. But how badly do I want to do that, considering I already pay for reliable service on my own phone line? These were nice to haves, not essentials. (Wish my kids saw it the same way though! LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The sound quality of all the VOIP services and apps depends on the CODEC they use. The higher bandwidth the CODEC uses the better the sound quality.
    Well, all things being equal yes, but codecs are way more complicated than that. A more efficient codec could technically have better sound quality on less bandwidth, but then choke on phones with DSPs that weren't designed to keep up with it. Sort of like how my Wii installed in the car (long story...) can stream netflix over mobile data, but uses a LOT MORE bandwidth for a standard def image than my laptop can get for a higher resolution HD one. Because the Wii isn't capable of some of the newer codecs (ie, isn't fast enough to decode in real time), it has to fall back to a less compressed one that needs more data. Anyway, whatever... compression is one of those complicated topics that is never as simple as people try to say it is.

Oddly enough, some people don't like the sound of high bandwidth VOIP. They are not used to hearing the higher frequencies (>3 KHz) on a phone call and think it sounds tinny.
    Odd, I was under the impression it was the other way around. The less dynamic range available, the more tinny it sounds, because the rest of the range is being compressed into oblivion. The reason I thought VOIP calls sounded Tinny was because of the way the handsets have to dance around latency and bandwidth with a reasonable margin for error. It is capable of sounding better than cellular, but in practice they dial back the resources to make it more reliable. It also gets processed by a different part of the phone, so the audio handling is different. Many reasons VOIP sounds different, for better or worse.
    MY issue with VOIP calls is that the towers don't hand them off as well as voice calls. So when driving, for example, the call has a higher tendency to drop versus a smooth handoff with cellular voice. This is why I prefer voice calls to data calls. The quality I don't care much one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

I spent many happy hours getting paid pretty well to look at spectrum analyzer waterfall displays. Apropos of nothing, I remember the first time I got to Fry's in Silicon Valley. You could actually walk in the store and pick a $20,000 logic analyzer off the shelf like a loaf of bread, along with many other amazing things.
    Are you talking about the one in Palo Alto, off El Camino? I love that one. Haven't been in years.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    My son went on a camp overnight this past week so I installed the FP app on his phone. He previously just used the LTE SIM for pokemon and to call me on hangouts/Duo, but I didn't want him running up the data meter with VOIP calls so I decided its time to try the FP app.

I have to admit- the service got a LOT better than it was last time I tried their calling app. The new one (FP Messaging, not the old FP app) actually had more than decent call quality... I could tell it wasn't regular voice, but it sounded as good or better than VoLTE/VoWiFi in my opinion. And this was while he was on a bus in the middle of the PA mountains. It was definitely better and more reliable than Hangouts or Google's voice calling to me. I wish I had tried it earlier, because 2 days after I made this discovery of usable voice, I find out we may have to give up our FP usage because there's no way we can keep to 250mb a month without going over. Its a real shame.
    Are FreedomPop to FreedomPop calls still free/not counted???

Feedback Score
    ...Well, all things being equal yes, but codecs are way more complicated than that. A more efficient codec could technically have better sound quality on less bandwidth, but then choke on phones with DSPs that weren't designed to keep up with it. Sort of like how my Wii installed in the car (long story...) can stream netflix over mobile data, but uses a LOT MORE bandwidth for a standard def image than my laptop can get for a higher resolution HD one. Because the Wii isn't capable of some of the newer codecs (ie, isn't fast enough to decode in real time), it has to fall back to a less compressed one that needs more data. Anyway, whatever... compression is one of those complicated topics that is never as simple as people try to say it is.
    Right, it gets complicated. The carriers trade between bandwidth used, satisfaction with sound quality, and what phones it will work on. I was not trying give a complete discussion of the subject in a HoFo post.

Odd, I was under the impression it was the other way around. The less dynamic range available, the more tinny it sounds, because the rest of the range is being compressed into oblivion. The reason I thought VOIP calls sounded Tinny was because of the way the handsets have to dance around latency and bandwidth with a reasonable margin for error. It is capable of sounding better than cellular, but in practice they dial back the resources to make it more reliable. It also gets processed by a different part of the phone, so the audio handling is different. Many reasons VOIP sounds different, for better or worse.
    Yeah I was just guessing that a higher bandwidth channel passing higher frequencies was the cause of people saying it is tinny since they are not used to hearing above 3000 Hz on a phone call. I have mostly heard the tinny observation about VoLTE. I don't have VoLTE to experience it.

MY issue with VOIP calls is that the towers don't hand them off as well as voice calls. So when driving, for example, the call has a higher tendency to drop versus a smooth handoff with cellular voice. This is why I prefer voice calls to data calls. The quality I don't care much one way or the other.
    Yeah I would expect VOIP over the general Internet to have problems like that. I assume they do better with real VoLTE. FP voice has never worked reliably for me even over good home Wifi. I never bothered to try it while mobile.

Are you talking about the one in Palo Alto, off El Camino? I love that one. Haven't been in years.
    We were in Sunnyvale. The Fry's was somewhere near there. I'm pretty sure it was not all the way to Palo Alto. Coming from a town with nothing more than a Radio Shack, it was amazing.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Note the Red Pocket 500MB/100min/100SMS per month for 1 year SIM dropped to $49.00 on eBay right now. That's works out to $4.08 per month.

Feedback Score
    Dishe, can you please post a link to the "FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7" that you mentioned? Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles I have the Global 200 Basic Plan.

I have the Global 200 Basic Plan.
    Yes, I do pay the $4.99 a month thank you very much.
    It just renewed with 250MB.

Unlike many [most?] here, I have a phone for each SIM I have.
    The only thing approaching swapping is I have a dual SIM phone that I
    have to remove one of the SIMs so that the other will work when I want it to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

I ordered the "FreedomPop 3-in-1 LTE SIM Kit 12-Month Prepaid Plan (Unlimited Talk, Text, & 1GB Data)" from Target, which for me is $3.82/mo, paid $45.84/yr ($44.99-$2.50 Red Card=$42.74+$0.21 e911+$2.89 Tax) for the 1GB (+50MB) of AT&T LTE data monthly.

Right, well, FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Dishe, can you please post a link to the "FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7" that you mentioned? Thanks!
    On Friday I received the SIM kit I ordered from Target. But I haven't activated it yet.

Dishe, can you, or anybody, tell me how to get the FP 5GB plan for less than $7/mo that Dishe mentioned above?

I will definitely return the 1GB plan to Target if I can find the "FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7" that Dishe mentioned.

Anybody?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Dishe, can you please post a link to the "FP also has a 5GB plan for less than $7" that you mentioned?

Poster is most likely mistaken. I count SlickDeals as the foremost authority on all things cheap, and it shows no such deal. You've followed FP's paid plans closely yourself. The only cheap FP 5GB plan is what you posted, $150/yr ($12.5/mo). That's already dirt cheap for AT&T data.
    I thought so, too. But I'm always willing to be proven wrong. I will be happy if Dishe knows something I don't know. There's always the possibility. But if not, I'll be happy with 1GB/mo for $3.82/mo.

Feedback Score

Question Is it really that easy?

Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Keep in mind that if you buy a yearly plan, they send you 3 SIMs, and you can transfer the line between networks, so if one network didn't work out you have the option to switch.
    Are you sure? Their FAQ says that "An inter-transfer is treated as a new activation and new plan purchase." Is it not as bad as they make it out to be?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    Are you sure? Their FAQ says that "An inter-transfer is treated as a new activation and new plan purchase." Is it not as bad as they make it out to be?
    I think that the ebay deal is considered 12 stacked 30 day plans. See below for reports of those that have reported successful carrier switches.
    https://howardforums.com/showthread....uring-contract

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    sorry to get everyone excited, it was a typo, I meant 5GB under $13 a month, not 7. And slickdeals is NOT the end-all be-all of all things cheap freedompop. Amazon had the prepaid annual plans for a bit less than Target, especially if you leverage cashback things like AMZ Store cards. Everyone on Slickdeals kept saying you could only get it through Target, which was incorrect, and I only found out about other option on other websites discussing it.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    The FreedomPop 12-month / 1GB per month SIM is currently available for around $30 thanks to a Target $20 off $50 promo. See this thread on Slickdeals. With taxes, fees and buying a cheap filler item it works out to about $2.75/month.

Edit: Target $20 off $50 may be dead already
    Last edited by djphilosophy; 07-16-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the accounts also just renewed to the 250 MB. I'm curious what the 500 gb lte account will renew to. That one cycles in a little over 2 weeks.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Fascinating; perhaps it can work after all!

Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    I think that the ebay deal is considered 12 stacked 30 day plans. See below for reports of those that have reported successful carrier switches.
    https://howardforums.com/showthread....uring-contract
    Interesting. Thanks for the link; I'll have to check it out.

Feedback Score
    This is really good news

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast