Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: If T-Mobile and Sprint Merge will the U.S wireless market become the next Canada?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ATTENTION:

Please people, give it a rest. There are many who come to this site for information and good discussion, yet a few of you are hell-bent on ruining it for them. STOP IT. I've tried to clean up some of this thread, and some of you have once again earned vacations for your misbehavior. I will not tolerate any of you getting personal with each other. This is a forum for cellular phone and services discussion, populated by people who use the phones and services. Please start acting like civilized, intelligent people and stop mucking up this section with your petty ********.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread and discussion of cellular phones and services....

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    The problem with TMobile is it's always a "wait for this, or wait for that". Wait for band 12. Ok, got band 12 but still performance issues..Wait for band 71 with all that increased bandwidth. Ok, got band 71 but it's just like band 12. Ok, wait for ca then things will be great. All that waiting and the bill increase didn't wait. One plan and they take away kickback so the uncarrier is gone

Now you need a new phone and need to pay a fee.

At that point it's time to get service that works now. I want TMobile to do well but the aren't the saints they claim and others claim them to be

Now on the other end of the spectrum, TMobile has gotten tons better and will continue to imrpove so it's not all doom and gloom. Their rural coverage has improved also and band 71 build should help that as more gets available but they can't quit now. Some places TMobile kicks butt while others they need work. Just like any other carrier
    I can see how one might be frustrated with the apparent need to wait for improvements, etc. Especially if you're in an area where service isn't so good UNTIL those improvements come along (which I think isn't as common a situation as it was 5 or 6 years ago).

I'm lucky in that my T-MOBILE service has ALWAYS worked really well since day one. I'm happy with my service even without 600 or 700. When those arrive, and if I upgrade my phone (when I'm ready) and things get even better... that's cool. I think the fact that Tmo has been able to advance so quickly over the past 3 to 4 years is amazing. When Sprint was rolling out LTE, Tmo left them in the dust.

So, I guess it just depends whether the service does what you need RIGHT NOW in the areas that you are in the most.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The next Canada, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They haven't even merged yet and we can already see all 4 networks are bumping up their prices almost in unison.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I really feel our sub forums are served best when we contribute, share ideas, news, tips and support each other. Remember why this specific sub forum was created and who it serves.

Insulting actual T-Mobile customers who post here or those who are trying to get information on new products and services really does this sub forum a disservice. Instead of discussing the thread we start discussing eachother looking for faults.

I don't know about you but I hope we can move on from the constant bashing of real current customers and enthusiasts who like to contribute. I think we've beaten up this dead horse of a thread for far too long.
    I think that it's important for those of us with accurate information to educate forum visitors that might otherwise be misled by people shilling for a company.

Personal attacks are not productive, but pointing out when someone is not telling the truth is entirely appropriate.

Beware of how sensitive some people are about being called out, even when it's just in general, and not by name. I was "banned" for one day and I have no idea why. I don't recall ever doing anything other than pointing out the fact regarding the differences between carriers, which is what these forums are all about. But someone complained to someone. Very odd.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    The next Canada, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And that is the best response of all! Now I'm going to go and eat some poutine.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Man has this topic gone sideways or what, what say we get back to the original topic “If T-Mobile and Sprint Merge will the U.S wireless market become the next Canada?”
    Absolutely. If this merger occurs then we'll all be eating poutine, curling, eating at Tim Horton's, drinking Moosehead beer, not using pennies, talking funny, and we'll have national health care. That's why this merger must be stopped.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I can see how one might be frustrated with the apparent need to wait for improvements, etc. Especially if you're in an area where service isn't so good UNTIL those improvements come along (which I think isn't as common a situation as it was 5 or 6 years ago)....
    Been waiting for T-Mo since about 2005. Still no good here and I don't live anywhere like Northern Nevada.

Don't care really. I have other options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I was "banned" for one day and I have no idea why.
    Then you can PM the moderator to discuss. It's off-topic to discuss in this thread.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetz View Post
    Curious on everyone’s thoughts on this. Some people genuinely think that if Sprint merges into T-Mobile, prices will increase. With less competition and stuff... what are everyone’s thoughts?
    It's not a merger of two second tier carriers that will cause price increases, it's if the merged carrier can compete against the top two carriers and no longer has to offer their product at a lower price.

A merger alone doesn't fix the Sprint and T-Mobile coverage issues. new cell towers don't grow out of the ground, it's a long, expensive process to get a cell designed, approved, permitted, constructed, and deployed. A third national carrier with good coverage might bring prices down for full-service postpaid, but raise prices on cut-rate, decontented services.

Feedback Score
    It's not a merger of two second tier carriers that will cause price increases, it's if the merged carrier can compete against the top two carriers and no longer has to offer their product at a lower price.
    If they are offering comparable service, then they should charge a comparable price. But that's the result of a level playing field and competition.

A merger alone doesn't fix the Sprint and T-Mobile coverage issues. new cell towers don't grow out of the ground, it's a long, expensive process to get a cell designed, approved, permitted, constructed, and deployed.
    However, a merged T-Mobile/Sprint will have more resources to deploy those solutions, they'll have more revenue, greater economical efficiencies, and with their high band spectrum, they'll be uniquely able to deliver items like video and home internet.

They'll also be able to compete for corporate customers and government contracts as well. AT&T and Verizon doesn't want to see a strong third competitor who will go after their bread & butter. Two weaker competitors are much better for them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If they are offering comparable service, then they should charge a comparable price. But that's the result of a level playing field and competition.

However, a merged T-Mobile/Sprint will have more resources to deploy those solutions, they'll have more revenue, greater economical efficiencies, and with their high band spectrum, they'll be uniquely able to deliver items like video and home internet.

They'll also be able to compete for corporate customers and government contracts as well. AT&T and Verizon doesn't want to see a strong third competitor who will go after their bread & butter. Two weaker competitors are much better for them.
    AT&T and Verizon have not spoken out against the merger. They're probably thrilled with it, at least in the long term because if T-Mobile becomes a third top-tier competitor then they don't have Sprint and T-Mobile competing solely on price and dragging down the ARPU. There's little danger of T-Mobile acquiring the corporate customers from AT&T or Verizon, it takes something really bad for a switch like that to occur and these instances are rare (like the Nextel fiasco).

It wasn't so long ago when Sprint actually had the highest ARPU because they had all those high-cost Nextel customers pulling up the average. Those customers have almost all departed for Verizon and AT&T. I think that the Nextel fiasco, combined with Sprint's ill-advised WiMax foray, was what pushed them over the edge.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    However, a merged T-Mobile/Sprint will have more resources to deploy those solutions
    After what time period, though?

So they go through with the merger and then they have the deal with decommissioning redundant sites, paying lease payments on those redundant sites until shut down, buying new equipment to work with the combined network, and installing the new equipment across the board to work with the existing equipment (assuming they're replacing two sets of antennas in redundant sites to make things work.

That takes time and money, both of which has been quoted as something like $40B over 3 years (I think Neville said this). But that doesn't account for expansion which will cost, separately, a lot more and money that might not available.

Even if a merger goes through I could see some wheels spinning while AT&T and Verizon use their CapEx to expand and upgrade just as they have while the combination and Sprint and T-Mobile figure the combo out and also scramble to figure out how to catch up.

Feedback Score
    AT&T and Verizon have not spoken out against the merger. They're probably thrilled with it,
    No company wants to be competing against a stronger competitor. The whole point of competition is you're trying to make your competitor weaker.

T-Mobile has been leading the industry in net additions for a long time now. Combing the Sprint resources with theirs means they have more weapons to deploy to steal customers. What good is higher ARPU if another company is poaching your customers?

There's little danger of T-Mobile acquiring the corporate customers from AT&T or Verizon, it takes something really bad for a switch like that to occur
    No all it takes is a comparable or better network and a lower price. It happens in business all the time. Somebody offers you a lower price and they come in and take that business. If AT&T and Verizon has the same complacent attitude about their corporate customers that you do, Legere would love to steal the business away.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    After what time period, though?
    It doesn't take long. T-Mobile is continuing to expand on their own. They purchased nationwide 600 MHz spectrum and they are already rolling it out. Neville has already described how this merger will go. They'll move a lot of Sprint customers with compatible phones onto the T-Mobile LTE network right away. T-Mobile is already in the midst of doing mid-band upgrades. (see the other thread.)

Then they can start using Sprint's spectrum to carry T-Mobile's signal and leave smaller & smaller portions for existing Sprint customers with old phones.

Then finally they start moving everyone T-Mobile & Sprint customers to the 5G network. So it's a pretty easy thing for them to do.

Even if a merger goes through I could see some wheels spinning while AT&T and Verizon use their CapEx to expand and upgrade just as they have while the combination and Sprint and T-Mobile figure the combo out and also scramble to figure out how to catch up.
    Sprint & T-Mobile won't be scrambling. As for AT&T, they may be more focused on monetizing their investments in dying industries like cable and satellite, that they can't focus on competing with T-Mobile's 5G roll out. Maybe AT&T will be the ones having to discount rates to cover for their poorer service.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    They haven't even merged yet and we can already see all 4 networks are bumping up their prices almost in unison.

I am paying less today for more data than I was in 2013 when I moved to T-Mobile. Fact is I am paying about half as much as I ever payed for any of the other major network service before I moved to T-Mobile/MetroPCS.

T-Mobile has merged with iWireless and gave the iWireless customer a 20% discount on T-Mobile ONE with AutoPay when you switch from iWireless.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 07-14-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast