Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Visible...a New Verizon MVNO?

Feedback Score
    >Why? All phones will be VoLTE.

Because it's not the what, it's the when. Per your logic, we might as well give up on life and go fetal now, since we're all going to die anyway. But when that happens kinda matters a bit.

Verizon's CDMA sunset is 1.5 years away. VZW VoLTE-eligible phones are still in the vast minority, especially BYOD phones, which I can list the models of on one hand. So you're saying that Visible should cater to the smallest possible demographic, offering only a single price point, and wait for 1.5 years before hoping to break even? This is Verizon's secret plan to grab marketshare from the competition?

>The whole idea to is to shed legacy cost structure like retail stores, phone based customer support, and old technologies like CDMA. Makes sense to me.

Heh, you got me chuckling at phone-based customer support as a "legacy cost structure" to be shed.

Do report on your experience with the service, although per the above I'd probably want to have a packet of salt handy.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >
    Heh, you got me chuckling at phone-based customer support as a "legacy cost structure" to be shed.
    Chuckle if you will... but when was the last time you needed to call a cell company and for what? Those call centers are a major cost, and the industry is mature enough that most people don’t need support (or want to pay for it)... especially if they have iPhones, which maybe is why they are initially iPhone only?

PS my SIM arrived today but I’m not sure I have a phone for it. My main phone is an iPhone X on T-Mobile and want to keep it. I have a spare iPhone 7+ for the car and two iPhone SE on MetroPCS but I’m not sure any of them will work on Visible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    Chuckle if you will... but when was the last time you needed to call a cell company and for what? Those call centers are a major cost, and the industry is mature enough that most people don’t need support (or want to pay for it)... especially if they have iPhones, which maybe is why they are initially iPhone only?

PS my SIM arrived today but I’m not sure I have a phone for it. My main phone is an iPhone X on T-Mobile and want to keep it. I have a spare iPhone 7+ for the car and two iPhone SE on MetroPCS but I’m not sure any of them will work on Visible.
    Mine is coming on Monday, I have an unlocked 6s Plus originally on Verizon but now on Straight Talk. Let me know if you decide to load one of your phones up on Visible and how it works for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceBK View Post
    Mine is coming on Monday, I have an unlocked 6s Plus originally on Verizon but now on Straight Talk. Let me know if you decide to load one of your phones up on Visible and how it works for you.
    Beware porting from Straight Talk to Visible: https://www.reddit.com/r/VisibleWireless/comments/8iqp9t/any_porting_problems/

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Honestly I don’t get where the whole “test” thing comes from. “Test”? Verizon has had VoLTE since 2014. You are making it sound like it’s experimental when over 92% of their traffic is already LTE and it will be 100% next year. The testing part was in 2013.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-by-end-2019

The fact that the didn’t build legacy device support into Visible is hardly surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We'll see what happens.

I'd say only 75% have VoLTE devices take or give.

If they start adopting new features and then testing it here first than it will make sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The SEs should work, IF unlocked.

The 7+ if have qualcomm modem, and unlocked.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The SEs should work, IF unlocked.

The 7+ if have qualcomm modem, and unlocked.
    Yeah, that's the weird thing - it seems Verizon has no problem activating an unlocked 8, 8 Plus, or X with an Intel modem, but the 7/7 Plus still have to have the Qualcomm modem. I suspect they have "some SEs" on the list because there's the A1723 model that was sold for Sprint that has no Band 13 support. An unlocked A1662 should be fine (it's the sold-unlocked/AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon model).

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the correction. I don't follow Sprint unique phone issues. Family/friends use T-Mobile and ATT, and I've used both Verizon and ATT in recent years.

My primary usage is on the ATT network since my work location doesn't support Verizon well for me. I think the lack of hotspot support, for me, would be a deal breaker. In case my home internet goes down, or I want to try to connect in from "outside", the phone is useful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    Beware porting from Straight Talk to Visible: https://www.reddit.com/r/VisibleWire...ting_problems/
    This is my issue, and it has not been resolved. It’s also happening to another Redditor, and possibly others.

Feedback Score
    I had to leave straight talk they tried to make me pay to leave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvnoresearch View Post
    Anybody interested in a referral code? 0EEDE (and the first digit there is a zero, not the letter O)
    Thanks for the code. It worked for me.

Feedback Score
    Wish they had some sort of DATA PASS program like T-Mobile for my iPad. I am now FULL TIME on T-Mobile. I would love to have extra coverage from Verizon just for ROAD TRIPS.

I used to have full time Verizon coverage from Total Wireless and whenever I go on road trips, I just go to my iPad and buy a $10/5GB/5MONTHS data pass for extra T-Mobile coverage that usually last me a few road trips and it works in Canada & Mexico, too. The T-Mobile DATA-FOR-LIFE program provides me a T-Mobile SIM card for my iPad without me having to pay any maintenance fee and it makes a data pass purchase so QUICK & EASY.

If any V*S*BLE folks read this, please provide a DATA PASS program. I'm willing to wait 5 days to get a SIM card mailed to me when I buy a data pass from you. I'm willing to pay up to $20/5GB/1MONTH if you don't nickel & dime me for the SIM cost

Feedback Score
    >when was the last time you needed to call a cell company and for what?

I wasn't going to respond to this, as some things are better left unsaid. But then I saw the Google Duplex demo and thought, that that (AI+NLP) would be the perfect antidote to the tech support woes that we've all suffered. Well, except for you apparently.

Just FYI, phone support isn't a "legacy cost" that can be shed, unless you consider humans to be a "legacy" that will disappear any time soon. People will always need real-time help in whatever services you provide, and talking about the problem, as opposed to thumb-typing it out on a phone, is the easiest way. It's why even cheapo MVNOs have phone support. This is so abundantly obvious that it's difficult for me to say it and keep a straight face.

"Calling for appts" is a simpler application than troubleshooting phone problems. There are fewer "tiers" of possibilities. But phone (or whatever) service issues fit into a finite domain that's well contained and thus suitable for ML.

Tech support is only one area for AI+NLP. Anything that requires non-local interactions (eg phone surveys, sales calls, etc) would be fair game. Games would no longer need to have canned speech. I can see it even for face-to-face use, eg a secretary/receptionist bot.

When I watched the Duplex demo, I see the end of a lot of service jobs in a few years. Not sure why Goog is pitching it to consumers first, when businesses would be a fertile audience for this capability. I'm guessing it's fairly primitive right now, hence "making appts" gets the first nod. But it's a natural progression, and people should be scared and start planning ahead.

Back to Visible. I've no illusion about its prospects, and I doubt VZW does, either. It's hard to get people to switch phone service. Xfinity Mobile has a much better value proposition, with a much higher profile rollout, and adoption rate AFAIK hasn't been stellar. With its many constraints, it's hard to take Visible seriously as a bona fide provider. Even if it becomes one, it'll be just one more provider in the sea of MVNOs. Maybe Verizon will expand Visible's capabilities, but fear of cannibalizing its own business will be yet another constraint.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Visible...a New Verizon MVNO?

>
    Just FYI, phone support isn't a "legacy cost" that can be shed, unless you consider humans to be a "legacy" that will disappear any time soon.
    I disagree, and apparently Verizon (Visible) does too.

No one under 30 needs support with cell phones, and especially with iPhones (which is all they support). Visible is clearly targeting that market... the exact opposite of Consumer Cellular that targets older people who with greater support needs.

Cell phones aren’t “new” anymore, people don’t need support for a phone like they don’t need support for a microwave... it just works. And when their monthly plan is single user only and iPhone only they’ve made it as dead simple as it can be.

I think people will be herded to the carrier appropriate for their needs... just like credit cards, or cars, or anything else. Visible isn’t your fathers Verizon.

Edit: In my experience, the only thing I’ve needed support for is plan related, and with one plan at one price they’ve completely eliminated any scenario I’d need support for. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Back to Visible. I've no illusion about its prospects, and I doubt VZW does, either. It's hard to get people to switch phone service. Xfinity Mobile has a much better value proposition, with a much higher profile rollout, and adoption rate AFAIK hasn't been stellar. With its many constraints, it's hard to take Visible seriously as a bona fide provider. Even if it becomes one, it'll be just one more provider in the sea of MVNOs. Maybe Verizon will expand Visible's capabilities, but fear of cannibalizing its own business will be yet another constraint.
    I think the big thing hurting Xfinity Mobile has been its parent company. While there's a good value proposition of bundling your home internet and cheap phone service on a good network, a lot of people simply don't like Comcast and want to keep as little involvement with them as possible (one could argue the same with AT&T or many other cable companies). The service seems pretty good, but with BYOD iPhones not being supported early on and then some of the requirements like postpaid service (SSN at signup), I think a lot of people decided to pass and haven't reconsidered, despite the big push. Visible may have its own challenges, but seems to be a bit more frictionless to try out, especially for folks that like MVNOs/prepaid services.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast