Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Do you think most of the former prepay stigma has disappeared?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    I was trying to get a friend to switch to prepaid to save some money. She told me "Boost Mobile is for drug dealers". How that one particular carrier got that stigma is something I didn't delve into.

However... driving around town, I do see WAY more prepaid phone stores in economically underprivileged areas. Maybe that has something to do with the stigma.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Feedback Score
    I was the top sales rep in three states for a Sprint preferred retailer. I always told people that prepaid gives subpar service and has lower priority over postpaid (somewhat true, but mostly not). It's really easy to display knowledge superiority in wireless to most people if you know the right things to say. In reality, Sprint MNVO's are all prioritized the same way. Not sure about how other carriers work though.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Postpaid generally gives you some benefit over prepaid. Whether that benefit is worth some of the extra money is up to you.

Better speeds and priorities. Depends on carrier. Some, speeds are the same. Generally, prioritized differently, but may not be noticeable.

Access to the newest phones.

Access to DPPs.

Supposedly better CS.

Better roaming coverage. But T-Mobile and ATT really limit data roaming even on Postpaid.

International roaming (though prepaid now may support Canada/Mexico. Just 3 years ago Postpaid didn't include "free" roaming to Canada for me).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Why is there a "stigma"?

As I am walking around who the heck knows what phone service I have? It's not like the radio waves coming to my phone are green while all the cool kids have red waves going to their phones.

HoFo nerds continue to overanalyze
    My daughter who’s in high school has mentioned a couple of times that her friends have teased her about having Cricket because of those silly furry and blobby mascots. Of course, high school kids will make fun of each other for any little thing and they probably have no idea what their parents are paying for service.

My brother-in-law and wife have the attitude that they would rather pay more for something because their time is too valuable to waste in saving a few bucks here and there. I don’t know how AT&T’s coverage is in Boston, but they swear by Verizon. They’re probably paying $200 a month for themselves and their daughter for service.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Do you think most of the former prepay stigma has disappeared?

I know a few people who make well into six figures who use prepaid. Some of them boast about what a great deal they are getting.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    In my mind the stigma has switched to the poor uninformed blokes who still pay top dollar for premium post paid service. I have a friend who has two unlimited post paid Verizon plans and pays more for his two lines than I do for 4 with Cricket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    In my mind the stigma has switched to the poor uninformed blokes who still pay top dollar for premium post paid service. I have a friend who has two unlimited post paid Verizon plans and pays more for his two lines than I do for 4 with Cricket
    Maybe they need/want the benefits that the Verizon postpaid lines offer. You can't compare 2 different products and say one is worth more or less than another. If the Verizon and cricket lines were identical services, then you can say one is overpaying over another, since they are not, it's an impossible comparison and depends squarely on the user and their needs/wants.

That said, I think, as others have said, this is an internet argument only. Nobody gives a flying crap what service provider someone else uses. But, what has changed is the arrogance of some prepaid users online. As the post I quoted shows, some prepaid users have gotten this "know it all, superior" attitude about them the last few years. That they know a secret to saving money and anyone who doesn't agree is just wasting money and foolish. That there is no alternative, if someone doesn't use a prepaid carrier, they are just foolish. This attitude had crept into the prepaid conversations a lot lately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    My daughter who’s in high school has mentioned a couple of times that her friends have teased her about having Cricket because of those silly furry and blobby mascots. Of course, high school kids will make fun of each other for any little thing and they probably have no idea what their parents are paying for service.

My brother-in-law and wife have the attitude that they would rather pay more for something because their time is too valuable to waste in saving a few bucks here and there. I don’t know how AT&T’s coverage is in Boston, but they swear by Verizon. They’re probably paying $200 a month for themselves and their daughter for service.
    Can't speak to Boston. Where they think they have an accent but it's just a bunch of people saying **** wrong. In my opinion and experience certai Verizon has the most contiguous coverage in the nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    I know a few people who make well into six figures who use prepaid. Some of them boast about what a great deal they are getting.
    Myself and my employees make 6 figures. Granted we company expense phone service. Anyone who chooses not to use what i decide gets an allowance and is not in the phone upgrade circle. Otherwise everyone gets a new S or Note yearly. Only 1 person chooses to pay for Verizon. They do it for a lake house. I own the ones all around them. The sevice is mediocre inside the houses with Cricket. Not sure what she uses her phone in there that is so important.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    As the post I quoted shows, some prepaid users have gotten this "know it all, superior" attitude about them the last few years.
    Never claimed to know it all...What I do know is that for me Cricket works and is the best price for what I need and I even expense my cell plan for Work, too! I was on top dollar post paid Verizon for many many years until I got sick and tired of contracts and overage fees and miscellaneous other “fees” and switched 5 lines over to Cricket and cut my cell bill in half with no appreciable drop in service. If people want to pay top dollar for goods and services that’s their choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    Never claimed to know it all...What I do know is that for me Cricket works and is the best price for what I need and I even expense my cell plan for Work, too! I was on top dollar post paid Verizon for many many years until I got sick and tired of contracts and overage fees and miscellaneous other “fees” and switched 5 lines over to Cricket and cut my cell bill in half with no appreciable drop in service. If people want to pay top dollar for goods and services that’s their choice.
    If they need or even just want the extra benefits that they receive for that top dollar they didn't overpay for anything, they can argue if you want to save a few dollars for a lesser service go right ahead. The point is there is no right or wrong solution. Someone on prepaid isn't smarter and someone on postpaid isn't stupid for choosing their service. They are just choosing the service that works for them. To claim cricket service is the same as postpaid at&t/verizon is false, with the savings people get on cricket there are sacrifices, if those matter or not to the person is up to them, they aren't wrong either way they choose. I'm not sure when or why some prepaid users actually became snobs.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never given a damn what people think and people who think that way deserve to pay more and get screwed anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post

That is why I have Cricket for the furry friends. LOL

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Probably, there is stigma associated with most lower cost options, regardless of industry. I personally couldn't care less. As the great Bill Gates once said (in the Simpsons) "I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks".

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    The IRS won't accept prepay as a legitimate phone service. I needed a copy of my tax transcript to prove to my wife's insurance company that I am, in fact, her spouse. Part of the verification process with the IRS involves sending a text message to your cellphone as long as it isn't prepay. If you are on prepay then they will send you a letter, in a couple of weeks, maybe, if they get around to it. There is no way to tie a prepaid number to a specific individual. They treat Google Voice numbers the same way

Almost lost my health insurance because of it. It was a one time thing. Other than that I don't have any problems.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    The IRS won't accept prepay as a legitimate phone service.
    No surprise here. The IRS is nothing but a huge train wreck these days.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast