Thread: Need Help, Few Questions

Feedback Score

Need Help, Few Questions

I'm all over the place. I read that Cricket has GSM but also CDMA, so I'm guessing it runs primarily on the AT&T network. Can anyone confirm? If this is true, it really doesn't work for me because at work they have a Verizon base station. I also read that with their plans, you can use the service in Canada? I'm leaving to Canada in a week for a few days and I also wanted people to chime in on this also. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    In the USA it's GSM only. Cricket is solely owned by AT&T.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    I think cricket used to be cdma before AT&T acquired them and blended in AIO. Now it's solely GSM AFAIK.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceBK View Post
    I'm all over the place. I read that Cricket has GSM but also CDMA, so I'm guessing it runs primarily on the AT&T network. Can anyone confirm? If this is true, it really doesn't work for me because at work they have a Verizon base station. I also read that with their plans, you can use the service in Canada? I'm leaving to Canada in a week for a few days and I also wanted people to chime in on this also. Thanks in advance.
    You didn't mention who your current carrier is. If you currrently have vzw postpaid, they can provide you with roaming ,assuming you have a compatable handset. A vzw "base station" doesn't necessarily preclude cricket/at t from working there. Ask a fellow worker. Any att handset will work with cricket.
    Go to cricket wireless.com, call a store, check with your current carrier. If you find that att happens to work where you work, then your golden with cricket with appropriate handset.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    You didn't mention who your current carrier is. If you currrently have vzw postpaid, they can provide you with roaming ,assuming you have a compatable handset. A vzw "base station" doesn't necessarily preclude cricket/at t from working there. Ask a fellow worker. Any att handset will work with cricket.
    Go to cricket wireless.com, call a store, check with your current carrier. If you find that att happens to work where you work, then your golden with cricket with appropriate handset.
    Cricket was CDMA when they were owned by Leap Wireless. AT&T bought AIO then Cricket. Cricket and AIO were merged together and GSM was already AT&T standard so it only made sense for Cricket to become GSM.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Yea I tried a bunch of different carriers. ATT only gets about 1 bar, Sprint even worse. Verizon is the only service that works flawlessly. I'm currently on Straight Talk with the CDMA network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceBK View Post
    Yea I tried a bunch of different carriers. ATT only gets about 1 bar, Sprint even worse. Verizon is the only service that works flawlessly. I'm currently on Straight Talk with the CDMA network.
    The phone itself may play a role in signal strength, too, but if others with AT&T have lousy service where you work, Cricket will be the same. Likewise, it sounds like if there's a Verizon distributed antenna system, it's only going to help those who use devices on Verizon's network (so, despite Sprint being CDMA and LTE, their customers won't be able to take advantage of it), so if you're looking to go to a new carrier and must have great coverage at work, you'll want something that runs on Verizon's network. Basically, it's like a Verizon tower inside your building (we have an AT&T one in one of the buildings where I work).

In terms of your Canada question, since that got lost in the shuffle, Cricket's unlimited plans and some older plans offer roaming in Canada and Mexico - the terms state, "Number of texts, number of voice minutes, and amount of high-speed data used while in Mexico and Canada cannot exceed 50% of the total no. of texts, voice minutes, or data allowance in a month for any consecutive three month period or your service may be terminated," so basically if you're using it in Canada or Mexico regularly, you're going to also have to put some heavy use on it here. If it's for a one-off trip, you should be fine:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/mexi...ing-plans.html