Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: TracFone CDMA/Verizon Phones Must be VoLTE Capable before End of 2019

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    That's a bit pretentious. The newer devices are arguably the bigger "security risk" since there are so many people with this mindset on bleeding-edge hardware/software.
    Not really. The GS5 is 5yrs old.
    The OS (MM, 6.0) has unpatched known security holes. And they won't ever be patched.

Newer OSes have been patched and will get patches as new issues are discovered.

Granted you might could run a 3rd party OS like Lineage. But I'm not sure. Locked bootloaders have been a lot harder to unlock for while, especially the Verizon versions.

And I don't know if you technical skill would allow for it if you even had the desire.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post There's a case to be made for it

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Not really. The GS5 is 5yrs old.
    The OS (MM, 6.0) has unpatched known security holes. And they won't ever be patched...
    True, but the vast majority of that stuff is pretty hypothetical and not widely exploited. It's not an excuse to use insecure software, but also not a good excuse to give up on good hardware.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    True, but the vast majority of that stuff is pretty hypothetical and not widely exploited. It's not an excuse to use insecure software, but also not a good excuse to give up on good hardware.
    And if you can get a current, actively maintained ROM for it, great.

I moved from my LG G2 due to lack of maintenance.

And if I were looking to do it today the GS5 wouldn't be on my list. Even if currently maintained I doubt it will be for long. Too many changes causing too many problems for KK/MM era devices.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What would you recommend today for a rootable phone with decent ROM support and a 5.5" or larger screen? I haven't kept like you probably have.

And if you can get a current, actively maintained ROM for it, great.

I moved from my LG G2 due to lack of maintenance.

And if I were looking to do it today the GS5 wouldn't be on my list. Even if currently maintained I doubt it will be for long. Too many changes causing too many problems for KK/MM era devices.
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    What would you recommend today for a rootable phone with decent ROM support and a 5.5" or larger screen? I haven't kept like you probably have.
    The Moto E5 with its 5.7" screen is too big for me as a daily carry, but I like it as a backup phone. I got a Simple Mobile E5 last Black Friday for about $25 after Ebates (or FREE if counting the $25 referral bonus). It has both CDMA and GSM radios, can work on Verizon, AT&T, and T-mo through Tracfone. The big 4000mAh battery is great. There are some threads on XDA forum about rooting the E5, but I don't follow them closely.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Moto G5+. Good 3rd party support including P.

I've only followed sub $400 Verizon compatible though. Screen size wasn't a priority

The E4 and E4+ have decent N options but bo O yet.

Maybe the E5 but bigger than you want.
    Same for G6/7. Z stuff was over budget.

The unlocked LG stuff (G5/6) is slim.

I haven't tracked Samsung stuff (GS7/8) due to price, but I think they are too big.

Honestly I'd probably still be using the LG G2 if this E4+ wasn't under $50.

Device(s)
    LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK - Question: Is there any current Tracfone/Verizion phone offered that isn't HUGE?

Are there any ANDROID phones that are approximately the size of the LG 41C/Ultimate 2 & Samsung Galaxy S5?

LG41C Dimensions: Dimensions 5.01" (H) x 2.63" (W) x 0.38" (D)

It looks like the LG G5/VS987 is about the only one (has a replaceable battery as well).
    LG G5 Dimensions: (5.88 x 2.91 x 0.30 in)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_dave View Post
    OK - Question: Is there any current Tracfone/Verizion phone offered that isn't HUGE?

Are there any ANDROID phones that are approximately the size of the LG 41C/Ultimate 2 & Samsung Galaxy S5?

It looks like the LG G5/VS987 is about the only one (has a replaceable battery as well).
    5" small enough? ..... https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-rebe...tdata/9128705#

@hpham and @ST Dog - thanks for the suggestions to my question.

Device(s)
    LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks @tfusr19 !

LG Rebel 4 / L212VL Dimensions: 5.70'' (H) x 2.83'' (W) x 0.31'' (D)

And has a replaceable battery

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_dave View Post
    And has a replaceable battery
    Practically a moot point. By the time you need a replacement good ones won't be available.

One issue I have with my LG G2 is the battery. It's a 5.5 yr old device that I bought new 3.5 yrs ago. I can't find a recent production batter of good quality. Lots of crappy clones, but they are below spec capacity and lose capacity fast.

Also note that all phone/tablet batteries are replaceable. Some are just harder to do than others. Look at all the replacement iPhone batteries out there.

Just takes effort/care to get to them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    5" small enough? ..... https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-rebe...tdata/9128705#

@hpham and @ST Dog - thanks for the suggestions to my question.
    I just bought and activated the LG Rebel 4 and like it. I'm not a "power" smartphone user and the Rebel 4 does everything I want without complaint. The power button is on the back which I find awkward, but you can activate or shut off the display by double-tapping any blank spot so I end up not using the power button anyway.

The other Tracfone branded 5" phone is the Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit. Note that I got the Rebel 4 with 365/1200/1200/1200 for the same price as HSN, but from Tracfone on ebay. Not as many minutes as the HSN deal, but ebay had a 10% ebay bucks deal that day so the value is probably about the same.

Also, the Rebel 4 is running Android 8.1 while some of Tracfone's other "new" phones are running as old as Android 6.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawolf View Post
    I just bought and activated the LG Rebel 4 and like it. I'm not a "power" smartphone user and the Rebel 4 does everything I want without complaint. The power button is on the back which I find awkward, but you can activate or shut off the display by double-tapping any blank spot so I end up not using the power button anyway.

The other Tracfone branded 5" phone is the Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit. Note that I got the Rebel 4 with 365/1200/1200/1200 for the same price as HSN, but from Tracfone on ebay. Not as many minutes as the HSN deal, but ebay had a 10% ebay bucks deal that day so the value is probably about the same.

Also, the Rebel 4 is running Android 8.1 while some of Tracfone's other "new" phones are running as old as Android 6.
    Great little phone, 5" screen is what I settled on..

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Kind of the same subject.. I just switched alarm monitoring companies and they did not want to re-activate my alarm system as it has a older CDMA communicator card.. They did re-activate it, but said I had to upgrade to the newer LTE card before the end of the year.. Something to think about for folks that have alarm systems that use verizon to communicate with central monitoring..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    said I had to upgrade to the newer LTE card before the end of the year..
    Hmm. That's the stuff that I though was supposed to continue..

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hmm. That's the stuff that I though was supposed to continue..
    The card in my alarm is CDMA only, so if they deactivate the network, stands to reason the card will no longer work..

Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast