Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Wireless Moto G6 Forge ( Moto G6 Play 16GB ) now available

Feedback Score
    Follow-up--I used it not quite a month, and it's possible that mine was a bad sample, but it ended up frustrating me and I got rid of it. I have the E5 Plus/Supra now, and I'm much happier with it.

The main problem--phone-call reception in challenging areas. Strangely enough, for Internet it tended to be fine (with a few exceptions) but phone calls were another matter. Calls to it (I used a spare phone) would commonly go to voicemail, calls FROM it would fail. It was absolutely no match for my wife's Moto E5 Play/Cruz, my ZTE Blade Spark, or the Supra I have now. All did/do WAY better in challenging areas.

Moreover, it seemed to keep giving me "false positives" in terms of signal strength in these areas. I would try & place a call with 2 or even 3 bars showing, it would fail to call and start showing 1 bar then none then drop--then when I hung up the bars returned. Even giving Cricket my IMEI number and having them provision a few things still didn't solve the problem, although it made it a LITTLE better. Although the Internet tended to be better, there were times it too would struggle, showing an awful lot of "latency" to where it would take forever to "initiate," and sometimes flat-out fail in trying.

Those other phones--no problems at all.

Also, at times, when I would be successful at calling, when trying to hang up it would refuse to hang up, sometimes I would even have to turn the phone OFF for it to manage to end the call.

Moreover, some posts I've seen at Lenovo seem to indicate that many G6 Play owners are having similar stories--their G5 Plus (for example) worked fine, their G6 Play is an absolute headcase.

It's ashame, because the reviews on the unlocked G6 Play tended to be good, and this being a $100 model vs the $200 for the unlocked, it would seem to be a good deal. It would seem to be a good "sanely-sized" E5 Plus if you will. Alas, unless my model was a bad sample, it seems that unless you will only use this phone in places with outstanding service, this model is to be avoided.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Cricket Moto G6 Forge (Moto G6 play)(from Target ) and have used it for a couple of weeks. I haven't experienced unusual reception problems compared to my other Cricket phones in weak areas so far. Maybe larryxeast did receive a defective phone.

It is not as good as the Cricket Moto E5 Supra (Moto E Plus) but I like the size and weight better and the price was less.

[QUOTE=larrytxeast;17014252]Follow-up--I used it not quite a month, and it's possible that mine was a bad sample, but it ended up frustrating me and I got rid of it. I have the E5 Plus/Supra now, and I'm much happier with it.
    ---snip---
    Last edited by bamx2; 08-20-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Is VoLTE available on the Moto G6 Forge?

Feedback Score
    VoLTE (w HD voice) is available on this phone, also WIFI calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Is VoLTE available on the Moto G6 Forge?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    VoLTE (w HD voice) is available on this phone, also WIFI calling.
    Is VoLTE turned on by default out of the box

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    yes it is

QUOTE=Digital Rules;17016295]Is VoLTE turned on by default out of the box

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app[/QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    Can I get a Cricket G6 Forge and use it on Sprint?
    do I just get the right Sprint sim the BYOD?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skiernaustin View Post
    Can I get a Cricket G6 Forge and use it on Sprint?
    do I just get the right Sprint sim the BYOD?
    Thanks!
    Cricket phones are locked to cricket wireless.

Feedback Score
    Yes, but can we unlock a Cricket phone and use it on any CDMA networks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computercrashed View Post
    The phone is locked to cricket for 6 months
    Of active service, after the 6 months you can
    Request to have the phone unlocked.

Depending on the phone model you'd have to
    Find out if Verizon or Sprint will allow the
    Phone on their network.

Feedback Score
    I had my dad pick up one of these to replace his ZTE Blade V8 Pro which was having call quality/reception issues at his house. I'm guessing AT&T has switched bands that it was using in the area because it worked perfectly anywhere else.

I am very impressed by what you get for $99. The Volte/HD voice makes his calls sound amazingly clear to my S8 versus struggling to hear him before with the V8 Pro. The hardware is very nice and surprisingly premium feeling. It felt nearly as nice as my S8. I also really liked Moto's very light skin on Android. Battery life has been great. Doesn't seem to have any issues feeling snappy with only 2GB of Ram. I was a little disappointed it is Micro USB instead of USB Type C. Also, it doesn't come with Moto's rapid charger. So, you'd need to get one to access rapid charging which is built in. Neither of these were important to my dad. He just charges overnight and going back to micro USB is more appealing to him (his other devices use Micro USB).

Just figured I'd throw in another data point if any of you were considering this phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp21 View Post
    I am very impressed by what you get for $99.
    Even better, my local Best Buy sells this phone for $80 for new activations. The screen is 720p instead of 1080p, but looking at the 5.7" screen I can't notice the difference.

The down side...the APN settings didn't work out the box, with in inexcusable for a Cricket branded locked phone. To get SMS working, here are the directions under manual configurations:
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...n-android.html

Feedback Score
    Cricket hasn't been cdma for several years now. I would doubt their phones work on those carriers very well.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The down side...the APN settings didn't work out the box, with in inexcusable for a Cricket branded locked phone. To get SMS working, here are the directions under manual configurations:
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...n-android.html
    Curious. His phone worked fine right out of the box when I set it up. Is your phone somehow the factory unlocked G6 Play? Maybe switched somewhere?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp21 View Post
    Curious. His phone worked fine right out of the box when I set it up. Is your phone somehow the factory unlocked G6 Play? Maybe switched somewhere?
    No, I have the Forge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast