Thread: Cricket Service Payment Card - anyone used as a Visa?

Feedback Score

Cricket Service Payment Card - anyone used as a Visa?

So I bought some of the "Service Payment Cards" from Target during the 10% off sale. These cards are different from the Cricket Refill Cards, in that they have a full Visa type account number, an expiration date, and a three digit CVV2 code. They're issued by MetaBank.

So I haven't seen any mention of anyone trying this, but I thought I'd ask before I try it... Has anyone used these to pay for something other than Cricket services, like a regular prepaid Visa card? I would assume MetaBank has them locked down to only authorize for one payee (Cricket) but it would be sweet to buy $0.90 dollars to use for other stuff the next time Target has a sale if it worked that way.

Feedback Score
    I bet they will only pay cricket. In my job we use a vendor to make payments for us that uses metabank. The vendor/metabank issues single use credit cards that are unique to that payment and locked so they can not be used for other purposes.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So to answer my own question, I just tried to use the service payment card to pay my power bill... no luck. Fortunately it didn't mess up my ability to pay my Cricket bill with it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phroberts View Post
    So to answer my own question, I just tried to use the service payment card to pay my power bill... no luck. Fortunately it didn't mess up my ability to pay my Cricket bill with it.
    Yeah, I figured that was locked down at MetaBank.

I believe the main reason Cricket is moving to MetaBank-issued Service Payment Cards instead of the traditional Refill Cards is to avoid double sales taxes. Many states (like my own Arkansas) insist on collecting sales taxes, 911 service fees, and the like on *all* prepaid phone cards, even if those taxes & fees are charged on the underlying account. Cricket technically charges all required taxes & fees, but reduces its own charges so the advertised total is correct, just like T-Mo & especially MetroPCS; thus taxing Refill Cards amounts to double taxation. Service Payment Cards avoid double taxation because they're issued by a third party (MetaBank), so they're technically prepaid debit cards instead of prepaid phone cards.