Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Visible...a New Verizon MVNO?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score

Visible...a New Verizon MVNO?

Just curious if anyone had heard of this, as someone mentioned it on Reddit - looks like it's sort of like a version of Cricket's Unlimited plan (formerly Unlimited 2), but runs on Verizon (5Mbps cap, 480p video throttle) - since we've seen some fly-by-night MVNOs in the past, I'm keeping an eye on this out of fascination:

http://bevisible.com

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm very interested in this for my main phone plan but does it really have the 5mbps download speed throttle? It wouldn't matter to me but I'm curious as I've got US Mobile's 5mbps unlimited Verizon plan now (cheapest unlimited Verizon I could find without the need for Xfinity home internet at the time) for $50... If this is good I'll be switching

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    From the "service in an app" blurb, Visible sounds like a VoIP service, like Republic Wireless. Being iPhone-only (no Android) is another clue. RW's VoIP issues are then pertinent to this new provider, likely even more so since you are an "early access" member (read: paying beta tester).

"Unlimited data" doesn't mean much, since there's no mention of the amount of fast data you get before being throttled or deprioritized. That's the sticking point, and I find the omission dishonest. $40/mo for VoIP service beta test, with uncertain data allotment, is frankly a rip-off.
    Yeah, they're leaning on the app heavily in marketing, leading me to believe it's like Republic Wireless or FreedomPop. I'm not looking to jump in any time soon, especially because I'd rather have access to the native Phone app and such, but wasn't sure if anyone had any data points. I do find some under-the-radar MVNOs fascinating sometimes, even if I don't necessarily find their features or business model working for me.

Feedback Score
    from the reddit topic, someone that supposedly works there said "the Visible App is only used to sign up for service and manage your account. You use your phone's native functionality for calls/texts/etc."

edit: more info about "phone service in an app": "I appreciate the feedback; I've told that to the other members of the leadership team. We were trying to get at: we're digital, no sales people, no stores. You can manage with your account everything from the app without having to go anywhere to talk to anybody."

Other info that was mentioned: Uses volte only phones, also no domestic or international roaming, but international planned for later.
    wifi calling not available yet, but planned.
    Last edited by Qt0; 05-09-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    According to TechCrunch, Visible is funded by Verizon. I was able to get an invite through the chat.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/10/ve...g-and-minutes/

Feedback Score
    Pricing for a single line is okay, but they're throttle to 5mbit and 480p video, basically one step up from Cricket. However, they have no group plans at all, so 2 for $80, 3 for $120, 4 for $160 making it just as expensive as post-paid without any benefits (roaming, international, financing, devices). Not surprising its owned by Verizon at those rates.

Question is how does this effect unlimited plans from StraightTalk, USmobile,or Xfinity Mobile that are priced higher and capped.

Feedback Score
    >According to TechCrunch, Visible is funded by Verizon.

Good find. I thought it'd be hard to search on the name since 'visible' is a common word. But if you go to visible.com, it's redirected to bevisible.com. Since visible.com domain name would command a hefty price tag, it's an indicator that this has deep-pocket backing, ie a corporation, and not a garden-variety startup.

I revise my first take. It's likely not VoIP, but VoLTE. However, my reservations increase. The requirement of an app means a vector for both adware and spyware (this is Verizon). $40/mo for unlimited isn't a great deal considering no hotspot, no roaming, no live customer support, no wifi-calling, and no intl calls. No shenanigan with unauthorized hotspot either, since the app can potentially sniff it out and shut you down.

That, and you're helping VZW beta test its half-baked service. If anything, VZW should be paying you.

As mentioned, there's no multi-line discount, but that's not uncommon for MVNOs.

It's hard to see a value proposition. Not surprisingly, the elevator pitch is pretty vacuous, with the usual bromides around "simple."

If this is a fishing expedition, VZW would need to set better bait, like Comcast did with Xfinity. Sweeteners like $1 phone would help. As it stands, it's an easy pass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    However, they have no group plans at all
    Not yet, but the employee did say it is on their roadmap

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    The CEO is also a VP at Verizon, although it seems pretty hidden from the website.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/miguelquiroga/
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >However, my reservations increase. The requirement of an app means a vector for both adware and spyware (this is Verizon).
    Two things about that. While apps may be vectors for malware on Android this is iOS and considerably more secure.

Second is I don’t think you really need the app anyway, they say it’s just for signing up and I did that on their web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    >Not yet, but the employee did say it is on their roadmap

You judge a service on what's here and now, not on vendor promises.

>While apps may be vectors for malware on Android this is iOS and considerably more secure.

I don't mean spyware in the normal sense. Verizon has been looking to become a content provider for a while now--to wit its go90 service (which flopped)--to diversify away from being a dumb pipe. Having a required app on the user's phone is a big step in getting a foothold to advertise its other services/offerings. The app, which would likely want all manner of system rights, also allows VZW to collect valuable user data. Think Facebook except worse, since your phone service depends on it.

>Second is I don’t think you really need the app anyway, they say it’s just for signing up and I did that on their web site.

Visible's marketing is that the app plays a central role in your service, including account maintenance and customer support. It has voice support, but per the FAQ you need to get "pre-approval" through the app.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Visible's marketing is that the app plays a central role in your service, including account maintenance and customer support.
    Isn’t that true more or less for every carrier?

Anyway I’ll let you know when I get it!

Feedback Score
    Here’s an interesting tidbit I’ve discovered, Verizon bought XO communications last year, whose corporate headquarters was at 10000 Park meadows drive, Lone Tree CO 80124, which happens to be the same address for Visibles headquarters.... hmmm

https://mae.force.com/itsp/Registred...0000008OPoOAAW

http://long-distance-companies.cmac....ications/1717/

Feedback Score
    I went and checked out the reddit thread. 'MVNOResearch' (MR hereafter for short) is the biz rep. Some interesting tidbits:

MR: "Visible only works on Verizon's LTE network, not CDMA."

My take: VZW needs a VoLTE-only/no-CDMA test bed for CDMA retirement next year, and Visible apparently will be it. The iPhone-only restriction is obvious for the beta, since iPhones are the largest homogenous VoLTE-capable group of phones. Android phones have varying firmwares, and take more work to deal with. They'll come after.

MR: "If you use 22-25GB on Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/Cricket/Boost/Virgin your experience changes because you are either deprioritized or you are throttled down to 2G speeds where you can't do any streaming. With Visible, the experience never changes even if you use a massive amount of GBs."

My take: No throttle/DP is good, but the flip side is no hotspot. As said, (unauthorized) hotspot tricks are likely dead because of the required app. VZW isn't dumb enough to allow unlimited/no-DP 5Mbps data and not have safeguards against abuse. The app (as a monitoring service) is the natural vehicle.

MR: "People doing fraud will be kicked off. It's in our TOC."

MR: "Q: Roaming in LTEiRA? or no roaming what so ever? A: none currently, but you've got Verizon LTE coverage"

My take: Visible isn't a regular provider, as a regular provider would want to be as inclusive and get as many users as possible to make money. Restricting service to VoLTE-capable phones is the opposite of that, which means Visible's goal isn't to become a viable startup, but to be a no-CDMA test bed for VZW. That would end after the CDMA sunset on 12/31/19. VZW may still keep Visible around as a test bed for other things, like advertising through its app.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Visible...a New Verizon MVNO?

My take: Visible isn't a regular provider, as a regular provider would want to be as inclusive and get as many users as possible to make money. Restricting service to VoLTE-capable phones is the opposite of that, which means Visible's goal isn't to become a viable startup, but to be a no-CDMA test bed for VZW. That would end after the CDMA sunset on 12/31/19. VZW may still keep Visible around as a test bed for other things, like advertising through its app.
    I’m gonna respectfully disagree with you here. It’s not a technical test at all... they’ve got that. VoLTE isn’t experimental.

Verizon and AT&T have sat by and watched as T-Mobile took almost all of the industry growth for the last five years. I think this is their way of offering a lower cost product without cannibalizing their base of corporate users. No stores. Minimal support. This is just their product with a significantly reduced cost structure.

Seems like a great deal compared to MetroPCS and Cricket and especially if you live somewhere where you need their coverage.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast