Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Success With Roaming on AT&T HSPA?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Success With Roaming on AT&T HSPA?

I noticed about a year ago that Verizon added 3G roaming on their maps in certain markets especially in West Virginia where AT&T and Sprint have a large footprint. But I never heard anyone report back on whether or not of they were able to roam onto AT&T. In parts of Eastern WV it was USCC roaming but only with 1x which you can't even use for text messenging. Below are maps from Verizon (Without CDMA Coverage) and AT&T.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Based upon the information I can find from other users, and not being able to force roaming on AT&T in areas that should have it, I can pretty confidently say that if you have a CDMA enabled device, you won't be roaming on AT&T. AT&T roaming seems to be reserved for those using a non-CDMA device, such as the Intel version of the iPhone 8/X. From what I'm able to find, their activation system will see that the phone doesn't have any CDMA and will add it, but for those of us with CDMA enabled devices, we are basically SOL. Several Verizon reps have confirmed that they are unable to add the AT&T roaming profile to a line with CDMA enabled, so if you want AT&T roaming you will need to switch to a device that is compatible with Verizon's LTE network and has their "blessing" to be on the network, but lacks CDMA.

Feedback Score
    All you have too have is the CDMA-LESS DEVICE PROVISIONING feature on the line. If you know how to trick the system it’s easily done

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwynegar View Post
    All you have too have is the CDMA-LESS DEVICE PROVISIONING feature on the line. If you know how to trick the system it’s easily done
    The problem with tricking the system is it is too easy for someone to undo the change

I left ATT postpaid because they couldn't figure out how to fix my account and give me something that they were supposed to be able to support, and worked for several months.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I certainly remember there being an LTE only feature phone topic which mentioned those phones having the ability to roam on at&t. Have tried to find it but takes some time to comb through the other similar topics.
    The roaming would certainly come in handy since I remember passing through an area with only att signal while all othoooer carriers had none.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randamin View Post
    I certainly remember there being an LTE only feature phone topic which mentioned those phones having the ability to roam on at&t. Have tried to find it but takes some time to comb through the other similar topics.
    The roaming would certainly come in handy since I remember passing through an area with only att signal while all othoooer carriers had none.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    There was mention about a feature that is applied to compatible, no CDMA, models. Like the Intel iPhone 8/8+/X. But if CDMA radio is on phone it is not provided. Kind of time consuming and expensive to test, buying phones, getting service, and travel.

Feedback Score
    At this point in time Verizon should stop requiring CDMA in new devices since they are killing it off in 580 days

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I find it interesting that in Alaska, Verizon users roam on GCI legacy CDMA 1X/EVDO and GSM/Edge throughout the state, and GCI LTE in the Kenai Peninsula.

There are also a bunch of LTEiRA areas in the state as well, but these show up as Native Verizon on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    At this point in time Verizon should stop requiring CDMA in new devices since they are killing it off in 580 days
    Apparently Verizon already has some "flip" phones that are LTE only, and they allow non CDMA iPhone 8/8+/X.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have an intel iPhone 8+. I still have yet to see the thing roam.

I haven’t really had the need to travel to true roaming areas like WV or central TX but some parts of the Idaho coverage map seemed to indicate I could see this HSPA roaming in fringe areas. I didn’t see any roaming in those areas my phone would simply go “No Service” or just barely cling to VZ LTE.

iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    My question is:
    Why is having a CDMA capable radio in your device the determining factor for roaming on ATT?

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenTBK View Post
    My question is:
    Why is having a CDMA capable radio in your device the determining factor for roaming on ATT?
    Roaming costs

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    This is rather interesting. Maybe, someday, we can just have full cross-roaming. It's also interesting that they're doing HSPA+ and not LTE roaming. I did see some Verizon phones on AT&T the other day, but they were SOS-only, full bars, AT&T was the only provider in the area. Verizon has allowed a few other non-CDMA phones on their network, I believe an HTC Android phone and something else, but I could be wrong. Would this HSPA+ roaming include Snowshoe, WV, where Verizon has never had service, but AT&T has their crazy 1mw DAS contraption?

Feedback Score

Success With Roaming on AT&T HSPA?

Cell phones with full cross carrier roaming would be rather boring. It would be like electricity. Are you proud of where your electricity is generated or who your supplier is? Is there a fan site tracking new power line deployments across the country?
    What will happen when all wireless is usable by all authorized devices? Won’t be as fun to track anymore.
    And sniff, someday when wireless is a commodity HoFo will probably shut down.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Cell phones with full cross carrier roaming would be rather boring. It would be like electricity. Are you proud of where your electricity is generated or who your supplier is? Is there a fan site tracking new power line deployments across the country?
    What will happen when all wireless is usable by all authorized devices? Won’t be as fun to track anymore.
    And sniff, someday when wireless is a commodity HoFo will probably shut down.
    Not really. I think we'd still care about who is getting what speeds, who is roaming on whom, who deployed what band. I understand what you're saying, but I think you're missing the fact that service quality could still vary widely. Roaming would likely be throttled, and your carrier's service would still matter a LOT when in their own coverage area, roaming would only be after you'd totally dropped service from your own carrier. For example, Sprint roams on Verizon and AT&T, but my AT&T service is night and day to Sprint's terrible service. Sprint might be on Verizon 1x while AT&T is pulling 20mbps on LTE. They both have coverage, but it's not equivalent. I have roamed on AT&T with Sprint, and I couldn't make a phone call, since it's LTE-only. There is still a lot to differentiate carriers even if basic voice, text, and 256kbps data were fully cross-roamed in extremely rural areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast