Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Sim switch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    124
    Feedback Score
    0

    Sim switch

    Will MetroPCS end the need to chat or call in to swap phones?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,686
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajet7 View Post
    Will MetroPCS end the need to chat or call in to swap phones?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Probably not. At least not until they decide to invest money into upgrading their activation back-end. Now if they decide to do something like transition all MetroPCS/Boost/VM brands to Sprint, perhaps they'll reorganize their prepaid section. I really think they should get rid of the "PCS" from MetroPCS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not unless their numbers take a nosedive and they trace it back to not being able to swap sims as being the cause. Then they may invest to upgrade the system. But as long as they can just offer some free devices and it cures any drop in numbers short term, I don't think they change a thing system wise. Companies usually only change something when not changing it ends up costing them money.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    701
    Feedback Score
    0
    i doubt they will anytime soon

    they see the sim pairing as going hand in hand with being bale to heavily subsidized phones.

    it helps them keep more of the free/cheap phones on the new lines and/or upgrade eligible lines they were intended for. they don't want large numbers of people adding a line for a free phone and than rotating the SIM's as opposed to paying the higher upgrade pricing. of course people still find ways to move the phones around but the pairing help limit how often it happens.

    due to business rules that go along with the promos as well it keeps the dealers from assisting customers on the handset moving on recent activation's. that encourages the dealer to sell the higher priced upgrade instead of pushing the activation and than move the SIMs for the customer,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,080
    Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i doubt they will anytime soon

    they see the sim pairing as going hand in hand with being bale to heavily subsidized phones.

    it helps them keep more of the free/cheap phones on the new lines and/or upgrade eligible lines they were intended for. they don't want large numbers of people adding a line for a free phone and than rotating the SIM's as opposed to paying the higher upgrade pricing. of course people still find ways to move the phones around but the pairing help limit how often it happens.

    due to business rules that go along with the promos as well it keeps the dealers from assisting customers on the handset moving on recent activation's. that encourages the dealer to sell the higher priced upgrade instead of pushing the activation and than move the SIMs for the customer,
    Other than having the sim tied to a handset and having to call be on the phone for 10 min, is there really any difference?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    56
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Probably not. At least not until they decide to invest money into upgrading their activation back-end. Now if they decide to do something like transition all MetroPCS/Boost/VM brands to Sprint, perhaps they'll reorganize their prepaid section. I really think they should get rid of the "PCS" from MetroPCS.
    This is recipe for further confusion. People who have never heard of MetroPCS occasionally come to our store to pay for transportation lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    56
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i doubt they will anytime soon

    they see the sim pairing as going hand in hand with being bale to heavily subsidized phones.

    it helps them keep more of the free/cheap phones on the new lines and/or upgrade eligible lines they were intended for. they don't want large numbers of people adding a line for a free phone and than rotating the SIM's as opposed to paying the higher upgrade pricing. of course people still find ways to move the phones around but the pairing help limit how often it happens.

    due to business rules that go along with the promos as well it keeps the dealers from assisting customers on the handset moving on recent activation's. that encourages the dealer to sell the higher priced upgrade instead of pushing the activation and than move the SIMs for the customer,
    FURTHERMORE
    people who leave the store after upgrading with the intention to swap devices DISQUALIFIES dealers from reimbursement if done the same day. If done the next day, dealer is reimbursed. If done after 7 days, dealer receives commission as well. Unfortunately, this loophole will always be used by customers to get the lowest price even if it means jeopardizing their other lines' upgrade date but most don't care since they can just get a new line/phone and swap, then cancel their new number. Corp loves this loophole because less reimbursements/commission is paid to dealers. Many dealers refer to DSG as 'disqualification support group" lol since customer service works for corp, not dealers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,080
    Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kor3anking View Post
    FURTHERMORE
    people who leave the store after upgrading with the intention to swap devices DISQUALIFIES dealers from reimbursement if done the same day. If done the next day, dealer is reimbursed. If done after 7 days, dealer receives commission as well. Unfortunately, this loophole will always be used by customers to get the lowest price even if it means jeopardizing their other lines' upgrade date but most don't care since they can just get a new line/phone and swap, then cancel their new number. Corp loves this loophole because less reimbursements/commission is paid to dealers. Many dealers refer to DSG as 'disqualification support group" lol since customer service works for corp, not dealers.
    How much is this commission?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,080
    Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did i read somewhere t-m & metro Sims are reusable?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    56
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    How much is this commission?
    new activations: $55 from metropcs
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 from metropcs

    but all phones currently have a - $7 net loss so
    new activations: $55 - $7 = $48
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 -$7 = $53

    This is the same for all phones, even the expensive Iphones which cost more than the MSRP, same with most androids. Sometimes androids have discounts from the MSRP but still cost more to dealers than customers.

    Commissions changed to this a few months ago, but prior to the change, the most we made on the phone before commission was $12. YEP ONLY $12, on the high end Samsung/Iphones.

    There are other losses too but to get into that would take forever but I will explain a little. The above $48/$53 does not include other losses, making the margins even lower. Corporate provides a spreadsheet of all the qualified/disqualified sales for reimbursements/commission. They tell us how much we are getting paid but once you reverse engineer the math, there are other losses. Only the smart owners who check it with full detail realize it.

    That's all dealers make. Accessories have the biggest profit and dealer keeps it all, minus sales tax of course. Without accessories, it will be way harder to turn a profit since accessories have 70% to 95%+ margins compared to 4% to 30% phone margnis. Keep in mind that all phones cost more to dealers than it cost customers.

    Luckily the month of May, we had no disqualifications since we train our employees well to read the behaviors of shady people that walk daily into our store. We know many people have plans to cancel and flip phones, device swap, port in then port back out with the high risk of not receiving reimbursements/commissions. However, we did have some cancellations after a few weeks due to resellers which hurts our KPI scoring which results in a $200 monthly fine from the master dealer (24 or 27 locations owner). This is the Los Angeles market. I am aware other markets don't have to deal with this bs penalty.

    It is obviously uncontrollable from our end on what the customer does after they walk out the door but corporate punishes us with no reimbursements/commission. Ironically, cancellations make metroPCS more money while dealers have to take ALL THE RISKS AND LOSSES.
    Last edited by kor3anking; 06-26-2018 at 01:00 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,080
    Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kor3anking View Post
    new activations: $55 from metropcs
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 from metropcs

    but all phones currently have a - $7 net loss so
    new activations: $55 - $7 = $48
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 -$7 = $53

    This is the same for all phones, even the expensive Iphones which cost more than the MSRP, same with most androids. Sometimes androids have discounts from the MSRP but still cost more to dealers than customers.

    Commissions changed to this a few months ago, but prior to the change, the most we made on the phone before commission was $12. YEP ONLY $12, on the high end Samsung/Iphones.

    There are other losses too but to get into that would take forever but I will explain a little. The above $48/$53 does not include other losses, making the margins even lower. Corporate provides a spreadsheet of all the qualified/disqualified sales for reimbursements/commission. They tell us how much we are getting paid but once you reverse engineer the math, there are other losses. Only the smart owners who check it with full detail realize it.

    That's all dealers make. Accessories have the biggest profit and dealer keeps it all, minus sales tax of course. Without accessories, it will be way harder to turn a profit since accessories have 70% to 95%+ margins compared to 4% to 30% phone margnis. Keep in mind that all phones cost more to dealers than it cost customers.

    Luckily the month of May, we had no disqualifications since we train our employees well to read the behaviors of shady people that walk daily into our store. We know many people have plans to cancel and flip phones, device swap, port in then port back out with the high risk of not receiving reimbursements/commissions. However, we did have some cancellations after a few weeks due to resellers which hurts our KPI scoring which results in a $200 monthly fine from the master dealer (24 or 27 locations owner). This is the Los Angeles market. I am aware other markets don't have to deal with this bs penalty.

    It is obviously uncontrollable from our end on what the customer does after they walk out the door but corporate punishes us with no reimbursements/commission. Ironically, cancellations make metroPCS more money while dealers have to take ALL THE RISKS AND LOSSES.
    What is the reimbursement amount.
    After the activation, is there any monthly residual to the activating dealer from the monthly service fee, or any source item other than above?

    The above info tends to make me more supportive of dealers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    236
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kor3anking View Post
    new activations: $55 from metropcs
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 from metropcs

    but all phones currently have a - $7 net loss so
    new activations: $55 - $7 = $48
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 -$7 = $53

    This is the same for all phones, even the expensive Iphones which cost more than the MSRP, same with most androids. Sometimes androids have discounts from the MSRP but still cost more to dealers than customers.

    Commissions changed to this a few months ago, but prior to the change, the most we made on the phone before commission was $12. YEP ONLY $12, on the high end Samsung/Iphones.

    There are other losses too but to get into that would take forever but I will explain a little. The above $48/$53 does not include other losses, making the margins even lower. Corporate provides a spreadsheet of all the qualified/disqualified sales for reimbursements/commission. They tell us how much we are getting paid but once you reverse engineer the math, there are other losses. Only the smart owners who check it with full detail realize it.

    That's all dealers make. Accessories have the biggest profit and dealer keeps it all, minus sales tax of course. Without accessories, it will be way harder to turn a profit since accessories have 70% to 95%+ margins compared to 4% to 30% phone margnis. Keep in mind that all phones cost more to dealers than it cost customers.

    Luckily the month of May, we had no disqualifications since we train our employees well to read the behaviors of shady people that walk daily into our store. We know many people have plans to cancel and flip phones, device swap, port in then port back out with the high risk of not receiving reimbursements/commissions. However, we did have some cancellations after a few weeks due to resellers which hurts our KPI scoring which results in a $200 monthly fine from the master dealer (24 or 27 locations owner). This is the Los Angeles market. I am aware other markets don't have to deal with this bs penalty.

    It is obviously uncontrollable from our end on what the customer does after they walk out the door but corporate punishes us with no reimbursements/commission. Ironically, cancellations make metroPCS more money while dealers have to take ALL THE RISKS AND LOSSES.
    I switched to my pixel that same day hours after I got home. Dude lied so I dont feel any remorse.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    165
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kor3anking View Post
    new activations: $55 from metropcs
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 from metropcs

    but all phones currently have a - $7 net loss so
    new activations: $55 - $7 = $48
    upgrades: $10 (from customer) +$50 -$7 = $53

    This is the same for all phones, even the expensive Iphones which cost more than the MSRP, same with most androids. Sometimes androids have discounts from the MSRP but still cost more to dealers than customers.

    Commissions changed to this a few months ago, but prior to the change, the most we made on the phone before commission was $12. YEP ONLY $12, on the high end Samsung/Iphones.

    There are other losses too but to get into that would take forever but I will explain a little. The above $48/$53 does not include other losses, making the margins even lower. Corporate provides a spreadsheet of all the qualified/disqualified sales for reimbursements/commission. They tell us how much we are getting paid but once you reverse engineer the math, there are other losses. Only the smart owners who check it with full detail realize it.

    That's all dealers make. Accessories have the biggest profit and dealer keeps it all, minus sales tax of course. Without accessories, it will be way harder to turn a profit since accessories have 70% to 95%+ margins compared to 4% to 30% phone margnis. Keep in mind that all phones cost more to dealers than it cost customers.

    Luckily the month of May, we had no disqualifications since we train our employees well to read the behaviors of shady people that walk daily into our store. We know many people have plans to cancel and flip phones, device swap, port in then port back out with the high risk of not receiving reimbursements/commissions. However, we did have some cancellations after a few weeks due to resellers which hurts our KPI scoring which results in a $200 monthly fine from the master dealer (24 or 27 locations owner). This is the Los Angeles market. I am aware other markets don't have to deal with this bs penalty.

    It is obviously uncontrollable from our end on what the customer does after they walk out the door but corporate punishes us with no reimbursements/commission. Ironically, cancellations make metroPCS more money while dealers have to take ALL THE RISKS AND LOSSES.
    Thanks for the insight. The change of unlock period from 90 days to 180 days by MetroPCS made a huge impact on cancellation. Before people would stay for 4 months and may leave after that. Now it is just much cheaper to get eBay unlock service instead of paying for 6 months service in order to get phones unlocked.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,305
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    Thanks for the insight. The change of unlock period from 90 days to 180 days by MetroPCS made a huge impact on cancellation. Before people would stay for 4 months and may leave after that. Now it is just much cheaper to get eBay unlock service instead of paying for 6 months service in order to get phones unlocked.
    Why pay for four months to get an unlock under the 90 policy? Three months, ok.

    And yes, those extra two months (or three? for some) most folks would have paid to Metro are now going to 3rd party unlockers. Metro screwed themselves with the unlock policy change.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    56
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    What is the reimbursement amount.
    After the activation, is there any monthly residual to the activating dealer from the monthly service fee, or any source item other than above?

    The above info tends to make me more supportive of dealers.
    Reimbursement amount is the IR that customers receive on their phone minus $7. There is no residual from monthly fees but the $3 processing fee paid in store goes to dealer.
    Luckily all accessories profits go to dealer. If it werent for accessories many stores would shut down or barely turn a profit.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by kor3anking; 07-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sim switching?
    By madmike269 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 04:32 PM
  2. SIM switch
    By nknhoesout in forum Danger
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 03:29 PM
  3. SIM switch to V60i troubles
    By andrewv in forum AT&T
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 09:28 PM
  4. Changing from 3650 to 6600, just a sim switch?
    By isando in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 12:16 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 11:29 AM

Bookmarks